*&%%$#!@$ photobucket!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2017, 09:06 PM
RE: *&%%$#!@$ photobucket!
Dang, I just looked and almost paid, but they bill a lump annual sum. Jerks. That's too painful, they need to set it up like netflix if they're going to pull this crap.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2017, 06:12 AM
(07-09-2017 09:06 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Dang, I just looked and almost paid, but they bill a lump annual sum. Jerks. That's too painful, they need to set it up like netflix if they're going to pull this crap.

I am still happy with https://postimages.org/

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Yeah Fuck Photobucket!

And fish!
I fucking hate fish!

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
08-09-2017, 06:29 AM
photobucket and tinypic are owned by the same company. Just saying

Now I am unsure why they are currently considered bad. i have had my photobucket account for the past 12 years and while there is more and more ads coming into the service, the service itself is still the same. Upload photo. done.
Tinypic simply adds a botcheck capcha in the middle to make they are not being spammed.

Rules about hatespeech on such services are simply in place because of legal issues. The fact that some things are not allowed anymore is simply because the fines are not worth it. So even places that want to support things like freedom of expression (like image hosting services and social networkds) have to apply the rules that are given to them or pay huge sums of money. Certain governments are now cracking down on places that have more users than a specific set amount. The fines are very high. So a lot of the automations have been thrown out the window and instead real people check the content. I have been in this area of work for 4 years. I can promise that nobody who checks those images cares about the images or who uploaded them. They analyze and apply a decision as dictated by their training.

I know my post isn't helping much in the search for a different image hosting site, but I hope the information helps to understand what is going on.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
08-09-2017, 07:29 AM
(08-09-2017 06:29 AM)Leerob Wrote:  photobucket and tinypic are owned by the same company. Just saying

Now I am unsure why they are currently considered bad. i have had my photobucket account for the past 12 years and while there is more and more ads coming into the service, the service itself is still the same. Upload photo. done.

Photobucket has been removing the ability to use pics permanently on message boards and such. You have to pay for that feature. People lose their avatars and so on. If they haven't hit you yet, you can still look forward to it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-09-2017, 07:29 AM
(08-09-2017 06:29 AM)Leerob Wrote:  Now I am unsure why they are currently considered bad. i have had my photobucket account for the past 12 years and while there is more and more ads coming into the service, the service itself is still the same. Upload photo. done.

The problem is that a couple months ago, Photobucket stopped letting free accounts hotlink to other sites. You have to pay $400 a year for what was free before hand. Some people were having trouble accessing their photos as well, but I was able to get to mine.

Once I realized what they'd done, I went through and cleaned out everything I had there. Even if they buck under the pressure and make hotlinking free again, I'm done with them.

Edit: ninja'd by Dom by less than a minute!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-09-2017, 07:56 AM
You don't need a hotlink to put an image in a message board.
At least not as long as you got bbcode in the message board.
TTA has it and most other forums do too. Social networks load up the photo with just the link.

Here:
I uploaded a picture on tinypic but same applies for phtotobucket. Just I am at work right now so I can't access my photobucket atm.

http://i68.tinypic.com/14mqqyw.png

This is only the link by itself. So I took the one that said "direct link for layouts". And you can find that kind of link (ending in .jpg or .png) if you right click an image and "view image in new tab".

Then you use the bbcode:
Code:
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/14mqqyw.png[/img]

you will end up with the image embedded in your post like this:
[Image: 14mqqyw.png]

Does that help? You definitely don't have to pay money for that.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
08-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Yes, that's not it. Photobucket simply cuts off the link and demands payment to put it back up. You just apparently haven't been hit yet. It's been going on for a while, I have seen the cut links quite some time in others before it got to me and I started this thread. Apparently they are rolling this out slowly.

08-09-2017, 08:43 AM
(08-09-2017 08:38 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yes, that's not it. Photobucket simply cuts off the link and demands payment to put it back up. You just apparently haven't been hit yet. It's been going on for a while, I have seen the cut links quite some time in others before it got to me and I started this thread. Apparently they are rolling this out slowly.

While I would not advocate any such thing since it is illegal....
I'm amazed that they haven't been brought to their knees with a denial of service attack. Cutting off those links means checking the file against a database of users.
It's processing. That takes resources.
I'm amazed that no person, pissed about the change in policy, has scripted the loading of thousands of images per second to just bring them to their knees.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
08-09-2017, 08:57 AM
(08-09-2017 07:56 AM)Leerob Wrote:  You don't need a hotlink to put an image in a message board.
At least not as long as you got bbcode in the message board.

You can post a photo, then a few days later, you will come back to a thread and find that your photo has been replaced by this, and you can no longer edit it to change to another photo source. :

[Image: 546259-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting-broken-image.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post