nature v nurture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2013, 02:16 PM
RE: nature v nurture
(28-05-2013 06:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 01:42 AM)I and I Wrote:  Individuals don't affect their environment at all. Cultures and a people do with their shared notions, shared ideologies, belief systems etc etc. How this culture impresses on an individual is different in degrees hence we have people with different opinions within the framework of the same ideology. A culture and it's politics is not made consciously unfortunately, Mao wrote on this topic a lot. A culture is defined by an objective assumption of an overall daily activities and ideas of a specific group of people. A culture as a whole with it's different aspects and modes of production having an affect on it's political ideology does happen, but this very different from saying that an individual affects that individuals politics. Not counting the fact that you can't even define an "individual". Has an individual ever existed? where and how? did this individual exist?

Checkmate.

Individuals don't affect their environment? Really? So culture exists apart from people and individuals don't exist. Sure.

Your ideas are incoherent.

Nope, individuals do not affect their environment, the actions of people within a culture affect their culture as a whole. Culture is not apart from people, who ever said otherwise?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 06:49 PM
RE: nature v nurture
(28-05-2013 02:16 PM)I and I Wrote:  Nope, individuals do not affect their environment, the actions of people within a culture affect their culture as a whole. Culture is not apart from people, who ever said otherwise?

So which is it? Individuals (people) don't affect their environment or people (individuals) create their environment?

Children, as individuals, are directly affected by their environments, which are created by their parents and those closest to them.

Culture, society, "the people", whatever you choose to call it, is a word describing a mass of individuals who exist within their own environments. It is a concept, and concepts cannot create things.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The elegant nature of science TheBeardedDude 575 33,195 09-08-2014 06:54 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Sensory Benches to connect with nature- Scotland Bows and Arrows 3 100 12-05-2014 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mathilda
  The "laws" of "nature" I and I 16 702 16-09-2013 09:37 AM
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
  Why does human nature not evolve? Buddy Christ 23 753 29-07-2013 01:46 PM
Last Post: Logica Humano
  The elegant nature of Thomas Kuhn I and I 2 257 23-05-2013 08:55 PM
Last Post: nach_in
  The nature of our universe (multiverse) Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 4 320 25-04-2012 04:52 PM
Last Post: NoahsFarce
  Inside Nature's Giants Tubi 11 1,012 27-02-2011 12:43 PM
Last Post: daemonowner