pokemon x/y role play run

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2016, 05:08 PM
pokemon x/y role play run
I am new to playing pokemon. I am thinking of buying pokemon y.and x. mainly the reason I want to do this is I wat to do a "role play run" through both. I know what your thinking. it's a rpg of cource. the thing is I want to do like some people do in skyrim and role play as a kunoichi{female nija} and a witch. so I have a couple of questions before I posibly due this. 1. wat kind of pokemon should I use for each run. no grininjas btw. It's too obvious. I think for the kunoichi I want to do poison darkness fairy but I don't know much about the game and for witch darkness physic and dragon. the idea is to use pokemon that kind of character would se. which leads me to my next question. how much of a disadvantage will this put me at. in other words will the game still be playable or will this not be fun.

also how do you like the idea of a role ply run of a pokemon game, I like he idea but I may not due it because financial restraints.. ty for your time btw.

p.s. I've tried asking this o n pokemon forums and still have not got an answer.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2016, 08:28 PM
RE: pokemon x/y role play run
(15-10-2016 05:08 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  p.s. I've tried asking this o n pokemon forums and still have not got an answer.

Probably because there is no way to roleplay in that game. The story is entirely linear, with no meaningful dialogue choice or decisions to be made. Your lineup of pocket monsters is just a set of tools to be used in combat. Nobody in that world reacts at all to what you use, so your choice has no impact outside of what you like to see and how effective they are in combat.

Basically, this is probably one of the worst games you could have picked if you wanted any sort of feedback from the game itself, because the game won't care. This ins't Skyrim where you can become a vampire lord or join a guild of professional assassins, or do the exact opposite. There are just the gym leaders to defeat, and an evil organization to oppose, and that's all you get.

But as an aside, focusing on any one type can put you at a huge disadvantage tactically. Gym leaders focus on a single type, and you defeat them by exploiting that weakness. Not only that, but fairy, psychic, and especially dragon types are pretty rare and typically not available until at least mid-game.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
15-10-2016, 09:17 PM
(15-10-2016 08:28 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 05:08 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  p.s. I've tried asking this o n pokemon forums and still have not got an answer.

Probably because there is no way to roleplay in that game. The story is entirely linear, with no meaningful dialogue choice or decisions to be made. Your lineup of pocket monsters is just a set of tools to be used in combat. Nobody in that world reacts at all to what you use, so your choice has no impact outside of what you like to see and how effective they are in combat.

Basically, this is probably one of the worst games you could have picked if you wanted any sort of feedback from the game itself, because the game won't care. This ins't Skyrim where you can become a vampire lord or join a guild of professional assassins, or do the exact opposite. There are just the gym leaders to defeat, and an evil organization to oppose, and that's all you get.

But as an aside, focusing on any one type can put you at a huge disadvantage tactically. Gym leaders focus on a single type, and you defeat them by exploiting that weakness. Not only that, but fairy, psychic, and especially dragon types are pretty rare and typically not available until at least mid-game.

that's kid of why I asked before I bought. I never really played any of the new pokemon games so I wanted to make sure. though I can imagine a game that would use the same scenario but e more adult. I think they had hat once but I am not sure what that game was or if it had role play so???? I just like the idea.ever mind then.

15-10-2016, 09:29 PM
The reason I wanted to do this is I love to pokemon classing system.. It's epicaly awesome and I wanted to use it for actual role play. not just level grinding....lol

15-10-2016, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2016 10:15 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(15-10-2016 09:29 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  The reason I wanted to do this is I love to pokemon classing system.. It's epicaly awesome and I wanted to use it for actual role play. not just level grinding....lol

You can give yourself a sub-theme, but make it too narrow and you'll be limiting yourself. You are a Pokemon Trainer, and that's all the game will let you have. It doesn't react to what you wear or what pokemon you use; you either win the fight or you don't. The gym trainers have their themes, but nobody in the game is going to blink at you having an entire team of fire based pokemon or not. And regardless of whatever is floating around inside your head, to the game you are still just a teenager pokemon trainer; it will never give you an option to have it react to you as anything but.

Pokemon is not the role-player's RPG. For that you typically want western developed RPG's, because Japanese ones are terrible at it (with a few exceptions).

15-10-2016, 10:33 PM
interestingly enough I love jrpgs. ty for the vids. I watched already. also I played morowind. I get tht it's a good game. I just got nothing out of it. I found myself doing so little actual role play and I know why. that dang spider thing. basicaly I found it so hard to get myself to anywhere worth roleplaying because I kept getting killed by tis spider thing near the beginning of the game ad it wasn't like I was going to find it. It was kind of like it kept finding me and killing me regardless except in the first town. so I thought I might level up to kill it before it got me. I tried a few fights but I found that the easiest way to level up was to run laps around the main town. then I realized I turned the entire game into a jogging simulator. so I stopped playing form that point and never picked up the series again. I hear it's good though. another thing Is I don't like how the rpg market is going. it's kind of like the political system in america but think of the left and the right like the east and the west. you see western and eastern rpg's are becoming more polar opposites than they already are but I think that the whole hybrid of these two can work. to me the west is good at the whole role play/self insert fantasies aspect and the east is good at interpersonal drama and world building/story.

It's like you put jrpgs at a ten and wrpgs at a one scale wise. I think theirs a lot of game potential in th middle there. i.e. open world gta style final fantasy via the one that had lightning as a character{done forgot which one that was}. or the fact that raven from fire emblem seems to be somewhat a self insert fantasy in a jrpg. so theres hybrids to be made. though still need to play these games. what do you think. do you think it would be good/possible.

15-10-2016, 11:06 PM
(15-10-2016 10:33 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  It's like you put jrpgs at a ten and wrpgs at a one scale wise. I think theirs a lot of game potential in th middle there. i.e. open world gta style final fantasy via the one that had lightning as a character{done forgot which one that was}. or the fact that raven from fire emblem seems to be somewhat a self insert fantasy in a jrpg. so theres hybrids to be made. though still need to play these games. what do you think. do you think it would be good/possible.

I think you missed the main thrust of the videos. Traditional JRPG's don't really excel at anything anymore. Call of Duty and Battlefield have leveling mechanics, and JRPG's are not the sole repository for narrative excellence. If you want abnegation, you have plenty of other options. Hybridization is a mute point, because even a good JRPG is a game with a strong narrative and typically sub-par mechanics for tapping into abnegation. Put that in an open world, and at best you have something that is less fun to play than Saints Row or Grand Theft Auto.

If you want self expression, that's going to come at the cost of narrative. One of the strongest narratives in RPG's recently has been The Witcher III, and that game limits your expression by giving you a predetermined protagonist (one Geralt of Rivia, the titular Witcher). If you want the freedom to roleplay, then the current kings of that are Bethesda staples The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series; but their narratives are necessarily weaker, because they need to accommodate a much wider play style. If you want a game that truly adapts to and reacts to your choices and actions in game, then you want an immersive sim; another genre dominated by western developers and sensibilities (Deus Ex, System Shock, Bioshock, Thief, Dishonored, PREY, Arx Fatalis, etc.).

15-10-2016, 11:33 PM
I only will say I disagree with a lot off what you said. for one you seem to think because if you don't like jrpg mechanics that I shouldn't/ gain i may just be reading into things also you seem to think that my need to play jrpgs is the same need to play self expression games. can't I just play both. not in one game btw. also I like to point out if jrpg mechanics are so bad then why did everybody use them this seems to be a very flawed way of saying there inferior. the other thing is on the hybrid concept I am not talking about just dropping a jrpg into a wrpg style but them kind of bringing some f the elements of each to each other. kind of like some more self expression to jrpgs. not to the level of wrpgs ut enough.
i get that this lowers narrative but the right balance would make a interesting game. lastly me thinks you like wrogs because you played them first. not that I can say this with certainty. the ting is though. that's the way it usaly works or at least from what 've seen. a person that loves one or the other is because they more likely to play one or the other because of cultural proximately. that kind of thing facts more than just taste in video games though po I'll rest in that

16-10-2016, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2016 12:19 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(15-10-2016 11:33 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I only will say I disagree with a lot off what you said. for one you seem to think because if you don't like jrpg mechanics that I shouldn't/ gain i may just be reading into things also you seem to think that my need to play jrpgs is the same need to play self expression games. can't I just play both.

You can play both. You're just not going to scratch both itches at the same time.

(15-10-2016 11:33 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  are so bad then why did everybody use them this seems to be a very flawed way of saying there inferior.

Technical limitations and a lack of competition. Now there is competition, other games make use of abnegation just as good (if not better) than traditional JRPG's. Leaving them with a emphasis on narrative and menu driven combat, when other games also offer compelling narratives and more intricate and engaging mechanics. They've fallen behind because almost everyone else is doing what they do, only better. Leveling up, getting better equipment, and completing quests are no longer the sole purview of the RPG. Add some character customization, co-op play, shooting, and an science fiction theme, and you have Destiny. Do the same thing with humor and post-apocalypse, and you have Borderlands. Strip the narrative and make it competitive, and you have Call of Duty and Battlefield. Put it in an open world in the modern day, and you have Grand Theft Auto Online.

(15-10-2016 11:33 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  the other thing is on the hybrid concept I am not talking about just dropping a jrpg into a wrpg style but them kind of bringing some f the elements of each to each other. kind of like some more self expression to jrpgs. not to the level of wrpgs ut enough.

They already makes those games too. The best example is the aforementioned The Witcher III, which has a strong singular narrative hook with a predetermined protagonist, but gives you some wiggle room and self expression with a branching story, engaging mechanics, and limited character customization. You will always be Geralt of Rivia, but you can walk the line between a cold-hearted mercenary or benevolent savior, and the story will bend slightly to accommodate your choices. It does everything that traditional JRPG's did, only better.

See Also: Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, Jade Empire (really, just about everything Bioware does).

(15-10-2016 11:33 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  i get that this lowers narrative but the right balance would make a interesting game. lastly me thinks you like wrogs because you played them first. not that I can say this with certainty. the ting is though. that's the way it usaly works or at least from what 've seen. a person that loves one or the other is because they more likely to play one or the other because of cultural proximately. that kind of thing facts more than just taste in video games though po I'll rest in that

The success of Demon Souls and Monster Hunter, the later of which is the hottest shit in Japan, belies that argument. JRPGS now simply have to compete. If you want a good narrative, there are other options. If you want abnegation, there are other options. JRPG's have mostly lost their way, and many players who once came to them for their particular fix, can now get a better fix elsewhere. Plus there are other factors, like replayability. A game with interesting mechanics can keep bringing you back again and again. While I've played, beaten, and enjoyed my time with Bravely Default and PokeMon Y, I've only ever played them once. I saw everything they had to offer, and I have no desire to play them again. As opposed to Monster Hunter Generations, or Fallout 4, or Skyrim, or Deus Ex; which keep bringing me back again and again because they offer abnegation with a satisfying core gameplay loop.

16-10-2016, 12:21 AM
I had to stop reading for a second. you seem to be pressing the other options angel. I really don't care if there are other options. I will play jrpgs because I like them. I just need to point out that i don't have "to scratch both itches at once or have to limit myself in the way you seem to think I am." I'd also like to point out these things are largely subjective. so even if we have opposite opinions were both still itches. this is largely why I don't buy your... "other game do it better argument. so I'll finish reading your post though.