names

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2010, 07:13 PM
names
I want to know, how come Latin American parents name their kids "Jesus" (Hay-zeus) and no parents of other ethnicities, do? Why is that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2010, 07:21 PM
RE: names
I think it's a language thing.

The latin Jesus doesn't mean the same thing as the non-latin Jesus. The spelling is the same, but latin people have different sounds for letters than most nations.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
06-10-2010, 11:15 PM

If your praising god during the act of making it, might as well name the kid after him?

(Just a guess/attempt to be funny)
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Jesus is the Greek name (or is it latin?) for the Hebrew name, which is Joshua. So in fact Jesus is Joshua.

Speaking as a Latin American myself, I think its a culture thing. It isn't blasphemous to us like it would be for white people. In fact there are many women with God in their name. God=Dios in spanish...I know a diosmary.

When I was a christian though, the pastor at my church felt that calling your son Jesus or even Emmanuel (Jesus' other name) was blasphemous, he gave a sermon condemning it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Hehe this is funny, my name is Emmanuel and I'm from Mexico, and yes Jesus is the romanization for Jeshua or Joshua I think, Jesus is a common name here in Mexico, and yes there are male and female names with Jesus or God in their names like Juan de Dios or Maria de Jesus for example.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Ok, that makes more sense to me now.