need Italian spelling of a name I heard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2014, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 08:01 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
need Italian spelling of a name I heard.
At Thanksgiving, my 83 YO aunt and I were discussing family tree stuff and she was telling me things about my grandparents that I never really knew.
One of the things she mentioned was that when my relatives came to America from Sicily the family name was changed (very common), and I guess I always knew it was changed but no one had ever said what it was.

Many times when the names were changed it was changed to something the sounded like the original, not a literal translation.

So the family name in America was Cherry. My aunt said the Italian name, but didnt know how to spell it, I will try to try the way it sounded to me

chair-rot- sa.
cheer-rot-sa

imagine it being said with an italian accent.

how do you spell that word?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 08:01 AM
RE: need Italian spelling of a name I heard.
Possibly Cherozza?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
05-12-2014, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 08:09 AM by Chas.)
(05-12-2014 07:52 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  At Thanksgiving, my 83 YO aunt and I were discussing family tree stuff and she was telling me things about my grandparents that I never really knew.
One of the things she mentioned was that when my relatives came to America from Sicily the family name was changed (very common), and I guess I always knew it was changed but no one had ever said what it was.

Many times when the names were changed it was changed to something the sounded like the original, not a literal translation.

So the family name in America was Cherry. My aunt said the Italian name, but didnt know how to spell it, I will try to try the way it sounded to me

chair-rot- sa. imagine it being said with an italian accent.

Could be Chiarezza, Chiarazza, Chiaraza. Consider

Try here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2014, 08:33 AM
(05-12-2014 08:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 07:52 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  At Thanksgiving, my 83 YO aunt and I were discussing family tree stuff and she was telling me things about my grandparents that I never really knew.

chair-rot- sa. imagine it being said with an italian accent.

Could be Chiarezza, Chiarazza, Chiaraza. Consider

Try here.

Or perhaps "Chiarenza"
Last name origin & meaning:
Southern Italian: from the female personal name Chiarenza, from Latin Clarentia meaning ‘shining’, ‘clear’.

Read more on FamilyEducation: http://genealogy.familyeducation.com/sur...z3L2Aadco6

My Italian-American relatives almost swallow the "n" so it could sound like "Char-et'-sa."
05-12-2014, 10:30 AM
The Italian word for cherry is ciliegia. It is pronounced chee-lee-AY-gee-uh, which sounds nothing like what you heard from what I gather.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
I would say Chiarozza - based on your ear-pronunciation and the "zz" has the sound of "TS" in the liasion "rot-sa" as in pizza.

Also, it can't be ignored that I might be basing this guess entirely on a serious craving for a slice of pizza. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-12-2014, 12:06 PM
(05-12-2014 08:01 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Possibly Cherozza?

If you are spelling it in Italian then it wouldn't be che, because that is pronounced kay. It would be cirozza or ciarozza. Think ciao.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
05-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Re: need Italian spelling of a name I heard.
Wouldn't the ch+vowel be more like a K sound? My uncle/godfather was a big NY Italian guy whose parents were from Italy. It would probably start with a C+vowel as stated above, like ciao.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
05-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Chi in Italian is read like "ki", while ci is read like "chee". Not all languages are English. Smile Like WillHopp said, it would be like Cirozza, Ciarozza.

Choose one from here: http://www.italiansrus.com/surnames/iscci-cl.htm

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
05-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Uhm two questions:

1. Is it first name or a last name?
2. Could you record your aunt saying it? I'd like to hear it.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]