newby

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2011, 01:55 PM
newby
Hey everyone,

This is my first thread and I will use it to introduce myself. I live in Ontario Canada, and I retired three years ago. I am married (41years) to a devout RC and have two children, one girl, one boy.

I have been an atheist for as far back as my memory will take me. Even as a kid I wanted to know all about this god they were telling me about but any questions that I had were usually answered with, "Because we say so." I figured if they could not or would not answer a nine-year-old's questions, they must be joking so I never did accept that there was a god.

Prejudice against atheists in particular and everyone in general is not as bold faced here as in the US but I did run into barriers several times because of my unwillingness to tow the bible line.

More about me later if you wish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jimmygun's post
19-10-2011, 03:29 PM
RE: newby
Welcome to the forum.

I hope you don't mind me asking but does your wife know your views, and what are your children's views?

PS. If you cannot find this thread in the Atheism and Theism forum then there is a good chance one of the mods will have moved it to Introductions so just have a look in there.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
19-10-2011, 06:16 PM
(19-10-2011 01:55 PM)jimmygun Wrote:  Hey everyone,

This is my first thread and I will use it to introduce myself. I live in Ontario Canada, and I retired three years ago. I am married (41years) to a devout RC and have two children, one girl, one boy.

I have been an atheist for as far back as my memory will take me. Even as a kid I wanted to know all about this god they were telling me about but any questions that I had were usually answered with, "Because we say so." I figured if they could not or would not answer a nine-year-old's questions, they must be joking so I never did accept that there was a god.

Prejudice against atheists in particular and everyone in general is not as bold faced here as in the US but I did run into barriers several times because of my unwillingness to tow the bible line.

More about me later if you wish.

Welcome....great to hear from you
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-10-2011, 06:55 PM
(19-10-2011 03:29 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

I hope you don't mind me asking but does your wife know your views, and what are your children's views?

PS. If you cannot find this thread in the Atheism and Theism forum then there is a good chance one of the mods will have moved it to Introductions so just have a look in there.

I have been openly atheistic since my teens. When we decided to get married it was important to her that we were wed in the catholic church. I was okay with that until I was told to sign an agreement that I would raise my children in the RC church and send them to RC schools. Nope, wasn't going to happen. Long story short, they backed off and we were married. My kids went to church, were baptised and my daughter confirmed. My son refused to be confirmed so its two two in our house. Neither went to RC schools until high school then both chose RC.