ok atheists think with me :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2014, 01:25 AM
RE: ok atheists think with me :)
Every time I see this thread I think it reads, "ok atheists think for me." Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-09-2014, 01:48 AM
(27-09-2014 01:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Every time I see this thread I think it reads, "ok atheists think for me." Drinking Beverage

That's not far from the truth. Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
27-09-2014, 01:51 AM
(26-09-2014 08:59 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(26-09-2014 08:22 PM)Shamma Wrote:  I'm serious !!

I really needed what you said just now..!

I understood atheism like I never did before.. really no jokes Big Grin

thanx

Why don't you believe in bigfoot? Consider

who said I don't ? Big Grin

I believe that everything is possible..

the existence of bigfoot doesn't contradict with my religion anyway Sleepy

However! I believe that ..

information enters the human mind through his senses .. eyes ears hands.. etc

and based on that.. human imagination "including imaginary things" are created by the thoughts and information he gained from real life!

let's say .. Sindbad, he is an imaginary cartoon character !!

what I think is that people created this character from the story of Solemon the king and prophet of jews Big Grin

see what I mean Tongue

So.. the same goes for bigfoot.
27-09-2014, 02:10 AM
(27-09-2014 01:51 AM)Shamma Wrote:  
(26-09-2014 08:59 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Why don't you believe in bigfoot? Consider

and based on that.. human imagination "including imaginary things" are created by the thoughts and information he gained from real life!

what I think is that people created this character from the story of Solemon the king and prophet of jews Big Grin

see what I mean Tongue

Except of course there is as much if not more evidence for Sinbad than there is for Solomon. So there's that. Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
27-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Shamma,

As it seems that perhaps you're serious (I'm still skeptical), I want to ask you some questions about perspective.

- Why would a god existing have any bearing on evolution or the big bang? Would a god not be capable of doing these things?

- If a god does exist, wouldn't it make more sense to propose that the big bang and evolution are how he/she threw the universe into existence? Why be quick to discredit that? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to understand the world around you and if you believe a god did it, would that not perhaps add more to the beauty of what you see?

A famous quote I greatly enjoy about that:

“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked and science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”

-Carl Sagan

- Imagine the universe right now. Imagine the planets in your solar system. Zoom out a little and think of the local clusters of stars we have. Go even bigger, imagine the shape of the milky way. Now, imagine how small you are in that. Go even further, imagine BILLIONS of galaxies. Try to even imagine what that must look like.

If you have a hard time imagining it... watch this first. I sometimes watch it when I need a humbling day Smile

Now, why would a god capable of creating something that incredible and vast make the only way to understand him/her in something as terrible and mistranslated as a book that has been translated into so many languages with primitive cultural mishaps and imperfections? Why would things be open to interpretation? Wouldn't an all powerful god be more capable of something more impressive than using something other than a book? If a god capable of creating that wanted us to understand him/her, why only a book and why leave it open to interpretation in so many ways?

- Why would a god capable of creating that care at all about any infinitesimally small geographical areas on our planet and call them "holy" when you're nothing more than a speck of dust in the universe? In the grand scheme of things, the universe is so vast, it's unlikely our species will ever see it all. Doesn't it seem primitive? Wouldn't it seem petty to allow people to fight over "his and hers" or "mine and theirs" or over a bunch of dirt they call "holy"?

- If evolution/change over time didn't happen, why do you share the same genetic composition as apes? Why would a god create creatures and then create dna, and then make their dna traceable generations back into common ancestors? Why would a god create creatures that share the same genetic composition as other animals up to 97%, and why would he do it to the "smart ones"? If a god wants nature to be understood, why would there be so many things that contradict ancient religions as we learn more about nature? Why would a god even allow that?

- Does it not make more sense to propose that perhaps it is more important then to care more about what's true than what sounds good to us out of religious books?

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
27-09-2014, 12:30 PM
(07-09-2014 02:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Here's the deal. I can easily conceive that there may be a creator of all of existence. I can even conceive of the idea that there is some sort of purpose to it all.

What I can't put my finger on is who, what, where, why or how. Neither have I heard about anyone who can.

If you can put any sort of rational tangibility to any answer to any of those questions, let me know and I'll consider changing my outlook on whether or not a god exists.

Until then I remain skeptical. I'm fine with that, sorry that you're not.

Yanno skepticism is so cool. Yanno why?
Keeps us looking searching
..growing, learning.
Hunting.
Never take the accepted wisdom for tomorrow that may change.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
27-09-2014, 12:36 PM
(27-09-2014 12:10 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Shamma,

As it seems that perhaps you're serious (I'm still skeptical), I want to ask you some questions about perspective.

- Why would a god existing have any bearing on evolution or the big bang? Would a god not be capable of doing these things?

- If a god does exist, wouldn't it make more sense to propose that the big bang and evolution are how he/she threw the universe into existence? Why be quick to discredit that? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to understand the world around you and if you believe a god did it, would that not perhaps add more to the beauty of what you see?

“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked and science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”

-Carl Sagan

- Imagine the universe right now. Imagine the planets in your solar system. Zoom out a little and think of the local clusters of stars we have. Go even bigger, imagine the shape of the milky way. Now, imagine how small you are in that. Go even further, imagine BILLIONS of galaxies. Try to even imagine what that must look like.

If you have a hard time imagining it... watch this first. I sometimes watch it when I need a humbling day Smile

Now, why would a god capable of creating something that incredible and vast make the only way to understand him/her in something as terrible and mistranslated as a book that has been translated into so many languages with primitive cultural mishaps and imperfections? Why would things be open to interpretation? Wouldn't an all powerful god be more capable of something more impressive than using something other than a book? If a god capable of creating that wanted us to understand him/her, why only a book and why leave it open to interpretation in so many ways?

- Why would a god capable of creating that care at all about any infinitesimally small geographical areas on our planet and call them "holy" when you're nothing more than a speck of dust in the universe? In the grand scheme of things, the universe is so vast, it's unlikely our species will ever see it all. Doesn't it seem primitive? Wouldn't it seem petty to allow people to fight over "his and hers" or "mine and theirs" or over a bunch of dirt they call "holy"?

- If evolution/change over time didn't happen, why do you share the same genetic composition as apes? Why would a god create creatures and then create dna, and then make their dna traceable generations back into common ancestors? Why would a god create creatures that share the same genetic composition as other animals up to 97%, and why would he do it to the "smart ones"? If a god wants nature to be understood, why would there be so many things that contradict ancient religions as we learn more about nature? Why would a god even allow that?

- Does it not make more sense to propose that perhaps it is more important then to care more about what's true than what sounds good to us out of religious books?

This is the kind of thinking that has me coming back to TTA. Great post Logisch!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-09-2014, 01:01 PM
(27-09-2014 01:51 AM)Shamma Wrote:  
(26-09-2014 08:59 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Why don't you believe in bigfoot? Consider

see what I mean Tongue

So
You see the bible as just a story? Written by man FOR man?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
27-09-2014, 01:20 PM
(26-09-2014 08:16 PM)Shamma Wrote:  
Quote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to guess that you don't have a problem with a flower not having a purpose and eventually dying and returning to nothingness. Yet a flower is also a living thing. Why is it easy to except the truth for a flower, but not for humans? Consider It's all simply the way the universe works.

ahaaa Gasp true .. never thought about a flower Tongue

I'll think about that.. !
That's great! I'm happy to hear that you are willing to consider alternative viewpoints and not just make up excuses to insist that you are right. I've seen plenty of other people choose the excuses route and, in the end, they always look foolish. You certainly don't need to agree with me, but kudos for having an open mind to start off. Thumbsup

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
27-09-2014, 11:44 PM
(27-09-2014 12:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 12:10 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Shamma,

-Carl Sagan

This is the kind of thinking that has me coming back to TTA. Great post Logisch!

Aw Smile Well, thank you Smile

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.