need some advice on how to answer a christian argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 04:47 AM
RE: need some advice on how to answer a christian argument
(02-07-2013 04:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just slap them and tell them they're retarded.

Lol then i get banned... I try to avoid that

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 04:54 AM
(02-07-2013 04:46 AM)Blythe Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 04:08 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I think I have a refutation ready, but I need some clarification first.

Do you mean: "we dont understand good" or "we dont understand god"?

It's vital woman! Thumbsup

No i did mean good... Good s defined as what ever god says or does

So to get this straight: Good would be defined pretty much as god by proxy of the "whatever god says or does"; essentially we can't understand the ways of god. Would that be correct? I don't like to get too many things wrong in one day.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
02-07-2013, 04:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 05:03 AM by Blythe.)
(02-07-2013 04:54 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 04:46 AM)Blythe Wrote:  No i did mean good... Good s defined as what ever god says or does

So to get this straight: Good would be defined pretty much as god by proxy of the "whatever god says or does"; essentially we can't understand the ways of god. Would that be correct? I don't like to get too many things wrong in one day.

Yes, thats the answer i have been given. If god does it, it is therefore good.

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
02-07-2013, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 05:06 AM by bustead.)
Mankind have the skill to duplicate animals. If you create a cat/dog/rabbit/any pets and drown it alive, i guess you would be twisted? If you create a set of "rules" for a group of AI and destroy them if they don't follow your rules and you don't follow them yourself, are you bias to your creation? If youare bias, are you good? Remember good is juged by humans since we define what is good for ourselves. If what is good is created by god, then you can jump into hell right now because you did not obey the rules in the book filled with lies, which are quite impossible to obey in morden world.
[+] 1 user Likes bustead's post
02-07-2013, 05:09 AM
You can't argue with the irrational, because they won't listen to reason.
They change the definitions of words to make them meaningless (the act of genocide is GOOD)
They can't accept a biological process, like conceiving a child and giving birth without adding a god into the process.

You can't argue with these people.

I would add a ton more to this post but I have a cold.
Lastly - Might does not make right
They are essentially saying god has no morals

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-07-2013, 05:38 AM
(02-07-2013 03:25 AM)Blythe Wrote:  Hi
I enjoy debating christians, and mostly manage ok..but there is one argument I just dont know how to answer. it goes something like this:
God can do what ever he likes (in relation to the geneocide in the OT mainly) because we are his creation. He made us, its up to him if we live or die, So what if god decides to send someone to kill you, its up to him.

I never know quite how to answer this. Any one ever come across this and how do you usually respond?

Thanks, Blythe

For one thing, a person cannot do whatever he or she tells others not to do, because that would make the person a hypocrite. And we know how Jesus feels about hypocrites.

Second, it's helpful to put your opponent in your shoes. Was it alright for the 9/11 terrorists to kill whomever they liked because Allah gave the victims their lives in the first place? Of course it assumes that Allah did in fact give people life, but that's the point -- if your Christian opponent makes that same point, they're rationalizing in exactly the same way that the terrorists did. That kind of thinking is evil for the same reason it's evil for other religions to think it, whether or not their god actually gave anyone life.

Finally, it's a standard that none of us agree with in any other context. I personally have a daughter that I helped to create, but I don't have the freedom to kill her -- not even if her mother is okay with it. It's still wrong to hurt someone, even if you gave her the opportunity to get hurt by giving her life. The only reason anyone would ever argue otherwise is to self-justify their impulse (or in this case, someone else's impulse) to do something evil.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
02-07-2013, 05:50 AM
(02-07-2013 04:59 AM)Blythe Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 04:54 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So to get this straight: Good would be defined pretty much as god by proxy of the "whatever god says or does"; essentially we can't understand the ways of god. Would that be correct? I don't like to get too many things wrong in one day.

Yes, thats the answer i have been given. If god does it, it is therefore good.

Alright let's get this party started.

(02-07-2013 03:59 AM)Blythe Wrote:  Usual answer to your first point is that we dont understand good ... but your point about making a living breathing feeling creature is good, I can use that..

The sheer fact is, the "We (You) cannot understand the ways of god" argument/proclamation is nothing more than an simple, bold faced, unabashed, almost self-acknowledged copout. If humans are unable to understand the ways of god, or will always misconstrued them for something they are not (good acts seen as evil, for instance), surely god must know this. So why'd god bother to dictate his books, knowing that we would not understand his written of ways?

It is often said that god is the source of morality, yet it is also said that we cannot judge god with human morality, as we lack the ability to understand his higher ways, as previously mentioned. Yet did not god imbue upon us It's understanding of morality and concepts similar if it is indeed the source? Thus I argue that we are indeed morally and otherwise able to understand and judge the evil and good that god as wrought on it's own scale.
Either that, or god deliberately made a defective product and commanded it to be perfect, knowing that it is by It's hand that it is impossible. "Created sick, commanded to be sound" This makes god an evil being indeed, there is no possible way one could excuse such behaviour, calling it righteous and not be intellectually dishonest, depraved, or have a bad taste in their mouth afterwards.

Is it not amazing that we can not understand or comprehend the mysterious ways of god, yet person X will who claims we cannot understand will say they themselves have exactly the correct understanding of their god's book and the meaning behind the letters? I sir, smell bullshit.

(02-07-2013 03:59 AM)Blythe Wrote:  The second point, well that doesnt work, as the parents had nothing to do with the creation of the child , it was god... yea I know ... Weeping

This makes the example all the more telling. Mostly because the insistence that god be pushed into the scenario of evil for comparison where it would not have been included previously.

God appears even worse than before. Either god is a weak, ineffectual bystander, or a malevolent watcher, allowing and willing that the scenario should play out and doing nothing to prevent it. Instead of merely being compared against the evil acts of the parents and being concluded as evil by the comparison, god was just made directly by the scenario which previously had no Deity in the equation.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
02-07-2013, 05:50 AM
(02-07-2013 03:55 AM)Blythe Wrote:  What ever god does is good because god does it and we dont understand it.

Yabut, that means our word good is not the same as God's word good. And our word evil applies to God.

So he can fuck off.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
02-07-2013, 06:49 AM
(02-07-2013 04:47 AM)Blythe Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 04:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just slap them and tell them they're retarded.

Lol then i get banned... I try to avoid that

you-ay ay-say at-thay ike-lay itd-ay e-bay a-ay ad-bay ing-thay...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
02-07-2013, 07:37 AM
If God can commit genocide, why can't I?
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post