my lunch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2015, 01:01 PM
RE: my lunch
My (very Midwestern) father-in-law is from northeast Kansas, and is very much a "steak and potatoes" kind of guy. He turns his nose up at anything he considers "iffy" food. When he went down last year to spend a week with my parents (mom-in-law takes my Beloved and our kid down to visit, every year, but this was the first time he had gone), and was adamant that he wouldn't eat any of our "weird" Cajun foods.

They finally got him to try a bite of boudin.

He ate five pounds of it, one of each type they had.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2015, 01:04 PM
(20-08-2015 01:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  My (very Midwestern) father-in-law is from northeast Kansas, and is very much a "steak and potatoes" kind of guy. He turns his nose up at anything he considers "iffy" food. When he went down last year to spend a week with my parents (mom-in-law takes my Beloved and our kid down to visit, every year, but this was the first time he had gone), and was adamant that he wouldn't eat any of our "weird" Cajun foods.

They finally got him to try a bite of boudin.

He ate five pounds of it, one of each type they had.

lol.

Our food is funny like that. It looks/sounds insane but you'll never go back one you start eating it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
20-08-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't know what I ate for lunch. I ate something from an 'Asian Fusion' type place where it's a mix of Indian/Thai/Korean/Chinese/????. I don't know what it was and if I did I doubt could spell it anyway, but it was okay. I've had Boudine before, but can't vouch for it's "authenticity". It was okay. It was served to me i Virginia, not Louisiana, as I don't make down to LA that often - I think I've been through (not to) there twice in my entire life. Next time I do wind up down in swamp country I'll have to find a local Mom and Pop place and give it another chance.

20-08-2015, 04:29 PM
There is no true Cajun food outside of Louisiana... and arguably, none north of Interstate 10. Laugh out load

Occasionally one of us will slip off to some distant land and share real food with outsiders. We have a place here in SE Missouri called Broussard's, which has an owner from Crowley, LA, where my grandfather was born and raised.

He can't make a po-boy to save his life, mostly because the bread is hard to do right or get shipped here in time... but his etouffĂ©e is to die for! Pretty decent catfish, too. Totally different recipes than my family's but still Done Right™.

Mais oui, dat's gooooood stuff, yah!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post