Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Hello,

My name is Dave. I'm 40 and about to retire from the US Army. I grew up in a Christian fundamentalist family. I have some immediate family members and extended family members that are ministers in various denominations. From birth til I turned 18 I was subjected to brainwashing in one form or another. "The bible is infallible, faith the size of a mustard seed, you are a sinner" etc... I considered my self to be a saved born again christian, although I was overly sexually active, would sneak out of my home to get drunk with friends. Needless to say I lived with a tremendous amount of guilt.
I look back at my earlier life and I'm just appalled.
The one thing that Christianity doesn't want their members to do is research facts or question.
Once I began to research the beginnings of Christianity the more everything unraveled. It is all so blatantly obvious of Constantine's agenda during the council of Nicea. I didn't want to go into a particular subject in my Introduction I just wanted to show the first time my light bulb was turned on.
I became an atheist on my first combat deployment January 2003. My family is aware of this. What really bothers me is the way they talk to me. As if I've been mislead, or that I'm in danger of hellfire. Their complete disregard for logic astounds me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like datr75's post
19-04-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: new member
(19-04-2016 11:27 AM)datr75 Wrote:  Hello,

My name is Dave. I'm 40 and about to retire from the US Army. I grew up in a Christian fundamentalist family. I have some immediate family members and extended family members that are ministers in various denominations. From birth til I turned 18 I was subjected to brainwashing in one form or another. "The bible is infallible, faith the size of a mustard seed, you are a sinner" etc... I considered my self to be a saved born again christian, although I was overly sexually active, would sneak out of my home to get drunk with friends. Needless to say I lived with a tremendous amount of guilt.
I look back at my earlier life and I'm just appalled.
The one thing that Christianity doesn't want their members to do is research facts or question.
Once I began to research the beginnings of Christianity the more everything unraveled. It is all so blatantly obvious of Constantine's agenda during the council of Nicea. I didn't want to go into a particular subject in my Introduction I just wanted to show the first time my light bulb was turned on.
I became an atheist on my first combat deployment January 2003. My family is aware of this. What really bothers me is the way they talk to me. As if I've been mislead, or that I'm in danger of hellfire. Their complete disregard for logic astounds me.

Welcome to TTA! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Hello! Big Grin
19-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Welcome.
19-04-2016, 11:51 AM
"Buh buh, there are not atheist's in fox holes."

Welcome to the forum Datr75.

Thank you for your service.

Just remember that your family is the subject of the same brainwashing. They can not be fully to blamed for the actions they did/do when it comes to regarding there religion.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
19-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Welcome ^v^
19-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Welcome aboard!
19-04-2016, 01:00 PM
(19-04-2016 11:27 AM)datr75 Wrote:  My name is Dave. I'm 40 and about to retire from the US Army. ...
I became an atheist on my first combat deployment January 2003.

Hi Dave. There are no theists in firefights or foxholes.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus