*&%%$#!@$ photobucket!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2017, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2017 09:20 AM by RobbyPants.)
RE: *&%%$#!@$ photobucket!
(08-09-2017 07:56 AM)Leerob Wrote:  You don't need a hotlink to put an image in a message board.
At least not as long as you got bbcode in the message board.
TTA has it and most other forums do too. Social networks load up the photo with just the link. this:
[Image: 14mqqyw.png]

That's hotlinking. The only two ways a site is going to be able to post a picture is to either link it from somewhere else (hotlinking, like you described above) or the site has to upload a copy of the photo to a server controlled by the site, and load it from there.

TTA used to allow attachments (I don't know if they still do), which would be the latter approach. Anything else is hotlinking.

Now, I'm not sure what the criteria Photobucket is using for cutting off any given photo. I've had the same photograph posted on three sites, and it loaded on one, and I got the stock image Rockblossom posted on the other two. The vast majority of photos I'd linked just showed that image. It's possible there's a grace period, or some users aren't affected, or something else. Still, for me, the hundreds of photos I'd linked over the years in those IMG tags suddenly stopped working a couple months ago.

Edit: If you have the hex-code of the image, you can post it in the IMG tags on a forum, and that should render it, as well. But that is basically you posting the entirety of the image data in the post in a format the forum understands. So, I guess there's that option, too. It's not particularly convenient, but it'd work.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Got a response about my monthly subscription peeve. This was the response:

Quote:Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We actually do have an annual Plus 500 plan that can be paid in monthly payments. Please click here to upgrade your account to the Plus 500 plan and take advantage of the monthly payment option we offer.

Let us know if you have any questions regarding this.

Thank you,

Moss@Photobucket Support

So, instead of paying an annual fee of $60 for the yearly subscription, their answer is I pay $40 every month for their yearly subscription. What a smug response.
08-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Oh I didn't actually realize that this is what's happening. Now that I am at home I can check a bit better and now I get it. Thanks Rock and Robby.

Well so how about imgur.com then. That seems rather simple so far.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
08-09-2017, 12:32 PM
I found the https://postimages.org/ the simplest and fastest. Screw photobucket, they took forever anyways.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-09-2017, 12:07 PM
I'd have probably paid $10/year to host the 20 - 30 images I linked from their server. I maintain that my usage should keep me in the free subscription range, but I'd have still paid a nominal fee for their services. Why don't they just include a small banner ad under each hosted photo that's linked elsewhere?

I know why. Photofuckit isn't looking for my business. They only want the whales.
28-09-2017, 12:24 PM
I still use their free version occasionally and although it's slow, it's not really unreasonably slow to me.
28-09-2017, 04:24 PM
So if I uploaded nearly all my photobucket pics from my phone, and then erased them thinking they were safe on phonybuttstick, there's no way to download them to my PC's pictures?

28-09-2017, 05:24 PM
(28-09-2017 12:24 PM)pablo Wrote:  I still use their free version occasionally and although it's slow, it's not really unreasonably slow to me.

Postimages.org is fast and you don't even have to sign up. I have kicked the bucket for sure.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-09-2017, 05:27 PM
(28-09-2017 05:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-09-2017 12:24 PM)pablo Wrote:  I still use their free version occasionally and although it's slow, it's not really unreasonably slow to me.

Postimages.org is fast and you don't even have to sign up. I have kicked the bucket for sure.

So how much are they paying you? Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
28-09-2017, 05:35 PM
(28-09-2017 05:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(28-09-2017 05:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  Postimages.org is fast and you don't even have to sign up. I have kicked the bucket for sure.

So how much are they paying you? Tongue

Hah. It's more like there is no reason to pay them. I hated photobucket with a passion, it took FOREVER to load. I finally don't spend 10 minutes cursing before I post a picture here.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post