newbie introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: newbie introduction
(28-12-2014 11:44 PM)warsong Wrote:  Hello my name is Marvin I'm 25 and I live in the Bible Belt. A little about my story, I was raised Baptist but only my grandparents took it seriously. My mother took me and my sister to church occasionally but it wasn't to the point where was dedication. I was a Christian on and off since to age of 10. I don't know exactly would made me stop believing in the faith. perhaps it was because I started losing faith in all fairy tales, such as for an example Santa Claus, monsters under the bed, pro wrestlers etc. I was somewhat of an eccentric kid. I was always curious and always so noisy about everything and I was also very arrogant to correct every misspelling or error in grammar of every adult or child I came across. Not saying I'm think I'm smarter than everyone because I'm know I'm not. I was mostly well behaved also but of course I did have the dark moment in my life at the age of 12 when I was sentenced to juvenile detention. there I remember praying to God to let me free and I would turn a new leaf. at that time I remembered reading the Bible in sitting in a court mandated Bible study hosted by a Catholic nun. I remembered not exactly what she said verbatim but I can only recall her preaching fire and brimstone to us lowly prisoners. I don't blame her for thinking lowly of us for after all we did commit crimes but I can't help but think all the Bible was is about punishing people in order to keep them in line. A few sermons later I remember standing in front of the court waiting for my judgment I was relieved to hear I was free to go but I wandered what's my prayers answered or did the judge have sympathy over me and thought maybe I wasn't too much of a lost cause. Either way I was forced again with my family to attend church and I tried very hard to believe but I couldn't help but always judge and analyze the verses. 3 years later I was 15 and I denounce my faith secretly and started to practice different faiths. I shortly tried out Wiccan but it didn't make much sense to me. Then I tried Islam mostly because I have a member of my family who converted also with Nation of Islam, but then I realized it was no more better than Christianity. The only exception was that there was a bit of more violence than the old testament. Then lastly I think I tried out the Baha'i faith. I didn't have anything against them but again like the first one I thought it was mostly a waste of time. In between these transitions I did have the loss of faith and I now will consider myself as an atheist if not agnostic . I recently came out of the atheist closet to my mother which is very taboo in the Black community because of its spiritual roots. You could even say that the black community depends on some form of superstition. The reason why I joined this site is because I want to explore more people who have similar thinking as I do in challenge to have any better understanding what it means to be secular individual. I hope one day I will use what I learnt on this site from the people I meet
and contribute in public or on youtube for example.
Nice to meet you all and I hope might I'm here I can grow into a powerful voice of freethinkers and secularist.

[Image: 289bc35909ca89d1c416585076ae9149e0ee10ce...69401d.jpg]

Seriously, welcome. Smile

I'm impressed by the path you've taken, even if you thought those sects were a waste of time. because it implies a lot of curiosity. Curiosity is a great quality to cultivate.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 01:23 PM
(28-12-2014 11:44 PM)warsong Wrote:  I don't know exactly would made me stop believing in the faith. perhaps it was because I started losing faith in all fairy tales, such as for an example Santa Claus, monsters under the bed, pro wrestlers etc. I was somewhat of an eccentric kid.

Shocking

Undecided

Weeping

Life shattering info aside ...

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
08-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the forum ! This is not everyday that we find a former baptist , ex-member of Nation of Islam and former bahi'a.
08-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Welcome