need help in understanding what this means

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 03:24 PM
RE: need help in understanding what this means
(23-05-2016 03:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 04:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Great reply.

I thought it was worthy of a 'like" even if the OP didn't.

Dodgy

I liked it for her, Mr Grumpy.

Thank you morondog. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Isn't that just like Christianity though?

They talk a big game but their behavior is closer to nearly the exact opposite of their preaching.
23-05-2016, 08:21 PM
(23-05-2016 03:22 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Here's the reply I got after I paraphrased sistasky. And thank you for that it made me understand what the quote meant and that it needed context to understand.

" I'm always interested to hear your thoughts Linda. However, your statement is not a fact. It's a theory of Darwins."

So my question is either he doesn't understand darwin or he doesn't know what a theory is.

It always makes me laugh when any talk of evolution ends up being accredited to Darwin, he didn't even understand evolution as well as we do now and he observed physical evolution, behavioral evolutionary theory came later.

Not only does evolution explain why life exists, it also explains why emotions exist, why it's necessary. Religion can't explain love or joy or hate, it just tells you what is good and what is bad and to love God and your neighbors unless they love some other God, then kill them. If you want to do something bad, it's the Devil, if its good it's God even if it means killing your neighbor who worships Zeus, that's a good thing according to their absolute objectively moral God code after all. This is not moral thinking, it's selfish, immoral and unnatural. It's in our nature to feel and to fight anyone who disagrees with us. This is not a theory, it's a fact of life.

Honestly it's so obvious I don't understand why anyone still wants to argue about it. If it was true that only God fearing theists have morals then atheists would be going around raping, murdering and killing ourselves because at this point why should we care about our own lives? We care because it's in our biology to care, because we are born with morals, instincts and behavioral traits we can't stop because it's ingrained into our DNA, it's really just that simple.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
23-05-2016, 08:26 PM
(23-05-2016 08:21 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 03:22 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Here's the reply I got after I paraphrased sistasky. And thank you for that it made me understand what the quote meant and that it needed context to understand.

" I'm always interested to hear your thoughts Linda. However, your statement is not a fact. It's a theory of Darwins."

So my question is either he doesn't understand darwin or he doesn't know what a theory is.

It always makes me laugh when any talk of evolution ends up being accredited to Darwin, he didn't even understand evolution as well as we do now and he observed physical evolution, behavioral evolutionary theory came later.

Not only does evolution explain why life exists, it also explains why emotions exist, why it's necessary. Religion can't explain love or joy or hate, it just tells you what is good and what is bad and to love God and your neighbors unless they love some other God, then kill them. If you want to do something bad, it's the Devil, if its good it's God even if it means killing your neighbor who worships Zeus, that's a good thing according to their absolute objectively moral God code after all. This is not moral thinking, it's selfish, immoral and unnatural. It's in our nature to feel and to fight anyone who disagrees with us. This is not a theory, it's a fact of life.

Honestly it's so obvious I don't understand why anyone still wants to argue about it. If it was true that only God fearing theists have morals then atheists would be going around raping, murdering and killing ourselves because at this point why should we care about our own lives? We care because it's in our biology to care, because we are born with morals, instincts and behavioral traits we can't stop because it's ingrained into our DNA, it's really just that simple.

Yes thank you so much.
23-05-2016, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 09:16 PM by Chas.)

Both. Drinking Beverage

The Theory of Evolution is based on Darwin's insight and evidence but is far more than that. Darwin knew nothing of DNA, genes, etc.

Darwin's insight is that change and selection lead to changes in species; it is an inescapable truth - not a theory.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2016, 09:35 PM
(23-05-2016 09:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Both. Drinking Beverage

The Theory of Evolution is based on Darwin's insight and evidence but is far more than that. Darwin knew nothing of DNA, genes, etc.

Darwin's insight is that change and selection lead to changes in species; it is an inescapable truth - not a theory.
Thank you. I appreciate all replies. I've learned a lot today. I had 2 conversations going on today and I've learned a lot from both. Some things I knew some I didn't and I'm glad I learned these things today. I understand a few things such better.
23-05-2016, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 10:40 PM by Reltzik.)

Hey now!

There's no call for baseless assumptions, and assuming that either he doesn't understand Darwin or he doesn't know what a theory is is CLEARLY baseless.

It could easily be both. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post