"pay it forward" facebook comment got on my nerves.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2016, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2016 02:22 AM by Adrianime.)
"pay it forward" facebook comment got on my nerves.
Scrolling down my news feed and an old HS acquaintance has this posted:

Quote:That one person that always breaks the "Pay It Forward" cycle. Smh ‪#‎Judged‬
And in a following comment
Quote:When they had opportunity to do it immediately and don't, it shows their character. Pretty much saying they probably never will and they are a bad human being.
(He said he was just kidding about the bad human being thing).

But damn what type of a load of crap is this? Trying to perpetuate some useless "I scratched your back, so you scratch somebody else's" scheme and then getting pissed when somebody breaks it? I mean, what is the purpose of this in the first place? it seems the ONLY possible outcome is to see just WHO IS THE JACKASS WHO BREAKS THE CYCLE? It's a freakin' set up. designed to screw the person who doesn't share the same values. Social pressure like this bugs me so freakin' much.

I tried to look up what the deal with this is. I found something called "Suspended coffee" which is apparently a system where you leave money for a coffee at a shop, and when somebody shows up who can't afford their coffee that money gets used. I'm guessing the "pay it forward" came from this suspended coffee thing. But there is obviously a huge difference in just a line of people buying coffee for each other (basically you break even, so really you accomplish nothing) vs buying for an actual needy person without getting anything in return. Even the latter case, in the context of the impersonal "suspended coffee", seems a little unreasonable to me. Here is an article that has a few reasons I agree with.
Quote:The people who need free drinks and food aren’t all on Facebook.
They won’t know what phrase they’re supposed to use. “I hate to admit it, but some of the very hungry who are absolutely deserving a suspended beverage are also the ones who appear at a Starbucks intoxicated and going from person to person begging for money,” notes Melody. “I have had it happen to me in downtown Seattle.”

Does she mean “ewww, no poors in the Starbucks”? No, not by any means. But if the supply and demand aren’t perfectly in balance, one of two things could happen. If there are too many and they build up, baristas might slip those suspended beverages to friends or favorite regulars, defeating the point. If there are too few, people might rove from shop to shop waiting for a suspended drink to pop up.

Also, is there means testing? Can you get a suspended coffee just by asking for one? Anyone who has spent enough time on online deals forums knows that there are a lot of greedy, cheap jerks out there who will order suspended coffees at the drive-thru window while sitting in a luxury vehicle.

Coffee isn’t a very nutritious food for the hungry. If you want to buy a coffee for someone in need, here’s a wacky idea: carry a few small-balance gift cards in your pocket for people who seem hungry and cold. Look toward something marginally more nutritious than coffee: hand out cards with a $5 or $10 balance to ubiquitous quick-serve or fast-food places like Subway or Taco Bell.

You could also try having actual contact with poor people. Throwing an extra coffee on your tab feels good and isn’t much of a sacrifice, but also consider other ways to help. Take some time to volunteer at a meal program. Pick up a second can of hearty soup at the grocery store and donate it.

Anyways, done venting. Have a good night!

Sheesh!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2016, 03:39 AM
RE: "pay it forward" facebook comment got on my nerves.
Yea giving is such a bad thing.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2016, 03:45 AM
What strange thing to have a beef with. Consider

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
21-01-2016, 04:53 AM
Suspended coffee my suspended ass. "Pay it forward" comes from jackasses like me so hopped up on their Gwynnies that the idea of paying back a solid is kinda ridiculous. You need to get off the facebook and find a nice video game to keep ya occupied. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-01-2016, 04:55 AM
that things till exists?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-01-2016, 05:05 AM
That movie sucked.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-01-2016, 05:08 AM
Ok and here is the other thing, lets say this person you see being given money doesn't really need it, so the fuck what, unless someone is robbing you personally at gunpoint, why the fuck is it your business? If you want to go after real mooches, go after the Walmart family and GE and Exxon and the banks and big oil. Go after the NFL which hasn't paid taxes since 66.

I find it funny nobody ever bitches about a stay at home wife with no job who has her bills paid for her, and I am sure many of those women also may drink or smoke on their partner's dime. I really don't give a shit that they do it, I do care that people get stuck on class and gender rolls. If you are not part of a consensual interaction, it is none of your fucking business.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
21-01-2016, 05:57 AM
Simple fix. If you find yourself in such a chain, and you were already prepared to pay for your meal, then just pay your amount. Tell the cashier that you understand and appreciate the gesture, but that you'd like to still pay for your order, and that they can apply that money to the next order if they're so inclined. If the next order was less? Great, it's up to them to see how they deal with it, and to the cashier for how to handle the excess funds. If it doesn't cover their meal, they got a discount, which is more than they (or you for that matter) were expecting. And you can hold your head up high knowing that you paid them what you owed them, and the game can go fuck itself; as can anyone else that might attempt to give you shit over it. You payed your due.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-01-2016, 06:07 AM
(21-01-2016 05:57 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Simple fix. If you find yourself in such a chain, and you were already prepared to pay for your meal, then just pay your amount. Tell the cashier that you understand and appreciate the gesture, but that you'd like to still pay for your order, and that they can apply that money to the next order if they're so inclined. If the next order was less? Great, it's up to them to see how they deal with it, and to the cashier for how to handle the excess funds. If it doesn't cover their meal, they got a discount, which is more than they (or you for that matter) were expecting. And you can hold your head up high knowing that you paid them what you owed them, and the game can go fuck itself; as can anyone else that might attempt to give you shit over it. You payed your due.

That's what I do (I pay for my order and say let the next person in line have the freebie)
21-01-2016, 09:40 AM
I've never been in the situation myself (I don't drink coffee and view it as a drug, so there's that). But the whole thing reeks of, "Look what I did. If you don't do it as well there must be something wrong with you!" That type of stuff just bugs me.

And yes giving is a good thing. It's the attitude of superiority, and trying to force somebody else's hand that I don't like.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.