new atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 02:01 AM
RE: new atheist
Welcome

and let me tell you, that you seem to be full of...rational thought and are asking questions, a lot of em Big Grin Thumbsup

Quote:I kept a spreadsheet of my prayers
Bowing
It would be so easy for everybody else to do that, but for some reason they dont. Laugh out load

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
17-01-2017, 03:19 AM
Hi, welcome
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
17-01-2017, 06:01 AM
1 Corinthians 13:11

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Ironic that it applies to the whole of the magic show, huh???

Welcome aboard...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-01-2017, 06:02 AM
(16-01-2017 09:02 PM)annie123 Wrote:  I kept a spreadsheet of my prayers for many years and noticed that the outcome of prayers is pretty much the same as the statistical outcome of the event I prayed for.

That's one of the funniest and most amazing things I've ever heard about a deconversion!

Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
17-01-2017, 06:02 AM
Welcome Annie Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-01-2017, 07:28 AM
(16-01-2017 09:02 PM)annie123 Wrote:  I hope I can get some support on this site to help me deal with my new lack of faith

Welcome, Annie. We're glad you're here.

Others have already said this, but it bears repeating: your experience is extremely common. Most of the atheists I know come from religious backgrounds, and evolving from those backgrounds into atheism can be a difficult transition.

You're among friends here.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
17-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Welcome to TTA

Oh no. He's here - God
17-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Hi Annie, welcome to the forum.

You broke the Zeroth commandent! Thou Shalt Not Question! Congratulation!

(16-01-2017 09:02 PM)annie123 Wrote:  I hope I can get some support on this site to help me deal with my new lack of faith

One of the great things about atheism is how little effort it requires. You can spend all Sunday praying or you can spend it in your undies binge-watching Netflix. The results are identical.

It can take some getting used to though so we have a section dedicated to Support of all types just below this one.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
18-01-2017, 07:00 AM
Welcome, Annie, from a fellow traveler. My deconversion started in the late 1990s and I self identified as atheist a few years later. I have to admit I didn't go so far as to keep a spreadsheet and do statistical analysis but my experience with answered prayer was certainly a subjective match to yours. And when it comes to myself and those I love (three of whom died on my watch while I was a believer, including my wife at the time) that is as powerful as any spreadsheet to demonstrate in a very concrete way why religious faith is an utterly failed epistemology. Or at least the evangelical brand thereof. Later, as I rebuilt my worldview around empirically justifiable beliefs, I came to see the less whacky forms of theism were fundamentally lacking in the same way.

You will definitely feel at loose ends at times but it gets WAY better. I'll second Paleophyte's suggestion that you take advantage of the support forum. I would also browse the debates with believers, it will build your critical thinking skills.

Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
18-01-2017, 02:06 PM
[Image: hello-1.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin