not "Persicution" v2.0

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2011, 10:57 AM
not "Persicution" v2.0
Hey guys, this is a spinoff thread from the original one by Kempy.
I wanted to ask about something a little different...
How does being an outed Atheist affect your (or your children's) day-to-day lives?
More specifically have you ever had a personal incident/experience where someone tried to force (or lightly/subtly push) their religion on you or your children? Teachers, local churches, other parents, other religious family members etc.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2011, 12:45 PM
RE: not "Persicution" v2.0
(23-12-2011 10:57 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Hey guys, this is a spinoff thread from the original one by Kempy.
How does being an outed Atheist affect your (or your children's) day-to-day lives?
More specifically have you ever had a personal incident/experience where someone tried to force (or lightly/subtly push) their religion on you or your children? Teachers, local churches, other parents, other religious family members etc.

I've been "unfriended" on Facebook countless times for disagreeing with religious or political posts (and even more frequently for stating my views in a blog that I advertise on Facebook). People regularly accuse me of "hating God", and don't want to hear why I'm actually an atheist or why I don't believe in the bible. The conversations are always one-sided, because I want to be open-minded and friendly but I rarely get that in response. And I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in any of these things... I think that these are all common among my fellow atheists.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
23-12-2011, 12:48 PM
(23-12-2011 12:45 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  People regularly accuse me of "hating God", and don't want to hear why I'm actually an atheist or why I don't believe in the bible.

I love the irony of this accusation. How can we possibly hate something that doesn't exist? That would be like asking me why do I hate unicorns so much? I don't hate unicorns just because I don't believe in their existence. But I am going to think you're a bit whacky if you do believe.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-12-2011, 01:10 PM
(23-12-2011 12:45 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(23-12-2011 10:57 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Hey guys, this is a spinoff thread from the original one by Kempy.

I've been "unfriended" on Facebook countless times for disagreeing with religious or political posts (and even more frequently for stating my views in a blog that I advertise on Facebook). People regularly accuse me of "hating God", and don't want to hear why I'm actually an atheist or why I don't believe in the bible. The conversations are always one-sided, because I want to be open-minded and friendly but I rarely get that in response. And I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in any of these things... I think that these are all common among my fellow atheists.

Damn, I was pretty proud of getting unfriended by one woo-woo believer, and here you go bragging about being unfriended 'countless times'.
What am I doing wrong???

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-12-2011, 01:13 PM
(23-12-2011 01:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Damn, I was pretty proud of getting unfriended by one woo-woo believer, and here you go bragging about being unfriended 'countless times'.
What am I doing wrong???

Chas, if you like, you can be my FB friend and I'll unfriend you for no good reason at all. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-12-2011, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2011 01:29 PM by Chas.)
(23-12-2011 01:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(23-12-2011 01:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  

What am I doing wrong???

Chas, if you like, you can be my FB friend and I'll unfriend you for no good reason at all. Big Grin

Can you make a bunch of identities and unfriend me daily? I've got to raise my score into 'countless' territory.

I skimmed your blog and find it intelligent and well-written; not at all hateful.

Have you considered being more selective in your choice of friends? I have been unfriended once, but I did goad her a little. She is into aroma therapy and crystal whatever - all the new age woo - and making a living at it.Dodgy
I have some FB friends who are religious, some who are a bit new-agey, and (blush) even some who are conservatives. I don't attack them unprovoked, but I don't let them get away with crazy statements without a challenge.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-12-2011, 02:09 PM
(23-12-2011 01:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  I skimmed your blog and find it intelligent and well-written; not at all hateful.

+1 - good blog! I'm adding to my blog roll Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
23-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I have only been unfriended once by my wife's aunt. She's another that's in denial of our government being secular in nature and die hard against evolution. She's a nut bag. My bro-n-law is an atheist also and he loves to get her going lol!

I haven't had a good conversation in a while with someone that believes in evolution. My wife is atheist but is so uninterested in discussing this stuff.

My mother said she thought about unfriending me on facebook but I told her to just ignore or hide my stuff if she don't want to see it because I'll post anything I like on there.

I haven't dealt with many people face to face yet but I'm sure once college starts in January it'll be a blast.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
23-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Really falttered that this line of thought is continuing. I dont have children (im only 18). i was born in an atheist family and didnt even know of the concept of god until later in life. However when i was told i should go on a camp (turned out to be a very religous one) by one of my teachers it affected me deeply for a long time mostly because they drilled into me the concept of hell and i thought those i loved or even myself could be sent to there. It took me until the end of high school until i finally shook this completely and became an out spoken atheist. Hope this is a good example on how people bushing faith on young people can affect them.
[+] 1 user Likes Kempy's post
23-12-2011, 11:30 PM
(23-12-2011 08:44 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  I have only been unfriended once by my wife's aunt. She's another that's in denial of our government being secular in nature and die hard against evolution. She's a nut bag. My bro-n-law is an atheist also and he loves to get her going lol!

I haven't had a good conversation in a while with someone that believes in evolution. My wife is atheist but is so uninterested in discussing this stuff.

My mother said she thought about unfriending me on facebook but I told her to just ignore or hide my stuff if she don't want to see it because I'll post anything I like on there.

I haven't dealt with many people face to face yet but I'm sure once college starts in January it'll be a blast.

I got to have a lovely discussion on evolution last night with a friend who studied Evolutionary Psychology at Oxford. Made all the more entertaining and snooty sounding because of her sexy accent. Mmmm, picture yourself hearing all about mitochondria in the dulcet tones of an attractive woman from Coventry.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post