need pro choice signs ideas!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-10-2010, 08:19 PM

RE: need pro choice signs ideas!!!!
(23-10-2010 07:17 PM)catdance62 Wrote:  Well, this is more-or-less pro-choice (but could be perceived as pro-abortion): How about just a big picture of an un-bent coat hanger and a bunch of blood splattered all over the sign? Or is that too "in-your-face"??
I'd add text to that: "Illegal abortion cost two lives!"

And it's no more in your face than the extremist pro-life zealots who take pieces of chicken skin and throw it on women who are trying to enter a women's health clinic (one that performs all gynecological services, not just abortion), while screaming. "Feel what it's like to have your baby in pieces!" Presuming every woman trying to make their way into the clinic are automatically there to abort.
This happened some years ago at a clinic in Florida.
Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2010, 11:22 PM
You know I seriously thought I was rare among atheists in being pro life but also stern that under no circumstances should we enforce our feelings onto others in a free country.

Personally I think the less women who feel the need to make this choice in general the better. If we work toward ending poverty and improving education and medicine then it will all work out much better in the end and we will still be able to us abortions for extreme cases where it is justified.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2010, 09:10 AM

(23-10-2010 08:12 AM)gamutman Wrote:  We're most of us pro-life. We're just not also anti-choice.
Hey, that could be a sign!

I guess I'm anti-choice then with a reasonable number of exceptions.
(26-10-2010 11:22 PM)Godless Wrote:  You know I seriously thought I was rare among atheists in being pro life but also stern that under no circumstances should we enforce our feelings onto others in a free country.

Personally I think the less women who feel the need to make this choice in general the better. If we work toward ending poverty and improving education and medicine then it will all work out much better in the end and we will still be able to us abortions for extreme cases where it is justified.

It's not as rare as you might think. In my experience pro-life (limited choice) atheists tend to be quite reasonable about the exceptions for necessary abortions and believe strongly in sex education and contraceptive use.

This is a much more reasonable and cohesive pro-life stance than the religious majority who wish to ban almost all abortion while also prohibiting sex education and limiting the availability of contraception.
27-10-2010, 09:21 AM

(26-10-2010 11:22 PM)Godless Wrote:  You know I seriously thought I was rare among atheists in being pro life but also stern that under no circumstances should we enforce our feelings onto others in a free country.

I wonder how Natasha's event turned out?

The poor, and uneducated are not the majority population of women who seek out abortion. In fact, the poor who become pregnant are more likely to deliver to term because of the public assistance that is afforded their condition.

I also think if one can say there are cases where abortion is justified, then they should perhaps understand that the individual woman has every right to feel justified in choosing her reproductive future. Quality of life should always trump bearing to life another zygote, simply because more is seen as better. Quantity trumps quality.
In the meantime, I think the movement that advocates more life, or forced pregnancy under law, would serve much more effectively in delivering a credible message if their standard embraced quality of life and their activism invested in adopting the lives already born, who just because they're here doesn't really mean anything when they're homeless, malnourished, abused, and/or shuttled from one foster care to another, so that in the end when they are of majority, if they live that long, they're emotionally scarred, for lack of a quality of life that would have otherwise provided just the opposite of their real life experience.
All simply because someone thought it was a great thing that regardless of their having a decent home to go to, they were at least born to be one more statistic, to serve a breeders cause with no thought whatever to what causes children to suffer being born with no place to go.