omish on the web

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2012, 09:36 PM
omish on the web
i had to post this[I know it's an old story from red eye buttt} basically they where doing a story on womens reading habits the kindle and erotica {and please believe me} they said they omish romance novels are selling about 17 percent} so I got a dumb question. since when did omish people own kindles. I mean I may be looking at this wrong but it sees a little fishy to me. what do you think.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2012, 01:31 AM
RE: omish on the web
(12-09-2012 09:36 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  i had to post this[I know it's an old story from red eye buttt} basically they where doing a story on womens reading habits the kindle and erotica {and please believe me} they said they omish romance novels are selling about 17 percent} so I got a dumb question. since when did omish people own kindles. I mean I may be looking at this wrong but it sees a little fishy to me. what do you think.

I had the understanding that Amish people refused to use technology.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
13-09-2012, 04:12 AM
(13-09-2012 01:31 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I had the understanding that Amish people refused to use technology.

Apart from you know, horses and carts and iron and... er... technology...

Not sure about Omish people though. Would they be related to Ohmish people ? - they're said to have a high resistance to electricity Tongue
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
13-09-2012, 04:55 AM
(13-09-2012 04:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 01:31 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I had the understanding that Amish people refused to use technology.

Apart from you know, horses and carts and iron and... er... technology...

Not sure about Omish people though. Would they be related to Ohmish people ? - they're said to have a high resistance to electricity Tongue

Pun-tastic!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Ohmish people have very special powers. Their Kindles operate with no batteries, as they conduct vibrational energy out their butts, (as Bishadi already explained).
Ohmish romance authors are going broke however, since they only get 17 % of wholesale, so they market their little fishies, to stay afloat.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-09-2012, 09:12 AM
I was under the impression it was Amish? There's a pretty large population of these plain loving people in my part of rural Missouri. As far as I understand a group of Amish can dictate their own beliefs to a certain extent although I believe the use of technology is forbidden. I did watch a documentary one time that was talking about how since the world has changed so quickly in the past few decades that they are coming around and starting to accept more technology.

(Deodorant should be one, imo)

It may be menonites, which is a branch of Amish religion, which is much more accepting of technological advances. They drive cars, own debit cards, dress in horrid floral print dresses, that kinda stuff....

"I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
13-09-2012, 09:53 AM
The Amish aren't forbidden from using all technology.

They have a thing against any tech that they believe will tear apart the family unit. I would imagine Kindles would likely fall under that category, seeing as how most books are against the rules already, and so are forms of entertainment such as television and music (of the good variety).

They also like to do things the old fashioned way, partly because they feel that it is important to work with your hands and be involved in every aspect of your survival. Passing down the knowledge needed to build your own house for instance is very important to them. So is the sense of community, they believe strongly in the helping of neighbors. Can't argue with that. I wish I knew someone who would not only show me how to build a house but would also help me do it.

I wouldn't enjoy any other aspect of the Amish way of life however. It's pretty brutal. No good music would be one of the kickers. No electric guitar Sad no cool shoes. No dirty sex. Boooorrrrriiiinnnnnngggg.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
13-09-2012, 10:34 AM
The Amish have had cell phones for quite some time. They take a practical approach in using the telephone in limited ways, as they do with most forms of technology. I shit you not. The Amish are pretty technically savvy... they just don't show it off.

I have to assume the Amish would use a Kindle to look at a text book on carpentry or animal husbandry or crop rotation. But if they have one, I'm also going to assume it will be used for other things such as entertaining reading.... life is pretty boring without a good book to read. The Bible doesn't provide nearly enough good smut to satisfy the average Amish person. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post