need some advice on how to answer a christian argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
RE: need some advice on how to answer a christian argument
(02-07-2013 06:32 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  Christians would only answer you with this, "God's thinkig is different from human thinking. No matter how hard we try to understand his ways, we cannot comprehend it because it's beyond our capabilities. Ergo, we must not question God because he is a being too high. We are low creatures."

If they answer us with this, it's difficult to argue with them because they're stucked with this program in their mind that we cannot really understand him and his ways because he is a supernatural being. We are mere humans. Sometimes I end up speechless after they bring up something like that. How would you respond to this answer?

An answer made of untrue assertions is no answer.

The mind of a serial killer is different than ours.
We can't begin to understand why he does what he does.
Therefore his actions are moral

Bullshit

When you can show what a god knows, only then will I give some credence to who understands whom better. So far, I win over imaginary beings.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
02-07-2013, 06:51 PM
(02-07-2013 06:47 PM)Rahn127
dateline='1372812478' Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 06:32 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  Christians would only answer you with this, "God's thinkig is different
from human thinking. No matter how hard we try to understand his ways,
we cannot comprehend it because it's beyond our capabilities. Ergo, we
must not question God because he is a being too high. We are low
creatures."

If they answer us with this, it's difficult to argue with them because
they're stucked with this program in their mind that we cannot really
understand him and his ways because he is a supernatural being. We are
mere humans. Sometimes I end up speechless after they bring up something
like that. How would you respond to this answer?

An answer made of untrue assertions is no answer.

The mind of a serial killer is different than ours.
We can't begin to understand why he does what he does.
Therefore his actions are moral

Bullshit

When you can show what a god knows, only then will I give some credence
to who understands whom better. So far, I win over imaginary beings.

if I had more hands, I'd give this answer more than 2 thumbs up. awesome! Big Grin
02-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the great insights people Smile
I must visit more often...

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Blythe's post
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
(02-07-2013 03:25 AM)Blythe Wrote:  Hi
I enjoy debating christians, and mostly manage ok..but there is one argument I just dont know how to answer. it goes something like this:
God can do what ever he likes (in relation to the geneocide in the OT mainly) because we are his creation. He made us, its up to him if we live or die, So what if god decides to send someone to kill you, its up to him.

I never know quite how to answer this. Any one ever come across this and how do you usually respond?

Thanks, Blythe

This is the classic Christian argument that god is the only way we can 'objectively' have a standard of what is good.

The simplest attack on this argument is to come up with an example that your opponent would have to agree is immoral. Then, ask the question if whether god's commandment is required to know it is immoral, and without that requirement god becomes victim of Occam's Razor. God in that situation becomes an unnecessary irrelevance to morality.

Quick example:

Say you are in good health and obtaining enough nutrition from your diet to be in very good health. You come across a baby in a carriage unattended who is eating some candy or other food you desire. Would it be moral to smother the baby, killing it so it doesn't scream while you steal the food for yourself? Does the listener you pose this question to not engage in this behavior because of god's command, or out of some internal sense of morality?

If gratuitous murder is self evidently wrong, then there is something intrinsic about the behavior that makes it wrong, and therefore god does not really have the choice of determining what is moral or not.

If your debate partner is dishonest and claims they would murder this baby in the carriage if god said to, then see how far they go with this. See if you can come up with an act that violates all 10 commandments--this demonstrates that the commandments themselves are meaningless if god can rescind them at any time. Example: say god commanded you to steal a cross from a church, fashion an idol of satan that you affix to this cross, use it to rape your parents while cursing god, kill them in the course of your rape, then forge a will in their name which allows you to take all their possessions, then remodel the house so you can imprison the neighbor's spouse for your own personal use. Ohh, and do this on a Sunday. If your debate partner can say with a straight face that they would do this if they thought god commanded them to, well, you've made as much of a point as you could make about this. See if they will still say this if you request to record them and post it on Youtube.
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
(02-07-2013 06:54 PM)Blythe Wrote:  Thanks for all the great insights people Smile

Any time you need help with this stuff. That's why the forum is here... kinda...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-07-2013, 01:29 AM
(02-07-2013 10:02 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 06:54 PM)Blythe Wrote:  Thanks for all the great insights people Smile

Any time you need help with this stuff. That's why the forum is here... kinda...

I thought it was for the purpose of sharing baby recipes ?
03-07-2013, 02:06 AM
(03-07-2013 01:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 10:02 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Any time you need help with this stuff. That's why the forum is here... kinda...

I thought it was for the purpose of sharing baby recipes ?

It can be both!

And so much more!

For an exclusive price and all-time offer of $0.00!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Chas, you have my permission to edit and correct any of my posts. Are you a moderator? Because if you are, just feel free and go for it. My only request would be to let me know about it, on the off chance your change is not actually an improvement. So far, I have no concern that such would be the case.

I'm only half kidding.
05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
(02-07-2013 03:25 AM)Blythe Wrote:  Hi
I enjoy debating christians, and mostly manage ok..but there is one argument I just dont know how to answer. it goes something like this:
God can do what ever he likes (in relation to the geneocide in the OT mainly) because we are his creation. He made us, its up to him if we live or die, So what if god decides to send someone to kill you, its up to him.

I never know quite how to answer this. Any one ever come across this and how do you usually respond?

Thanks, Blythe

Its just part and parcel to the never ending...hedge your bet..never paint youself in a corner..leave everthing open ended...lawyerlistic bible speak that my one uncle used to call the .."christian shuffle.

What i would ask her since..."god can do anything he likes to his creation"...is what about her SALVATION....hmmmmmm...is she telling you that if she is the worlds best christian that in the end big daddy may rip that rug out from under her, flip her the bird and then kick ther to the coals???

Then i would ask why the hell she listens to any of this man made clap trap.

But she'll probably do the special pleading two step like my brother....no no no god would never change salvation.......and around and around we go...(cue the benny hill theme music)
[+] 2 users Like tokutter's post
05-07-2013, 01:16 PM
If man can not know good from evil, then the story of Genesis where Adam and Eve eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is false… and the reason for all the suffering mankind has endured since man’s ejection from Eden is based on nothing but a lie.

Now…who in his right mind could worship a sadistic liar?
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post