not believing in god and believing in no god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2013, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 06:01 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
RE: not believing in god and believing in no god
(09-02-2013 04:38 PM)Zat Wrote:  I am truly sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

I was NOT rolling my eyes at you, but rather at the question itself: all i can do is repeat my question:

"Is not seeing something 'proven' the same as seeing it 'disproven'?"

I thought the distinction was obvious.

If I offended you -- I am sorry -- I did not mean to do that. Sad
nope. i apoligize. it seems i have jumped to a conclusion. no hard feelings?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
09-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Chas.

I'm not a lawyer and you're ducking a simple ass question, brother. Boourns.

Hey, Zat.

Quote:Is not believeing in "dark energy" the same as believing there is no such thing as "dark energy"?

I really want to say yes, but I have the feeling that's not the answer you were looking for Cool

Hey, Simon.

That sounded interesting but I didn't understand it. Do you think you could dumb it down for me?

Hey, Kim.

Quote:I don't believe in god.

I believe there is no god.

These are different things.

This is the problem. To some people, the distinction is clear as day. To others, such as myself, the distinction is clear as mud. If people who understand and accept the distinction keep responding to those that find it muddy with, "well it's clear," then that's not exactly helping the situation. And if the thought behind it is, "It's true, therefore you should just understand it," again, nothing is being helped.

I think in this case, in this thread, two people at least, the OP and me, are trying to understand the distinction. But we don't. So I think people need to address that directly and be open to taking new approaches to fostering understanding.

Let me try this example.
If someone says, "There is no such thing as gravity," then I think most of us here understand that in the same way.
If someones says, "I don't believe in gravity," I don't see the difference. Do you? If you do, help me to understand why.

If someone says "There is no such thing as gravity," I understand that to mean, "that man doesn't believe in gravity." Do you see it as two different things perhaps? If so, can you help me understand why?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
09-02-2013, 05:59 PM
ok so i think get what you guys are saying. lets see..
are you saying that "i dont believe in god" is an agnostic position while saying "i believe there is no god" is a gnostic position.
if so im not sure i agree...
09-02-2013, 06:00 PM
(09-02-2013 05:54 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Chas.

I'm not a lawyer and you're ducking a simple ass question, brother. Boourns.

I answered the question. What's your problem?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2013, 06:00 PM
I don't 'believe' in gravity, I know it exists. It's the reason why my hair dryer fell down and landed on my foot instead of floating upward or simply levitating.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Chas.

Come on. Don't give me that BS.

Hey, Anjele.

Thank you for that, but it's not quite helping. Your position is that there is gravity. So I'm not gaining any insight into my question.

Matt
09-02-2013, 06:19 PM
(09-02-2013 06:17 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Chas.

Come on. Don't give me that BS.

Hey, Anjele.

Thank you for that, but it's not quite helping. Your position is that there is gravity. So I'm not gaining any insight into my question.

Matt

BS? You ask a bullshit question with fixed answers and accuse me of BS? Piss off.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-02-2013, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 07:31 PM by Zat.)
Guys, this is silly! The distinction is obvious. Doubt versus Certainty. What could be simpler than that?

"I am sure there is no god" is certainty.

"I am not sure if there is a god" - is uncertainty.

Quite a difference.
[+] 4 users Like Zat's post
09-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Chas.

I have no idea where you're coming from.

You tell me E. You tell me lawyers do it all the time. You repeat the same "Chas. Sergeant. 173943." POW stuff over and over and you're telling me that you answered the question? I don't get you.

Do you believe there is a God? That's a simple question. I don't know how it's "bullshit". And you sure as hell aren't telling me despite the fact that I asked you straight up why and you didn't even answer that.

And knowing that you didn't answer shit, you just circled the wagons and
fired out an automated response, you sit there and ask me, "what's your
problem?" What the fuck is that about?

And fixed answers? How is "Other" a fixed answer? "Is it one of these three things or is it something other?" How is that fixed? I ask you to explain other. I ask you to rewrite the question if you don't like it. You do absolutely nothing and you tell ME to piss off? I have no idea where you're coming from. None.

I asked you to help me understand something and you told me to sit down and shut the fuck up. That's what you did.

So if you wanna get all pissy, fine. But don't tell me you've answered my question.
09-02-2013, 06:33 PM
(09-02-2013 06:30 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Chas.

I have no idea where you're coming from.

You tell me E. You tell me lawyers do it all the time. You repeat the same "Chas. Sergeant. 173943." POW stuff over and over and you're telling me that you answered the question? I don't get you.

Do you believe there is a God? That's a simple question. I don't know how it's "bullshit". And you sure as hell aren't telling me despite the fact that I asked you straight up why and you didn't even answer that.

And knowing that you didn't answer shit, you just circled the wagons and
fired out an automated response, you sit there and ask me, "what's your
problem?" What the fuck is that about?

And fixed answers? How is "Other" a fixed answer? "Is it one of these three things or is it something other?" How is that fixed? I ask you to explain other. I ask you to rewrite the question if you don't like it. You do absolutely nothing and you tell ME to piss off? I have no idea where you're coming from. None.

I asked you to help me understand something and you told me to sit down and shut the fuck up. That's what you did.

So if you wanna get all pissy, fine. But don't tell me you've answered my question.

How is "I do not believe there are any gods as there is no evidence for their existence" not an answer?

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post