new atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 11:07 AM
RE: new atheist
Smile thanks everyone for the nice welcome and the comments!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes annie123's post
22-01-2017, 11:12 AM
(18-01-2017 07:00 AM)mordant Wrote:  Welcome, Annie, from a fellow traveler. My deconversion started in the late 1990s and I self identified as atheist a few years later. I have to admit I didn't go so far as to keep a spreadsheet and do statistical analysis but my experience with answered prayer was certainly a subjective match to yours. And when it comes to myself and those I love (three of whom died on my watch while I was a believer, including my wife at the time) that is as powerful as any spreadsheet to demonstrate in a very concrete way why religious faith is an utterly failed epistemology. Or at least the evangelical brand thereof. Later, as I rebuilt my worldview around empirically justifiable beliefs, I came to see the less whacky forms of theism were fundamentally lacking in the same way.

You will definitely feel at loose ends at times but it gets WAY better. I'll second Paleophyte's suggestion that you take advantage of the support forum. I would also browse the debates with believers, it will build your critical thinking skills.

Welcome!

I'm sorry you lost your wife and others while you were a Christian, and that is exactly the sort of thing I have seen also. There is no reward of any sort for being a Christian, your loved ones are just as likely to do young as anyone else's.

My kids ( young adults) just went on a snowboarding trip. They had to fly ( shootout in a nearby airport at the time) , they had to drive in ice and snow, they had to evacuate the ski area because of avalanges and I did not say a single prayer. I knew it would be pointless. They would either get back ok , or not. They made it back ok.
22-01-2017, 11:22 AM
(21-01-2017 10:31 PM)port_of_call Wrote:  I've been struggling with belief for a long time, but I still love the music, aesthetics, and the community at my Christian church.

As for praying, I just went through this when my kids were on the trip. Instead of praying I just did nothing. I texted them frequently with weather updates and traffic updates, and told them to be careful.
For stress you can do yoga. I did this long before I became an atheist. Breathe in , breathe out. If all else fails , have a shot of some sort of alcohol ( as long as you don't over do this, or make it a habit)

Music: Big Grin I can now listen to all the music I have always loved most without feeling even one little tiny bit guilty about it! I like metal, Ozzy, Dio, Megadeth, Slayer, Nightwish, Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Metallica and so on. I always have since I was a teenager in the 80s
While being a Christian, I was told many times by many people how that sort of music was "evil" and I really shouldn't be listening to it. So for a while I didn't. I found Christian bands, like Pillar, POD ( who I still like) and ...Third Day ( hey , the guy has a nice voice..). But, I really missed listening to Slayer at volume 10...
[+] 1 user Likes annie123's post
22-01-2017, 11:29 AM
(22-01-2017 11:05 AM)annie123 Wrote:  You all seem to think that's weird me keeping a spreadsheet, but, I am a licensed engineer and have been educated to use science and math, including statistics of course. When I started the spreadsheet, I did it just because I had spreadsheets for lots of other things, and it seemed a reasonable thing to do, to put the prayers on a spreadsheet, with dates and outcomes.

We mostly just like anybody taking an analytical approach to any question.

Quote:When I have mentioned this to other Christians ( before I stopped being one) they were really not in favor of me doing this, and told me " you shouldn't put God to the test like that" which now makes me think, they too, in the back of their minds, know that prayers don't work, and they too would find out the same thing if they kept track of theirs...only they want to remain in denial...so they don't

I think that's true for many of them. At the very least they separate the god belief from "things you should think about rationally" which is a strange thing and why your use of a spreadsheet really stuck out.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP