need some info- keep getting woo sites when I google

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 06:11 PM
need some info- keep getting woo sites when I google
I am looking for info about chlorinated water, specifically too much chlorine. Everything I google comes up with woo. (mercola & others)

Let me start by saying I think municpal treated water is a good thing, I got no problem there, until well, there's a problem.

We have been in the new house a month, the house is only 5 years old, and the water smells bad...real chemically. Anyway, I am in contact with the county, they gave us instructions on how to flush the lines, credit on our water bill, will be running a test Wednesday. This morning I had a guy from Culligan come do a test. Everything looked good, except for the chlorine, he said it was at double of a swimming pool.

Since moving here, my skin has been itching, I have been sneezing after showers, the dog only drinks filtered water from the fridge, I have talked to neighbors, etc. There is a problem....not an imagined one, but I cant find 'good' info on what drinking over chlorinated water will do to me, the kids and husband.

anyone?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2015, 06:19 PM
RE: need some info- keep getting woo sites when I google
Call Erin Brokovich.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
17-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Woooow that seems like a pretty high amount. Did the guy who tested the water give any suggestion on how to address this with the city? Have you asked your neighbors if they're having issues?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
17-08-2015, 06:32 PM
(17-08-2015 06:11 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I am looking for info about chlorinated water, specifically too much chlorine. Everything I google comes up with woo. (mercola & others)

Let me start by saying I think municpal treated water is a good thing, I got no problem there, until well, there's a problem.

We have been in the new house a month, the house is only 5 years old, and the water smells bad...real chemically. Anyway, I am in contact with the county, they gave us instructions on how to flush the lines, credit on our water bill, will be running a test Wednesday. This morning I had a guy from Culligan come do a test. Everything looked good, except for the chlorine, he said it was at double of a swimming pool.

Since moving here, my skin has been itching, I have been sneezing after showers, the dog only drinks filtered water from the fridge, I have talked to neighbors, etc. There is a problem....not an imagined one, but I cant find 'good' info on what drinking over chlorinated water will do to me, the kids and husband.

anyone?

A faucet attached water filter can help quite a lot. If it truly is chlorinated at the level you say, then there is something wrong with the mixing at the water utility. I'd share with them the test results (actual measured levels, not the characterization) and/or push them on their own water tests to confirm.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
17-08-2015, 06:36 PM
I live in a pretty big neighborhood. Some have carbon filter systems, some have RO systems at the tap, some nothing.

Many agree the water smells 'chemically" ....the level of concern seems to vary.

There is one neighbor in particular who works for a company that makes the test kits sold to other companies. I have been talking to him quite a bit to try to figure out if it was the drains, the lines, the water, the hot water tank. He was the ine that suggested I call the county, and after explaining to the county, they said to flush & test (their test is Wednesday.

Last year we lived in a rental in this hood, I think it had a whole house carbon filter system, which took care of most if the smell, but not all of it.

I think the levels fluctuate often because the smells seem super strong one day then nothing a few days later.

17-08-2015, 06:42 PM
the culligan guy that tested today said he was using a regular test that you would use for a swimming pool.

it was color coded, with an ideal range, I think it was 3?, ours was at the very top of the scale, 11. He would have shared more if I wanted, but I didnt worry so much about the number, just the result. (over chlorinated)

I will be getting a better test from the neighbor, he says his company makes the only one EPA approved for chlorine, plus the county test on Wednesday.

I am concerned about health effects...other than itching.

17-08-2015, 06:45 PM
It is maddening getting real information about water. We had discussed bottled water before and I had mentioned my wife was allergic to the chloramine in the water, but googling it gave a bunch of woo like you are mentioning B&As. It is really hard to get anything tangible. I would start with public works... I'll also dig a little.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
17-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Does this help?

http://www.pure-earth.com/chlorine.html

We have spring water, and when I hit an area with chlorinated water I get sick as a dog. I almost lost a horse under the same conditions.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
17-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Have you seen the movie “The Family” with Robert DeNiro and Michelle Pfeiffer?
He knows how to handle water problems! BTW one of the most entertaining films ever in my opinion.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404311/?ref_=nv_sr_1

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
17-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Water is too clean. Now there's a first world problem if ever I saw one.

[Image: oscar.png]