opinions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2012, 07:32 PM
RE: opinions
(16-03-2012 02:59 PM)Leela Wrote:  I chose the gay example because it is a common "oh my gooooodness don't talk about it!"-topic

about the bodily functions, in the middle ages under common people noone would care. you would sit at the table and burb and if you wouldn't burb people would ask you if it wasn't good. years later burbing was not ok anymore, hold your breath, don't make a sound, don't do it and don't talk about it. well in that I think we are going back to the middleages Big Grin

Not just the middle ages, burping and farting were considered acceptable (and humourous) until Victorian morals / etiquette started to dominate.
But I refer here to England. Another famous feudal society, Japan, found that behaviour obnoxious.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2012, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2012 03:57 PM by Mr Woof.)
(16-03-2012 07:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-03-2012 02:59 PM)Leela Wrote:  I chose the gay example because it is a common "oh my gooooodness don't talk about it!"-topic

about the bodily functions, in the middle ages under common people noone would care. you would sit at the table and burb and if you wouldn't burb people would ask you if it wasn't good. years later burbing was not ok anymore, hold your breath, don't make a sound, don't do it and don't talk about it. well in that I think we are going back to the middleages Big Grin
We tend to mix with people who share and support our long term convictions and this can lead to stagnant thinking.
On the other hand where political correctness, of any variety is too severe, it may be preferable to just avoid the 'frenemies' or agree to limiting conversations.
Sorry accidently usurped your space.........V
16-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I wasn't talking about table manners or pre-adolescent, pre-Victorian humour; i meant the vulgar language.... but you're right: we are regressing in public discourse. Might as well call whomever you like whatever you like. Who knows, it might solve a problem.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
16-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Mr Woof.
Could you do me favour and re-ediit your last post.
Thanks.
btw, good to see you still here.

16-03-2012, 10:39 PM
(16-03-2012 09:57 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Hi Mr Woof.
Could you do me favour and re-ediit your last post.
Thanks.
btw, good to see you still here.

Hi D.L.J
wHAT PART WOULD YOU LIKE RE-EDITED?Smile
17-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Your insert looks like it is part of my quote. I don't disagree with you but I would not want to take credit for your opinion. :-)

17-03-2012, 03:55 PM
(17-03-2012 06:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Your insert looks like it is part of my quote. I don't disagree with you but I would not want to take credit for your opinion. :-)

Ah yes an error in my posting and the reason I added the bit about usurping. Sorry!
17-03-2012, 04:15 PM
(15-03-2012 04:37 PM)Leela Wrote:  I just saw a short clip of Til Schweiger (German Actor) ranting in a tv show about a very serious topic.
I am leaving the exact topic out because that's not what I want to talk about.
So I very much aggreed on his opinion but the rest of the people looked pretty shocked.

The video got me to think.
How are we supposed to say the truth about what we think about difficult topics?
Why is it judged so badly to use heavy words for heavy topics?

(the following is an example) What about saying that a serial killer should be killed? (this was an example)

Let's say this is my opinion. How shocked would you be? What if I told you this in the face, will you nod and be like, "yeah, well you are kinda right", or will you be like "no no nevahhh", or will you start preaching human rights and whatever else to me?

There are lots of such topics and most of the time when talking to whoever, I find myself watching what I say and stay as objective as humanly possible although I do have a real hard opinion on lots of topics. But would I say those things they would be considered rude, uneducated, nasty, stupid, even though I put a lot of thought into those things.

So saying something is pretty difficult

The wording of your disagreement or argument matters. Of course, that is what you mean, right? Wink

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
17-03-2012, 04:41 PM
(17-03-2012 04:15 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The wording of your disagreement or argument matters. Of course, that is what you mean, right? Wink
No?

I meant what I wrote. And I wrote (in short) that I would wish for people to be more direct and take less offense at the directness, not call it rude just because some facts are not hidden in flowry words.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
17-03-2012, 06:22 PM
(17-03-2012 04:41 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(17-03-2012 04:15 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The wording of your disagreement or argument matters. Of course, that is what you mean, right? Wink
No?

I meant what I wrote. And I wrote (in short) that I would wish for people to be more direct and take less offense at the directness, not call it rude just because some facts are not hidden in flowry words.

I know, and that is what I mean. Instead of making things complicated, just say what you mean, regardless. That way, if someone actually misinterprets your argument, you know they are an asshat. Wink

The only time I am eloquent or verbose is when I am dealing with one who uses such vocabulary.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab