personal question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2013, 11:08 AM
personal question
what's the best thing about being atheist? for you - personally.

I like that I can live a moral life without some crazy ass rules about it being a sin to do this, that or the other.

you?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2013, 11:11 AM
RE: personal question
Appreciation for reality as well as an appreciation for fiction.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
21-05-2013, 11:34 AM
There is no "best thing" for me.

I've never really known anything else, it's all the same.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
21-05-2013, 12:19 PM
The freedom of choice.

As someone without religion, I get to make my own choices. I can eat what I want to eat. I can wear whatever I want to wear. I can associate with people of my own choosing. I spend my time how I want to spend it. I can think and say things without fear of being punished for it. I have control over myself.

That is something those with controlling gods like Yahweh do not have.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
21-05-2013, 12:20 PM
(21-05-2013 11:08 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  what's the best thing about being atheist? for you - personally.

you?

As one who was an Xian for 24 years before becoming an atheist, the best part is not having to deal with Christian bullshit anymore! Clap
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post
21-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't know, being normal?

Going to church and falling to your knees and begging some figment of your imagination for mercy - how crazy is that?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-05-2013, 01:29 PM
(21-05-2013 11:11 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Appreciation for reality as well as an appreciation for fiction.

Having the ability to tell one from the other.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like amyb's post
21-05-2013, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 01:40 PM by cbb2274.)
The lack of cognitive dissonance is nice. I also like how I don't have to get up early and put on my fancy pants every Sunday.

Oh yeah, I can also Censored whoever I want to Censored however I want to Censored them. I can even Censored Censored Censored you in the Censored Censored with a Censored and Censored Censored various other household items if I feel like it.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
21-05-2013, 02:10 PM
As a parent I don't give my children nightmares about burning in hell, I don't have stupid manipulation tools to teach them to do the right thing. I get to think and use logic to raise my children. My children have the freedom to think and use logic.

The added amusement of people faces when you tell them. Just recently my kids' pediatrician of 22yrs made some religious comment when complimenting me on what a great parent I am and how awesome my kids are, and how I am a great person for being a foster parent, and she just assumed it was because I am such a great christian and god has blessed me. When I told her I didn't believe in god she got really pale and politely removed herself from the room. Good thing the appt was over.

I guess another thing is we (atheist) live by example not by a title or a book.

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like AlaskaMom's post
21-05-2013, 02:20 PM
(21-05-2013 11:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  There is no "best thing" for me.

I've never really known anything else, it's all the same.

Word.

Though, considered by comparison to the points of reference I do have - some hardcore Catholics in the family tree - I'm glad I haven't convinced myself that guilt and self-denial ought to be the default states of being!