new atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 09:02 PM
new atheist
Hi, I used to be a Christian ( first Lutheran, the Anglican) and I went to church every Sunday, had faith in God and believed prayers worked.
Only, they don't. I kept a spreadsheet of my prayers for many years and noticed that the outcome of prayers is pretty much the same as the statistical outcome of the event I prayed for.
I also noticed that no matter how good a Christian I tried to be, there were no rewards. God did not do me any favors , no matter how many I did for him.
I also had many questions about god and the Bible that I never got answers for I could accept, no matter how many Bible studies I attended. The best I ever got was " who are you to question God?" , or " it's a mystery us humans can't understand", or " it's part of God's plan and you will understand it later, after you are dead" and so on. None of those excuses helped me any.
I wanted to know why animals suffer, even if they don't sin. I wanted to know why a loving god would create something that must suffer. Animals suffer pain just like humans, some have feelings ( like dogs) . Yet, some seem to exist only to be eaten by others. What sort of god does that?

I wanted to know why the Christian God, would create a world in which roughly about 60% of people that die go to hell. And that is if you assume all Christian denominations are going to heaven....which, they don't even believe.

I wanted to know why a loving God would make people that do believe in him and worship him, and do what they are supposed to suffer .

I wanted to know what sort of God would create 2 humans, one of which is sort of inferior ( women, of which I am one) . We suffer first from pms/periods for a week at a time for most of our adult lives, then have menopause, and in between 9 mostly horrid months of pregnancy and then childbirth. Why would a loving god do that to us? Why are we weaker and throughout most of history men treated us as property not much better than their livestock? WTF? So for all eternity all women pay for the original one making one stupid choice, that wasn't even clear?

There are of course a lot more of those questions, but I never got any acceptable answers.

Last straw: I got panic attacks in church. Why would God not stop those if he wanted me to be in church?

So , I have finally given up on my believe in magic ( the supernatural, gods, religion, whatever)
It's been a struggle and I have to admit it is hard to know there is no superpower out there that will fix things for you, if you just pray hard enough....

I hope I can get some support on this site to help me deal with my new lack of faith
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like annie123's post
16-01-2017, 09:20 PM
RE: new atheist
Lots of support here. Lots of recovering Christoholics here, as well. Laugh out load

I find it fascinating that you employed a rudimentary version of the Scientific Method, with regard to seeing if the claims your faith made about intercession were indistinguishable from randomness. You might be interested to learn that numerous, quite rigorous, studies on that topic have been done...with similar results.

You had the mind of a proper skeptic, all along. Smile

Welcome to TTA and the world of unfettered reality.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-01-2017, 09:21 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Welcome! There are plenty of people here with similar backgrounds who can help guide you. I think you are taking a giant step to give yourself a better life. If you have any questions or need any advice, jump right in and start posting. There is also a good amount of resources under the Atheism/Theism section which you can read over and study which may help a lot.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
16-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Hello! Big Grin
16-01-2017, 09:37 PM
welcome! There are indeed many who have been down the path you are on here.
16-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Welcome!
16-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Hello!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
17-01-2017, 01:50 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
17-01-2017, 01:57 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.