need to self improve I do

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2014, 11:02 PM
need to self improve I do
basically I realized something about myself. I suck at making arguments. not only because I take them to personally. U also seem to come off as trollish and I am not trying to be. I mean out of the last three argument I was a in.

1. was about whether vitamin d was packaged in with sun light and ended in a two year old. yeah it is. no it aint kind of thing. and I lost.
2. was on this forum with hbl and despite winning I still think he's won something just by wasting our time.
3. was just now about whether geeks have to be considered out cast and born before the the year 2000, lets just say I left that person feeling personally attacked.
4. lastly I am just thoroughgoing this one in there but on a writing forum. receiving advice turned out into a knock down drag down fight. over wether or not it was more important to be god at story telling or grammar and spelling.

now I know I am better than this, any advice on how I can improve because if I entered a debate I'd lose on sure lack of suvailatey alone/ despite being right.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kunoxian drive's post
13-08-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: need to self improve I do
Are you Yoda?

Consider

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
13-08-2014, 11:15 PM
(13-08-2014 11:02 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  4. lastly I am just thoroughgoing this one in there but on a writing forum. receiving advice turned out into a knock down drag down fight. over wether or not it was more important to be god at story telling or grammar and spelling.

I tend to take a person more seriously when they take the time to check their spelling, and put together a coherent thought.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
13-08-2014, 11:18 PM
(13-08-2014 11:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(13-08-2014 11:02 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  4. lastly I am just thoroughgoing this one in there but on a writing forum. receiving advice turned out into a knock down drag down fight. over wether or not it was more important to be god at story telling or grammar and spelling.

I tend to take a person more seriously when they take the time to check their spelling, and put together a coherent thought.

yes my spelling and grammar can improve but all my thoughts seem coherent to me.. lol... you can see the problem there right. thank you though.

good night guys.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
13-08-2014, 11:28 PM
(13-08-2014 11:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Are you Yoda?

Consider

In English Yoda's grammar sucks, but if he spoke Japanese he would have great grammar.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
14-08-2014, 12:09 AM
(13-08-2014 11:18 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(13-08-2014 11:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  I tend to take a person more seriously when they take the time to check their spelling, and put together a coherent thought.

yes my spelling and grammar can improve but all my thoughts seem coherent to me.. lol... you can see the problem there right. thank you though.

good night guys.

It's like he said. While it's good to be coherent, it is much harder to take a person seriously when they can't spell well or have good grammar. It's like reading a story. Obvious spelling and grammar mistakes can throw off the reader just as easily as an incoherent sentence and thus can take their focus out of the story. Seeing errors like that in a story shows the reader that you didn't care enough about the story to polish it's mistakes. Just like not editing a story shows a lack of care for the final product, not proofing your argument for errors makes it look like you don't care other than to blurt out your opinion. Plus, if the other person has better grammar and spelling than you, they tend to look smarter which is not what you want if you want to show that you're as smart (or smarter) than them.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
14-08-2014, 02:26 AM
(14-08-2014 12:09 AM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  ...
polish it's mistakes.

Couldn't resist a little moment of irony.

Sorry. Blush

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-08-2014, 02:58 AM
There is a potential hazard here, in that english is not everyone's first language. Poor language provides circumstantial evidence of sloppy thinking skills, however it does not provide necessary and sufficient evidence of same, so if I find myself jumping to such a conclusion I'm making a critical thinking error.

This does not undermine the valid point that the writer could work on his english to improve his credibility.

As a related phenomena, there is a poster on here who seems to be a member of some odd buddhist sect. He has been (reasonably) pilloried over his unsubstantiated religious beliefs, nevertheless he has actually made some good, solid points, based not on sect buddhism but on the ideas of mainstream european philosophy (Hegel).

He has been pilloried for these statements too, by persons who presumably haven't read Hegel and seem to have made the critical thinking error of assuming that since he has some irrational unsubstantiated beliefs, therefore everything he says must be irrational and unsubstantiated.

Regrettably, these people's position towards him is itself - irrational and unsubstantiated ;P

Phil
[+] 2 users Like phil.a's post
14-08-2014, 04:47 AM
(14-08-2014 02:58 AM)phil.a Wrote:  There is a potential hazard here, in that english is not everyone's first language. Poor language provides circumstantial evidence of sloppy thinking skills, however it does not provide necessary and sufficient evidence of same, so if I find myself jumping to such a conclusion I'm making a critical thinking error.

Agreed.

But nearly 2 years ago...

Asked (post #4)
and
Answered (post #13)

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-08-2014, 06:25 AM
(13-08-2014 11:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  

I'm no English major, but agreed. The word "ain't" makes my skin crawl. When used in jest, it's not as bad, but still irritates me.

If I have to seriously work to decipher what's being said, I completely ignore the person and point at that juncture.

There are loads of courses online for free. I know Coursra offers free courses, most being 6 weeks, in a variety of various subjects. I'm sure grammar and English rolls around once in a while.

Basically, the information is out there if you seek it.

In regards to taking things personally, I'm working on that as well. I've gotten better, but it still is rough sometimes. For me, it's mind over matter. The thing that helps me the most is the phrase I've adopted at my office, "It's not personal, it's just business." 9 times out of 10, that's all it is.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
[+] 2 users Like MrsFarrow's post