need Italian spelling of a name I heard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2014, 06:08 PM
RE: need Italian spelling of a name I heard.
(05-12-2014 05:50 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Uhm two questions:

1. Is it first name or a last name?
2. Could you record your aunt saying it? I'd like to hear it.

Last name

And no I really can't record her because she is atleast an 8 hour drive from me, and on the phone is crazy. 83 kicks in and she gets sucked into looney world.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Well, I've made some research and the closer last names I can find in Sicily with those sounds is Carrozza. If I could hear it, it'd be easier for me to identify the sounds, but I understand that it's not possible for you.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
05-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks for everyone repeating what I already said. Wink

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
06-12-2014, 03:25 AM
Actually my answer is different than yours.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
06-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah, we were posting at the same time. Didn't mean to lump you in their with the other band wagoners. :-)

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
06-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Hey Bow, how come your parents don't have it written anywhere? Grandparents, aunt, any notes, letters anything?

I also saw the name Carrozza, but that counds like car-o-tsa, so it's not this one. I I understood Bow correctly, it sounds like chair or cheer. That is why they changed it to Cherry.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
06-12-2014, 09:20 AM
(06-12-2014 09:04 AM)Filox Wrote:  Hey Bow, how come your parents don't have it written anywhere? Grandparents, aunt, any notes, letters anything?

family drama, someone dies, the person with the house throws everything out, dis-owning siblings, the usual. My parents are both deceased, so this elderly aunt (who is family by marriage) is the only connection I have for my mothers side of the family.

Quote:I also saw the name Carrozza, but that counds like car-o-tsa, so it's not this one. I I understood Bow correctly, it sounds like chair or cheer. That is why they changed it to Cherry.

YES! I was thinking the same thing.

06-12-2014, 10:46 AM
(06-12-2014 09:04 AM)Filox Wrote:  I also saw the name Carrozza, but that counds like car-o-tsa, so it's not this one. I I understood Bow correctly, it sounds like chair or cheer. That is why they changed it to Cherry.

The pronunciation that Bow provided is not standard, therefore it might not properly represent the sounds she heard.

@Bow The first syllable, is it a K sound or a CH sound like "chest"?

Also, I thought about documents and papers, but they might already have misspellings when they were filled in upon arrival. You could look into them to see if you can find something though. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
06-12-2014, 10:54 AM
(06-12-2014 10:46 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Also, I thought about documents and papers, but they might already have misspellings when they were filled in upon arrival. You could look into them to see if you can find something though. Big Grin

Sure, don't you remember how Vito Andolini got his new last name in America?

----
06-12-2014, 12:08 PM
(06-12-2014 10:46 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 09:04 AM)Filox Wrote:  I also saw the name Carrozza, but that counds like car-o-tsa, so it's not this one. I I understood Bow correctly, it sounds like chair or cheer. That is why they changed it to Cherry.

The pronunciation that Bow provided is not standard, therefore it might not properly represent the sounds she heard.

@Bow The first syllable, is it a K sound or a CH sound like "chest"?

Also, I thought about documents and papers, but they might already have misspellings when they were filled in upon arrival. You could look into them to see if you can find something though. Big Grin

ch like chest, chair, cheer