need help in understanding what this means

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 02:10 PM
need help in understanding what this means
Incredible thought from C.S. Lewis- "The most dangerous thing you can do is to take any one impulse of your own nature and set it up as the thing you ought to follow at all costs. There is not one of them which will not make us into devils if we set it up as an absolute guide. You might think love of humanity in general was safe, but it is not. If you leave out justice you will find yourself breaking agreements and faking evidence in trials "for the sake of humanity," and become in the end a cruel and treacherous man." C.S. Lewis- Mere Christianity.

This was posted by a friend and is for or agiasnt Christianity? The reason I ask is being it seems as though its against but the person that posted it is very religious.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2016, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2016 03:07 PM by SitaSky.)
RE: need help in understanding what this means
The quote from CS Lewis is on the side of Christianity, he was trying to make an argument for why we have moral instincts and giving the credit to God and how he made us and somehow encoded our psyche with "laws" so we would know when something was good or bad.

A lot of this discussion is complex and you can end up in a long debate with a theist on morality but fact is humans are animals and actually pack animals and like other packs we rely on others for our survival so we are evolved to care about each other and to fight each other if necessary, to protect ourselves and our families for example.

We don't need a God to explain why we seek fairness, display empathy or require social contracts and laws. It's an evolved trait, a natural gift that we still struggle with but considering what we've been able to accomplish as a species we've done well we just have more ground to cover.

If a Christian wants to make a point about not using any absolute goal to form a society on you should remind them of the Spanish Inquisition, or any time a religious society blindly believed love for God was all that mattered and gleefully killed and tortured heretics and non-believers, including people who did believe but didn't believe in quite the right way. It's not atheists who struggle to adhere to an absolute moral code, it's the theists who do it and could destroy our world because of it. We're the ones who accept moral relativism and the need for a balanced approach to crime and punishment, unlike theists who can't even decide if it's ok to work on a particular day of the week.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 11 users Like SitaSky's post
22-05-2016, 03:16 PM
(22-05-2016 03:03 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  The quote from CS Lewis is on the side of Christianity, he was trying to make an argument for why we have moral instincts and giving the credit to God and how he made us and somehow encoded our psyche with "laws" so we would know when something was good or bad.

A lot of this discussion is complex and you can end up in a long debate with a theist on morality but fact is humans are animals and actually pack animals and like other packs we rely on others for our survival so we are evolved to care about each other and to fight each other if necessary, to protect ourselves and our families for example.

We don't need a God to explain why we seek fairness, display empathy or require social contracts and laws. It's an evolved trait, a natural gift that we still struggle with but considering what we've been able to accomplish as a species we've done well we just have more ground to cover.

If a Christian wants to make a point about not using any absolute goal to form a society on you should remind them of the Spanish Inquisition, or any time a religious society blindly believed love for God was all that mattered and gleefully killed and tortured heretics and non-believers, including people who did believe but didn't believe in quite the right way. It's not atheists who struggle to adhere to an absolute moral code, it's the theists who do it and could destroy our world because of it. We're the ones who accept moral relativism and the need for a balanced approach to crime and punishment, unlike theists who can't even decide if it's ok to work on a particular day of the week.

Thank you very much I was a little confused, this helps a lot.
23-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Reading it for the first time, it appears to be against fundamental christianity and against any one thing that you take to extremes.

To me it's basically advocating moderation

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
23-05-2016, 04:23 AM
(22-05-2016 03:03 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  The quote from CS Lewis is on the side of Christianity, he was trying to make an argument for why we have moral instincts and giving the credit to God and how he made us and somehow encoded our psyche with "laws" so we would know when something was good or bad.

Great reply.

I thought it was worthy of a 'like" even if the OP didn't.

Dodgy

23-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Unsurprisingly, the arguments used by the faithful are rarely applied to the faith itself. If it were we might all be dealing with something a little more sensible. Lovely little blind-spot and double standard.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
23-05-2016, 12:24 PM
It's argument against fanaticism and apt one at that thanks to mentioning love for humanity. Greatest crimes were commited in name of mankind prosperity and with best intensions in mind.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2016, 03:19 PM
(23-05-2016 04:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Great reply.

Dodgy
I dont have a computer, I use my phone for everything. I can't like any posts, I want to but my phone won't let me. And I told her thank you it helped me very much.
[+] 2 users Like purpledaisies's post
23-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Here's the reply I got after I paraphrased sistasky. And thank you for that it made me understand what the quote meant and that it needed context to understand.

" I'm always interested to hear your thoughts Linda. However, your statement is not a fact. It's a theory of Darwins."

So my question is either he doesn't understand darwin or he doesn't know what a theory is.
23-05-2016, 03:22 PM
(23-05-2016 04:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Great reply.

Dodgy

I liked it for her, Mr Grumpy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.