only Catholics are true BELIEVERS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: only Catholics are true BELIEVERS
So, I was dragged to mass this morning and it was Latin day. Undecided

Whole mass in Latin. Seriously, I doubt the congregation is fluent in Latin, so the rote answers mindlessly offered were quite entertaining -- at least to me.

However it has inspired me to make a large pot of meatballs and gravy, drink some red wine and watch The Godfather.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-02-2014, 02:40 PM
The mass is still held in Latin in the US?

Kind of ironic considering that protestantism came partly into existance and several wars including the 30 years war, partialy broke out because of that.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
02-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Bucky Ball, thanks for the advice. I will now increase my supply of cotton balls.
02-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I just clicked through that video. Did I really just hear Thomas Aquinus's proof? The one that's been debunked by Lawrence Krauss among others?

Do we have no new arguments?
02-02-2014, 03:35 PM
(02-02-2014 02:40 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  The mass is still held in Latin in the US?

Kind of ironic considering that protestantism came partly into existance and several wars including the 30 years war, partialy broke out because of that.

In general, no. 99% of the Masses in the US are in English. There are probably more Masses in Spanish than in Latin. There is a small group of Catholics (including the Suscipe Domine crowd) who think that "real Catholicism" died (or was at least severely wounded) as a result of Vatican II and the vernacular Mass. They long for the good old days, and a few Latin Masses are still said to keep them happy.
02-02-2014, 04:00 PM
(02-02-2014 02:40 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  The mass is still held in Latin in the US?.

This particular Catholic church does Latin mass once a month, I gather. I was rather impressed at how large the crowd was.

Also, people were dressed nicer than the usual, not carrying coffee cartons from Starbucks and many women were veiled.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

02-02-2014, 04:08 PM
(02-02-2014 04:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This particular Catholic church does Latin mass once a month, I gather. I was rather impressed at how large the crowd was.

Also, people were dressed nicer than the usual, not carrying coffee cartons from Starbucks and many women were veiled.

Sounds like that's just an exercise in pomp and circumstance.

Not like there's anything wrong with that, but it's clearly not so much about the religion at that point. But who doesn't love kooky old traditions?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
02-02-2014, 04:16 PM
(02-02-2014 09:26 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  The video he posted has only one argument in it that can be summerised as:

"Everything that exists has cause and therefor god exists"

"Cause" is a human concept that we interpret into things. We therefor create that cause due to our perception, meaning that in the end this entire notion is a human and not supernatural consept.

Well thats not the only video he posted against atheism. The Catholic traditional monk, brother Dimond, also posted another video that you atheists cannot refute because the science is on the side of the theist, just as the video proves from the scientific evidence itself. But I'm sure none of you will listen to all of it because you are lazy reprobates who are blind to the truth...........

Here is the link to that Youtube video which proves intelligent design......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYSmV2FlHDw

Extra Ecclesium Nulla Salus(Outside the Catholic Church There is No Salvation)
02-02-2014, 04:25 PM
(02-02-2014 02:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So, I was dragged to mass this morning and it was Latin day. Undecided

MSBB, what were the circumstances that coerced you into attending a mass?
I can only think of a few situations that I would go, a wedding or a funeral and the latter maybe not.

I have made it a point the last several years to show up at the cemetery for the burial and skip the service. The last time I did go to a funeral mass I went to give the eulogy (devoid of any mention of god I'm quite proud to say).

I've gone so far as to turn down offers of being the godparent for a nephew though I did go to his baptism. That was awkward but I could not agree to teach the boy Catholicism if his parents did not, not to mention I didn't "qualify" in the eyes of the RCC.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/article...e0233.html

So...what possesed you? Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-02-2014, 04:26 PM
(02-02-2014 04:16 PM)RC_DAVE333 Wrote:  Here is the link to that Youtube video which proves intelligent design......

I will assume, for the sake of argument, that this so-called "proof" is not a pile of fetid buffalo turds.

Why is it not recognized by the scientific establishment?

"lol conspiracy" is not an answer.

... this is my signature!