noahs ark

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2013, 08:49 PM
noahs ark
One of my favorite stories is the great flood.you cant go 5 seconds without running into another problem with it but its a fun story nevertheless. my question is let say you really wanted to build an ark for all the millions of species of plants and animals (we can exclude fish for the obvious reason) how long would it take to build,and how big would it have to be, and how large of a staff would you need?image the area you would need just for the food!!I doubt if a structure like could be built with just wood.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: noahs ark
[Image: NoahsArkV.San-Diego-Zoo.jpeg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-09-2013, 09:45 PM
(23-09-2013 08:49 PM)beezy Wrote:  One of my favorite stories is the great flood.you cant go 5 seconds without running into another problem with it but its a fun story nevertheless. my question is let say you really wanted to build an ark for all the millions of species of plants and animals (we can exclude fish for the obvious reason) how long would it take to build,and how big would it have to be, and how large of a staff would you need?image the area you would need just for the food!!I doubt if a structure like could be built with just wood.

With test-tube gene samples and one of those nifty gadgets from Fifth Element, you could store 100 million samples in something the size of a cruise ship.

Or a space station. Or an Automated Reconstruction Chamber in an interstellar craft. :-)

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
23-09-2013, 09:50 PM
(23-09-2013 09:45 PM)I Am Wrote:  With test-tube gene samples and one of those nifty gadgets from Fifth Element, you could store 100 million samples in something the size of a cruise ship.

Or a space station. Or an Automated Reconstruction Chamber in an interstellar craft. :-)

That's basically the Titan project and spacecraft from the movie Titan A.E.

[Image: titan-ae.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-09-2013, 12:22 AM
(23-09-2013 09:17 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: NoahsArkV.San-Diego-Zoo.jpeg]

Oh man. I LOVE going over the the Wild Animal Park.
We gots baby pandas, (at the Zoo), and giraffes, and all kinds of weird fruit bats, hanging upside down. My little brother has a "thing" going with two of the zebra babies. I think they remember him, (smell ?) You're not supposed to feed them, but he sneaks them a treat.

I wonder about the microbes. Don't forget the microbes.
Mrs. Moses sat there and counted out the lice, and the bacteria with their mail-order microscope .... OK.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-09-2013, 12:25 AM
We build these all the time...
[Image: aircraftcarrier01.jpg]
An aircraft carrier with a nice bit of of acreage for all the clean and unclean beasts. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
24-09-2013, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2013 12:35 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-09-2013 12:25 AM)kim Wrote:  We build these all the time...
[Image: aircraftcarrier01.jpg]
An aircraft carrier with a nice bit of of acreage for all the clean and unclean beasts. Wink

Yeah. We have lots of both in SD.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-09-2013, 01:14 AM
(24-09-2013 12:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-09-2013 09:17 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: NoahsArkV.San-Diego-Zoo.jpeg]

Oh man. I LOVE going over the the Wild Animal Park.
We gots baby pandas, (at the Zoo), and giraffes, and all kinds of weird fruit bats, hanging upside down. My little brother has a "thing" going with two of the zebra babies. I think they remember him, (smell ?) You're not supposed to feed them, but he sneaks them a treat.

I wonder about the microbes. Don't forget the microbes.
Mrs. Moses sat there and counted out the lice, and the bacteria with their mail-order microscope .... OK.

Exhibit A: stand-up comedian Mike Birbiglia.

[Image: mike-birbiglia-5.jpg]

[^ relevant part starts at 5:10 ^]

This is good guy Mike Birbiglia. Once upon a time he made fun of my local zoo on a Comedy Central special. Unfortunately this caused him to get some unwarranted hate mail. Fortunately the next time he performed in Erie, one of the zookeepers attended and actually invited Mike on a backstage tour of the zoo. Mike has since then sponsored a few of the animals and made a donation to the zoo.

In all seriousness: Stay classy Mike, this is just another reason why you're one of my favorite stand-up comedians. Thumbsup

PS. This is a way better story than Noah's Ark, amiright? Big Grin

24-09-2013, 07:42 AM
(23-09-2013 09:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-09-2013 09:45 PM)I Am Wrote:  With test-tube gene samples and one of those nifty gadgets from Fifth Element, you could store 100 million samples in something the size of a cruise ship.

That's basically the Titan project and spacecraft from the movie Titan A.E.

Yep. And Deepwater Black, and an old Doctor Who episode, and probably some others.

24-09-2013, 07:47 AM
(24-09-2013 01:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  This is good guy Mike Birbiglia. Once upon a time he made fun of my local zoo on a Comedy Central special. Unfortunately this caused him to get some unwarranted hate mail. Fortunately the next time he performed in Erie, one of the zookeepers attended and actually invited Mike on a backstage tour of the zoo. Mike has since then sponsored a few of the animals and made a donation to the zoo.

In all seriousness: Stay classy Mike, this is just another reason why you're one of my favorite stand-up comedians. Thumbsup

PS. This is a way better story than Noah's Ark, amiright? Big Grin

I'm sure your zoo is nice. Your reporter, though, says "Ex-specially."