of games and palidability

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2017, 08:29 PM
of games and palidability
I don't know why i have never asked the question before. I been having a lot of those moments lately where I procrastinate due to epiphanies. I was watching old videos from extra credits and tones about the singularity and it dawned on me. can a game become hyper palatable. I know palatability deals with food but that's were I am getting the concept from. the concept of hyper palatable food is food designed so tasty to a species that it will pick it over decently good and completely healthy food.

so to rephrase the question with slightly different parameters. can a game or piece of media be handcrafted so well for a person{or a human} that they would chose to do that over anything else even if it was helpful for them to do so.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2017, 09:22 PM
RE: of games and palidability
(02-01-2017 08:29 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I don't know why i have never asked the question before. I been having a lot of those moments lately where I procrastinate due to epiphanies. I was watching old videos from extra credits and tones about the singularity and it dawned on me. can a game become hyper palatable. I know palatability deals with food but that's were I am getting the concept from. the concept of hyper palatable food is food designed so tasty to a species that it will pick it over decently good and completely healthy food.

so to rephrase the question with slightly different parameters. can a game or piece of media be handcrafted so well for a person{or a human} that they would chose to do that over anything else even if it was helpful for them to do so.

I think that's already happening. There's more than a few stories out there about people who become so sucked into their online games that they lock their kids in the closet or something so they can play for like 30 hours straight undisturbed. Modern life seems to be getting more boring and repetitive while the big game companies are getting psychologists involved to help them create games that are, by comparison, more emotionally fulfilling than reality.

'Murican Canadian
02-01-2017, 10:50 PM
(02-01-2017 08:29 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  ... can a game or piece of media be handcrafted so well for a person{or a human} that they would chose to do that over anything else even if it was helpful for them to do so.

And the irony is that palatability has evolved.

Do we like honey because it's sweet or is honey sweet because we like it?

Wink

02-01-2017, 11:17 PM
(02-01-2017 09:22 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 08:29 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I don't know why i have never asked the question before. I been having a lot of those moments lately where I procrastinate due to epiphanies. I was watching old videos from extra credits and tones about the singularity and it dawned on me. can a game become hyper palatable. I know palatability deals with food but that's were I am getting the concept from. the concept of hyper palatable food is food designed so tasty to a species that it will pick it over decently good and completely healthy food.

I think that's already happening. There's more than a few stories out there about people who become so sucked into their online games that they lock their kids in the closet or something so they can play for like 30 hours straight undisturbed. Modern life seems to be getting more boring and repetitive while the big game companies are getting psychologists involved to help them create games that are, by comparison, more emotionally fulfilling than reality.

It kind of reminds me of that movie Surrogates with Bruce Willis.
02-01-2017, 11:25 PM

I think games, like anything else, can become an addiction for some people.
03-01-2017, 06:30 AM
In related news...

Ariana Grande is due to star in an upcoming Final Fantasy mobile game. Laugh out load

[Image: NVCVvOz.png]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2017, 06:49 AM
Pop stars don't do much for me, but Raul was my favorite Fallout NV character because Danny Trejo Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
03-01-2017, 11:59 AM
(03-01-2017 06:30 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In related news...

Ariana Grande is due to star in an upcoming Final Fantasy mobile game. Laugh out load

I love that pic... lol

03-01-2017, 12:06 PM
(02-01-2017 09:22 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

Thumbsup that's all I have to say to this... I agree.

03-01-2017, 12:31 PM
(03-01-2017 11:59 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 06:30 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In related news...

I love that pic... lol

Seconded.

But your quandary leads to the frontiers of mind control. As a sprout coming up on CIA type espionage novels, I used to take the potential for mind control largely for granted, sure, they're doing it. Recently, as an atheist will do, I revisited the beliefs of youth to evaluate the truth value of such a notion. Unsurprisingly, I found it lacking.

So while the short answer might as well be, Ariana Grande; the long answer is "not quite."

However, with the advent of genetic engineering, it is possible to introduce a viral vector of susceptibility into the populous, and from there...

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post