need advice for camera to get quick photos.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2014, 07:29 AM
need advice for camera to get quick photos.
so here is the situation, everyday I walk my daughter to/from school. We cross. 4 lane at a crosswalk. This is a planned community so the idea from the get go, was the whole place is designed around walking. There is a mixed use area with shops and resturants, loads of small parks, trails,etc. I say that in hopes of explaning that I am not trying to change the culture of an area, just fix a bad spot.

So the regular speed limit is only 35-40 mph, during school hours giant yellow lights flash at a sign with 25 mph, there is another sign telling drivers where to yield to pedestrians, there is a bright white crosswalk painted on the road.

everyday we are dodging cars, they fly by, today I had a giant red umbrella and four cars flew right by, its fucking insane.

So the only way I can show the police is if I can catch the drivers that are trying to kill us. My camera on my iphone doesnt focus in on the license plate quickly enough and we are normally walking , rather than still on a tripod.

I need ideas, links to gadgets, etc. to bust these idiots.

For those who might say just drive your daughter the half mile to school - no- I shouldnt have to give up because others cannot follow clearly marked laws. I am going to the police, school board, DOT, etc because many, many kids use this intersection daily, I just need help busting the assholes.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2014, 07:34 AM
RE: need advice for camera to get quick photos.
(16-12-2014 07:29 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  so here is the situation, everyday I walk my daughter to/from school. We cross. 4 lane at a crosswalk. This is a planned community so the idea from the get go, was the whole place is designed around walking. There is a mixed use area with shops and resturants, loads of small parks, trails,etc. I say that in hopes of explaning that I am not trying to change the culture of an area, just fix a bad spot.

So the regular speed limit is only 35-40 mph, during school hours giant yellow lights flash at a sign with 25 mph, there is another sign telling drivers where to yield to pedestrians, there is a bright white crosswalk painted on the road.

everyday we are dodging cars, they fly by, today I had a giant red umbrella and four cars flew right by, its fucking insane.

So the only way I can show the police is if I can catch the drivers that are trying to kill us. My camera on my iphone doesnt focus in on the license plate quickly enough and we are normally walking , rather than still on a tripod.

For those who might say just drive your daughter the half mile to school - no- I shouldnt have to give up because others cannot follow clearly marked laws. I am going to the police, school board, DOT, etc because many, many kids use this intersection daily, I just need help busting the assholes.

I suggest a call and letter/e-mail to the police and a letter to the local newspaper and contact the local TV news. Make a stink.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2014, 07:46 AM
(16-12-2014 07:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 07:29 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  so here is the situation, everyday I walk my daughter to/from school. We cross. 4 lane at a crosswalk. This is a planned community so the idea from the get go, was the whole place is designed around walking. There is a mixed use area with shops and resturants, loads of small parks, trails,etc. I say that in hopes of explaning that I am not trying to change the culture of an area, just fix a bad spot.

I suggest a call and letter/e-mail to the police and a letter to the local newspaper and contact the local TV news. Make a stink.

thats on my to do list, considering carrying a handful of gravel in my pocket to pelt some of the cars with. Evil_monster Or maybe a paintball gun to mark them. Although really I would like to go full 'Murican on them and blow some up, sadly I don't have the funds for that kind of war.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
16-12-2014, 08:17 AM
(16-12-2014 07:46 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 07:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  I suggest a call and letter/e-mail to the police and a letter to the local newspaper and contact the local TV news. Make a stink.

thats on my to do list, considering carrying a handful of gravel in my pocket to pelt some of the cars with. Evil_monster Or maybe a paintball gun to mark them. Although really I would like to go full 'Murican on them and blow some up, sadly I don't have the funds for that kind of war.

I suggest going that route because the photographic solutions are expensive and technically challenging.

I live on a country road beside a farm that has animals and customers. There are also lots of wild critters, as well. I often see cars and trucks going way too fast and I yell at them to slow the fuck down. I have gotten various reactions.
When someone reacts negatively, they get something thrown at the car. Drinking Beverage

If they want to stop and make an issue of it, they are welcome to.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2014, 08:46 AM
The most cost effective solution is to lobby your local government to put up one of those traffic cams that automatically takes photos of speeding cars and mails out tickets to the owners. We have them on the streets in front of every school in my county. And the good news is that they catch so many people that they pay for themselves in an average of six months.
[+] 3 users Like Pointwithinacircle's post
16-12-2014, 09:23 AM
I would use a camera with a manual mode. Set a high ISO, mid-high f stop to get good focal depth, and then focus at a point about 30-50 feet away. Make sure the shutter is near as fast as possible, if pics are too dark still, raise ISO and open the aperture slightly (but still stopped down enough to allow decent focal range). Shoot while panning to match speed of car.

OR

Take pics with phone, remember plate with brain. Report and match plate to the make, model, color of car in pic.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
16-12-2014, 09:29 AM
I like the gravel/paintball idea. We no longer use pennies here... So now they become tailgate deterrents. Anyone gets too close, they get a handful of pennies from my sunroof.
16-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Yeah is a picture definitely necessary for the police or will a lincense plate number do? A slightly blurred picture plus a note of the number?

You could always do a stake out and just take pictures of every bad driver for an hour. You'll get one good picture, for sure.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
16-12-2014, 10:23 AM
What about using a camcorder? There would be more chances to get at least one clear frame of the license plate and it would give some idea of the speed too. I don't think the police can simply take a photo from you and accept your claim that they were going too fast as a reason to go after specific people. A video might carry more weight, especially if they are passing a slower car to show relative speed.

But the police need to be monitoring that intersection more closely in order to really do something about it. Fining a few people won't really help. So I agree with Chas. Go to the newspaper and TV station to raise a stink so the police will feel more pressure to act on your complaint.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
16-12-2014, 10:39 AM
(16-12-2014 09:23 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Take pics with phone, remember plate with brain. Report and match plate to the make, model, color of car in pic.

That sounds simple and effective.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man