my life as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
21-05-2010, 09:18 PM

my life as an atheist
My family is a Catholic. I admit. I have a plan to convince them the peaceful way.

As a family member, I will act like a Christian to them. I will act like I will never go further in science class. I will just pray and don't take my medicines.

Plan B:

I will try to convince my Muslim friend to kill me. The motive should be present: religion. Once I will die... I don't know. At least I don't have to endure being with my family, who doesn't understand me.

My family, is significant to me. I am insignificant to them since I am an atheist. I hope you understand.Sad

The plan is simple.
Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2010, 06:01 PM

RE: my life as an atheist
I can't say I agree with your statements. Family is always there for family, regardless of their differences.

And, coming out to a muslim friend with the knowledge that they would kill you if you insult them makes me come to two conclusions:

1. You shouldn't insult your muslim friend, knowing they'll kill you; and
2. You shouldn't have such a friend if they will go to that length.
23-05-2010, 11:58 AM
(21-05-2010 09:18 PM)filipinoatheist Wrote:  My family is a Catholic. I admit. I have a plan to convince them the peaceful way.

As a family member, I will act like a Christian to them. I will act like I will never go further in science class. I will just pray and don't take my medicines.

Why don't you just tell them? Trust me - my mother and her family are very religious, but nothing bad happened when I told them. They still love me. Try talking to your parents rather than behaving this way.

Quote:Plan B:

I will try to convince my Muslim friend to kill me. The motive should be present: religion. Once I will die... I don't know. At least I don't have to endure being with my family, who doesn't understand me.

Why? What do you think this will change? It will ruin your friend's life, since they will forever be branded a murderer. It will ruin your family's lives, since they will be in mourning over you and in rage against your friend. It won't improve your life, since you'll be dead. And it won't change anyone's opinion about atheism, just about Muslims.

Quote:My family, is significant to me. I am insignificant to them since I am an atheist. I hope you understand.Sad

No, I don't. Family is family, regardless of differences in beliefs. Talk to them. Don't try to get yourself killed.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2010, 12:47 PM
(23-05-2010 11:58 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Why? What do you think this will change? It will ruin your friend's life, since they will forever be branded a murderer. It will ruin your family's lives, since they will be in mourning over you and in rage against your friend. It won't improve your life, since you'll be dead. And it won't change anyone's opinion about atheism, just about Muslims.

This is the most important and significant statement I have seen in a long time.

Did you read it? Read it again.

Well said Unbeliever.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-05-2010, 09:32 PM

I am really disappointed by your thought. god gives us a beautiful life and for that we all are so much lucky.and in every persons's life some troubles,some problems with friends, with our beloved persons or with our parents are comes at any time but for that we always have to be prepare for that kinds of troubles.we don't have to scared by that.but we have to fight against that problem and solve it. but we have to wait for a time and not to take this type of bed decision.
26-05-2010, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2012 07:28 PM by brendanIsBrendan.)
I just go with t
29-05-2010, 10:53 PM

Be confident in your conviction. They will feed on you weakness. If you can convey through body language and tone that you don't deserve their crap, they wont give you crap.
30-05-2010, 11:15 AM

i come from a religious family and community. i became an atheist in my quest to be closer to "God". the ironical twist to a long journey. hah.

i thought about remaining peaceful as possible with my family, especially my father, who is deeply religious. but my brother noticed the books i was reading and the interest i had in science, so he told my father that he thought i was an atheist.

my father confronted me about it and i came forward and said that i did not believe in a personal god and that i have found so much liberation since denouncing my faith. i also explained to him that science had not corrupted me. instead, it has educated me in understanding more about how things work. i do my best to explain my position, that atheism has made a positive impact in my life and continues to do so. although my father disagrees, he has accepted my choice.

i try to avoid arguing with my family & friends. but when they do try to bring up the topic, i ask them if they want to know the truth or if they want to convert me. if they want to convert me, it will not work -- i have done enough research to rebut any of their claims and it would be very hard for me to spare their feelings. if they want to know the truth, they may not like it but i ask for an open mind and that they be prepared to listen. they must sense my conviction that they avoid the topic altogether and that is their choice. i will not impose anything on them until they decide the truth is more important.

the more i hear about religion and creationism, the more intolerant i become. every night, my family pray before eating dinner and i find it so absurd, but i keep my eyes open and wait until they're done with prayer to eat. when we have family prayer, i have to join in on the discussion. but when they ask if i need them to pray for me, i say no. they go to church, i don't. i have plenty of role models i look up to. i read, i watch speeches, i get informed and educated on a vast array of topics. i stay productive. i do my best to speak to everyone as an equal and with respect. by doing so, they have no other choice than to see that i have no moral defect they can latch onto. that's my life being the only atheist i know within a 50 mile radius from home.

before, i used to pray to "God" to guide the way, to show me the purpose of life, only to be disappointed and rejected. i wasted my life praying to "God" because i trusted "Him" with my life. but ever since i came clean with my family about being an atheist, everything is looking up. and it's because i'm in control of my life.

i'm not sure why you'd be depressed and wishing ill will upon yourself. you sound like me when i was still questioning "God" on "His" intentions. i even prayed that "He" kill me by striking me with lightning. this is not about converting one another or proving who's morally better. it's about seeking out the truth. and you can ask yourself, can you live with the truth, or do you need something to comfort you, even if you know it's not true?
30-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Congratulations onglee, it sounds as if your situation has turned out quite well despite not knowing any other Atheists.

When it comes to Theists, I think that their religion has taught them to trust authority figures rather than science, data or even themselves.

For instance, I once tried explaining evolution to a Creationist, I explained it in easy to understand terms and demonstrated how it was an intrinsic property of life. She was still unsure.

However when Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory says "Evolution isn't an opinion mom, it's a fact!" she was instantly converted. I didn't point this out in fear that she would shy away from her enlightenment.

As far as your parents go they probably cannot be converted, younger people however will naturally respect you. I believe if you're subtle enough and just get them thinking you will soon have more Atheist friends. Using words like "the truth" may have negative affects, as many Theists can find that condescending, just as some Atheists would find "I'll pray for you" condescending.

I'm not asking you to preach your Atheism and in your situation it's probably better to just live comfortably, I don't think I would be able to resist thought. All my friends are Atheists, all my family members are Atheist so I don't get to debate too often.
05-06-2010, 02:35 PM

hm...

-> i could imagine that there religios feelings would be hurted but at all there would not happen much... your familie loves you because you are you and not because they think youre irrational and believe in a invisble almighty men who loves it when humans live in pain...