new user

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2015, 04:05 PM
new user
Hello, I'm 26 years old and have considered myself an atheist since I was around 15 or so. I am a little bit wishy-washy on it I guess because I do somewhat believe in souls and that kind of crap. I know there is no basis for it in science, and therefore I should have no reason to believe in ghosts and stuff, but I can't seem to help myself. I don't talk about it often because it's not like I'm talking about anything I can provide evidence of.

My family is Christian, though not presently actively so. When I was still discovering my lack of faith it took a long time for my mother in particular to accept it. My step-father's only comment was that he's a little disappointed that he wont see me in heaven but that it's my choice to make. He and I very seldom have religious discussions, he's somewhat old school and sometimes I think he keeps up the prayer and stuff because it's expected of him. My mother on the other hand, was going to church rather frequently at the time I started to stray, and when I finally put my foot down and said I didn't want to go to church it became a matter of 'Why wont you let me share this with you anymore?' The first Sunday of every month her church has a lunch together, and she talked me into going to that and holiday services. After a year or so I managed to get her to let go of the lunches and another two or so and I finally got free of the holiday services. Now I just have to worry about when they get a new pastor, because she likes to get me to go to a service and tell her what I think of them. Charles, the pastor that was there when I stopped believing was a pretty cool guy. He related stories of the Bible to current events. His wife was secretly evil I'm sure but I was never able to prove it. After Charles was a bunch of boring guys, and eventually a guy who got right into the theology of Christianity, which I actually did enjoy. Apparently I was the only one. And now they have a pastor who tells people that non-believers aren't capable of being good (in a surprisingly tactful way, I now do not doubt how easy it is to form a violent cult.)

This year I'm finally putting a stop to celebrating Christmas. Which will be weird since I do still live with my parents and my mother is getting all stressed out because I told her this is the last Christmas I will be having much activity in. It's the most stressful time of year for me, I hate the shopping, I hate feeling obligated to buy gifts. I like to buy people things, I don't like feeling like I have to buy people things. But next year I have two compromises, I will still buy my niece presents, she's about a year and a half old and while she doesn't know who's giving her presents now she is being raised Christian and for awhile she might not understand why her Aunt isn't buying her presents for Christmas. I agreed not to introduce her to atheism until she's old enough to start asking about it, by which point my sister and brother-in-law agreed it's better coming from me than some fanatic online. Jokes on them, I probably am the online fanatic. But next year I will also be taking over the Christmas supper end of things, probably a pot luck, but I will be doing the turkey.

I also have issues with depression and anxiety, which I just realized that if Christmas is stressful for me that is probably why I've been so screwy lately... I am medicated, but sometimes I wish there were evidence of a deity because then maybe I'd have somebody to talk to who knows what to say. Because I don't know what I want to hear when I'm in a funk and nobody else knows what to say.

Overall though, my life has been exactly the same since leaving religion behind. BS statements from family about everything from evolution to suffering being a part of Yahweh's plan aside of course.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ratgirl34's post
27-11-2015, 04:44 PM
RE: new user
Welcome Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2015, 04:46 PM
new user
Welcome aboard.
27-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Hello!Big Grin
27-11-2015, 06:01 PM
(27-11-2015 04:05 PM)ratgirl34 Wrote:  Hello, I'm 26 years old and have considered myself an atheist since I was around 15 or so. I am a little bit wishy-washy on it I guess because I do somewhat believe in souls and that kind of crap. I know there is no basis for it in science, and therefore I should have no reason to believe in ghosts and stuff, but I can't seem to help myself. I don't talk about it often because it's not like I'm talking about anything I can provide evidence of.

My family is Christian, though not presently actively so. When I was still discovering my lack of faith it took a long time for my mother in particular to accept it. My step-father's only comment was that he's a little disappointed that he wont see me in heaven but that it's my choice to make. He and I very seldom have religious discussions, he's somewhat old school and sometimes I think he keeps up the prayer and stuff because it's expected of him. My mother on the other hand, was going to church rather frequently at the time I started to stray, and when I finally put my foot down and said I didn't want to go to church it became a matter of 'Why wont you let me share this with you anymore?' The first Sunday of every month her church has a lunch together, and she talked me into going to that and holiday services. After a year or so I managed to get her to let go of the lunches and another two or so and I finally got free of the holiday services. Now I just have to worry about when they get a new pastor, because she likes to get me to go to a service and tell her what I think of them. Charles, the pastor that was there when I stopped believing was a pretty cool guy. He related stories of the Bible to current events. His wife was secretly evil I'm sure but I was never able to prove it. After Charles was a bunch of boring guys, and eventually a guy who got right into the theology of Christianity, which I actually did enjoy. Apparently I was the only one. And now they have a pastor who tells people that non-believers aren't capable of being good (in a surprisingly tactful way, I now do not doubt how easy it is to form a violent cult.)

This year I'm finally putting a stop to celebrating Christmas. Which will be weird since I do still live with my parents and my mother is getting all stressed out because I told her this is the last Christmas I will be having much activity in. It's the most stressful time of year for me, I hate the shopping, I hate feeling obligated to buy gifts. I like to buy people things, I don't like feeling like I have to buy people things. But next year I have two compromises, I will still buy my niece presents, she's about a year and a half old and while she doesn't know who's giving her presents now she is being raised Christian and for awhile she might not understand why her Aunt isn't buying her presents for Christmas. I agreed not to introduce her to atheism until she's old enough to start asking about it, by which point my sister and brother-in-law agreed it's better coming from me than some fanatic online. Jokes on them, I probably am the online fanatic. But next year I will also be taking over the Christmas supper end of things, probably a pot luck, but I will be doing the turkey.

I also have issues with depression and anxiety, which I just realized that if Christmas is stressful for me that is probably why I've been so screwy lately... I am medicated, but sometimes I wish there were evidence of a deity because then maybe I'd have somebody to talk to who knows what to say. Because I don't know what I want to hear when I'm in a funk and nobody else knows what to say.

Overall though, my life has been exactly the same since leaving religion behind. BS statements from family about everything from evolution to suffering being a part of Yahweh's plan aside of course.

Welcome to TTA. There is no need to stop celebrating Christmas since it is celebrated in many, many non-Christian cultures.

Just enjoy the good stuff. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Welcome aboard!
27-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Welcome!
27-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Celebrate Christmas as a Winter Solstice event....which it kinda is anyway. Or.....

[Image: festivus-434.jpg]

Big Grin

Welcome!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Sup, new user. There's some good support here if you want it, so jump right in to some conversations. Yes

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel