origins of christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2015, 08:14 PM
origins of christianity
i was talking with someone awhile ago and i told them i didnt believe that jesus existed and that christianity had its origins in paganism. this person said that i was incorrect and that Christ existed. what do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2015, 08:24 PM
RE: origins of christianity
I have read books that provide compelling info that Jesus was a real historical figure and I have also read several books that were equally compelling that say he never existed at all. I myself am still unsure as to whether or not Jesus was a real life person or a made up entity. Even if he was a real human being who actually existed--I do not believe he was a demigod or possessed magical powers. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
12-07-2015, 08:28 PM
(12-07-2015 08:14 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  i was talking with someone awhile ago and i told them i didnt believe that jesus existed and that christianity had its origins in paganism. this person said that i was incorrect and that Christ existed. what do you think?

That depends on what the question really is...
A Jesus who did and said everything as recorded in the bible? No, the stories are inconsistent and without independent verification the miraculous parts have to be immediately discounted.

A Jesus who preached around that time and did some of the things recorded and whose story was later embellished? Maybe, although I think it is unlikely.

One or more preachers who were used as rough models but who didn't really do anything as recorded? Possibly.

A complete fabrication? Also possible.

I don't see that it really makes a lot of difference although I find it an interesting question.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
12-07-2015, 08:33 PM
There were also a lot of people running around during this time period who claimed to perform miracles:

http://infidels.org/library/modern/richa...kooks.html
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
13-07-2015, 12:16 AM
(12-07-2015 08:14 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  i was talking with someone awhile ago and i told them i didnt believe that jesus existed and that christianity had its origins in paganism. this person said that i was incorrect and that Christ existed. what do you think?

The problem with the opening question is in it being non specific. I suggest you read through some of the many threads already posted here to get a basic idea. If you don't find the answers here already, then you may be better able to put your question into more clear definitions of what exactly you need.

Many here have either a long history in the church and know the scripture and then broke away or there are others who perhaps never believed and yet studied in order to combat it. There are other types as well, but it helps if one knows whom and what to ask to get a definitive answer.

I see you are new so perhaps take the time to introduce yourself at the introduction area.

Anyway, welcome. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-07-2015, 12:26 AM
There's a lot of questions fogging around that question. It breaks down into asking whether a teacher of some kind existed, whether he existed and did some miracles, and whether he was the son of YHVH. The most damning thing to me is most of the secular mentions of the guy were written 30 years or more after his death by people that would have to have been operating off second hand info.

There's a guy who lived in my apartment building 20 years ago who could make fine beer and tasty pretzels out of bad mouth wash and stale tacos. But he died. True story. Ask Pete. He was there too.
[+] 3 users Like GabrielSun's post
13-07-2015, 01:21 AM

[+] 2 users Like Talviomena's post
13-07-2015, 02:11 AM
My stance on religions in general also applies to my "feelings" on the origins of Christianity. I believe there's a strong possibility, that all supernatural belief systems originated from a desire to provide comfort to worrying minds of early humanity.

At some point, I feel it morphed from a tool of the soothsayers into something that was used to control/command large groups of people. With this in mind, I don't give the stories contained in these ancient literary works any historical credibility. I could be completely wrong, but that's where I presently stand on the matter.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
13-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Something that the "devout" feel, but never admit to ---- they really believe that their particular delusion has been around unchanged since god woke up one Monday morning and decided to create the universe.

Theirs, and only theirs is the "true way" - it's always been that way, it always will be that way -- and you're a fucking moron if you don't believe it too............

Regardless of worldwide floods, a devious, articulate snake, talking flammable shrubbery, and a pedestrian walkway through the bottom of large body of water.........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-07-2015, 04:51 AM
(13-07-2015 04:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Something that the "devout" feel, but never admit to ---- they really believe that their particular delusion has been around unchanged since god woke up one Monday morning and decided to create the universe.

Theirs, and only theirs is the "true way" - it's always been that way, it always will be that way -- and you're a fucking moron if you don't believe it too............

Regardless of worldwide floods, a devious, articulate snake, talking flammable shrubbery, and a pedestrian walkway through the bottom of large body of water.........

.....or a man living in the belly of a whale, in which I have just learned, they have three chambered stomachs.

So amazed, horrified, disgusted (at the stupidity of the bile) I copied and pasted the following:

Digestive System. The first chamber of the stomach is an expansion of the oesophagus (proventriculus) and contains
stones for grinding the shells of crustaceans, etc. This structure is lacking in squid-eating beaked whales. The second
stomach chamber is the fundic chamber or fundus (the stomach proper, the 'fundus' is that part of a hollow organ
furthest from the opening(s)), which releases protein-digesting pepsin, fat-digesting lipase and hydrochloric acid. The
third and final chamber of the stomach is the pyloric chamber or pylorus, which connects to the duodenum of the small
intestine. The junction between the small and large intestines is not distinct. The liver of whales may weigh as much as
one ton.

From here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post