need some advice on how to answer a christian argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 03:25 AM
need some advice on how to answer a christian argument
Hi
I enjoy debating christians, and mostly manage ok..but there is one argument I just dont know how to answer. it goes something like this:
God can do what ever he likes (in relation to the geneocide in the OT mainly) because we are his creation. He made us, its up to him if we live or die, So what if god decides to send someone to kill you, its up to him.

I never know quite how to answer this. Any one ever come across this and how do you usually respond?

Thanks, Blythe

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 03:40 AM
RE: need some advice on how to answer a christian argument
(02-07-2013 03:25 AM)Blythe Wrote:  Hi
I enjoy debating christians, and mostly manage ok..but there is one argument I just dont know how to answer. it goes something like this:
God can do what ever he likes (in relation to the geneocide in the OT mainly) because we are his creation. He made us, its up to him if we live or die, So what if god decides to send someone to kill you, its up to him.

I never know quite how to answer this. Any one ever come across this and how do you usually respond?

Thanks, Blythe

Many, but not all, Christians tend to declare that Yahweh is all-benevolent (all loving).

IF the people you are arguing against claim such a thing, and then use the kind of statement that you made, that is a good opening I should think to question god being a loving deity, the thing you said makes god, when critically examined, obviously and deliberately malevolent, if not downright absolute evil. It makes a living, breathing, thinking creature and then seeks to torment it for no reason other than possibly tossing off to the resultant screams of agony and fear, assuming god made itself have a gender.

Not to mention; A man and wife have babies, thus they created the babies, by the logic you provided as an example, as they created the babies, they can rightfully slaughter or torture the babies, because, they were made by the man and woman in question. is this behaviour not evil?

Wether it tis your example or my counter-question you cannot escape that both acts are undoubtedly the work of evil most foul. I would bring up the evil.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
02-07-2013, 03:49 AM
So by this line of thinking we're just God's little robots to do what he likes with ? It's how they justify that God is allowed to be a genocidal maniac...

The consequence is that God is then definitely not good according to the usual human definition of the word. In that case, is it really moral to follow an evil God ?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-07-2013, 03:53 AM
God doesn't exist and didn't make us.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
02-07-2013, 03:55 AM
(02-07-2013 03:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  So by this line of thinking we're just God's little robots to do what he likes with ? It's how they justify that God is allowed to be a genocidal maniac...

The consequence is that God is then definitely not good according to the usual human definition of the word. In that case, is it really moral to follow an evil God ?

The answer to that is:
What ever god does is good because god does it and we dont understand it.

Believe me, I have been around and around on this one .

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
02-07-2013, 03:56 AM
(02-07-2013 03:53 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  God doesn't exist and didn't make us.

Well yes ... Smile

02-07-2013, 03:59 AM
(02-07-2013 03:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 03:25 AM)Blythe Wrote:  Hi

Thanks, Blythe

Many, but not all, Christians tend to declare that Yahweh is all-benevolent (all loving).

IF the people you are arguing against claim such a thing, and then use the kind of statement that you made, that is a good opening I should think to question god being a loving deity, the thing you said makes god, when critically examined, obviously and deliberately malevolent, if not downright absolute evil. It makes a living, breathing, thinking creature and then seeks to torment it for no reason other than possibly tossing off to the resultant screams of agony and fear, assuming god made itself have a gender.

Not to mention; A man and wife have babies, thus they created the babies, by the logic you provided as an example, as they created the babies, they can rightfully slaughter or torture the babies, because, they were made by the man and woman in question. is this behaviour not evil?

Wether it tis your example or my counter-question you cannot escape that both acts are undoubtedly the work of evil most foul. I would bring up the evil.

Usual answer to your first point is that we dont understand good ... but your point about making a living breathing feeling creature is good, I can use that..

The second point, well that doesnt work, as the parents had nothing to do with the creation of the child , it was god... yea I know ... Weeping

02-07-2013, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 04:20 AM by Free Thought.)
(02-07-2013 03:59 AM)Blythe Wrote:  Usual answer to your first point is that we dont understand good ... but your point about making a living breathing feeling creature is good, I can use that..

The second point, well that doesnt work, as the parents had nothing to do with the creation of the child , it was god... yea I know ... Weeping

I think I have a refutation ready, but I need some clarification first.

Do you mean: "we dont understand good" or "we dont understand god"?

It's vital woman! Thumbsup

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
02-07-2013, 04:32 AM
Just slap them and tell them they're retarded.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-07-2013, 04:46 AM
(02-07-2013 04:08 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 03:59 AM)Blythe Wrote:  Usual answer to your first point is that we dont understand good ... but your point about making a living breathing feeling creature is good, I can use that..

I think I have a refutation ready, but I need some clarification first.

Do you mean: "we dont understand good" or "we dont understand god"?

It's vital woman! Thumbsup

No i did mean good... Good s defined as what ever god says or does