my parents claim a miracle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2011, 10:18 PM
my parents claim a miracle
Not even 2 weeks after coming out atheist to my parents (with a letter written by my husband Apostate XP) they call me to tell me that a miracle has happened. He talked about having prayed and prayed for a job or source of income as well as praying to solve their problem of needing sand and gravel for projects but not having the money to buy any. Then he went out digging and searching on his 140 acres of mountainous property - weeks go by without finding anything so he prayed again. He didn't want to move this special tree that went across his road with another tree growing perpendicular out of it (like a cross he says) but he was tired of moving it every time he had to drive the tractor so he decided to dig there. Lo and Behold he found gravel! his problem is solved - he has gravel to work with as well as to sell. He called me all enthusiastic to tell me of this "miracle". I just rolled my eyes and said how nice. He ended with God always provides for his believers.

I wish I could have come back with some kind of argument.

What would you have said?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 11:03 PM by Azaraith.)
RE: my parents claim a miracle
Gravel under a tree that is by the road? You don't say... It seems pretty obvious to me, but the gravel was there because it is used in road construction, as part of the base. Gravel deposits are fairly common, but not guaranteed to be in any 100 acre land parcel...

Better without God, and happier too.
04-12-2011, 11:03 PM
sorry i wasn't clear - it was found in the forest on his mountain on a path he cleared with his tractor - not a real road. Even so - he looked in the ground for gravel and sand - and found it. not like he found gold or found it on the first try. it took dozens of sessions of praying and digging b4 he finally found some. but he claims that because it was found under the tree in the shape of a cross that it was a "miracle" and so he of course got on his knees and prayed his thanks.

Yep he is one of those people who see miracles in the everyday and discount the multitude of times he found nothing.
04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Oh haha... I assumed road meant asphalt paved or at least graded gravel road. Dirt road didn't cross my mind. Not sure, but as you might have noticed from my ninja edit, I checked and the definition and source of gravel was different than my assumption Tongue It's actually pretty common. Not sure, but a tree shaped like a cross doesn't seem unlikely considering trees generally have branches...

Better without God, and happier too.
05-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Tell him that's nice maybe next time a tree looks like a cross he'll look under it faster =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
05-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Witchcraft. Burn the witch! Big Grin

Kidding. Thoughts of woo this day leaves me a witch who can explain everything with superposition and electromagnetic communication. Would be nice if science would get off its backside and prove this shit so I don't hafta keep being a witch on atheist forums. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-12-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm a witch and my love of cats proves it =p I also do many unbelievable things, but really it's the cats that you should watch out for.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
05-12-2011, 12:49 AM
(05-12-2011 12:36 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'm a witch and my love of cats proves it =p I also do many unbelievable things, but really it's the cats that you should watch out for.

Awesome. Yeah, cats dig me too. Can't fool a cat. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-12-2011, 12:53 AM
I experienced a miracle today too. I had no breakfast this morning, the fridge was empty and all. But then, hidden in the deepest corner of my kitchen, I suddenly found a pack of still fairly edible cookies. Surely the Lord must have provided me with these. praise Him! Tongue

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 5 users Like Thammuz's post
05-12-2011, 12:58 AM
(05-12-2011 12:53 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  I experienced a miracle today too. I had no breakfast this morning, the fridge was empty and all. But then, hidden in the deepest corner of my kitchen, I suddenly found a pack of still fairly edible cookies. Surely the Lord must have provided me with these. praise Him! Tongue

Him the Cookie Monster for being shortsighted?Wink

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post