pokemon x/y role play run

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2016, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2016 01:19 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: pokemon x/y role play run
(16-10-2016 12:21 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I had to stop reading for a second. you seem to be pressing the other options angel. I really don't care if there are other options. I will play jrpgs because I like them. I just need to point out that i don't have "to scratch both itches at once or have to limit myself in the way you seem to think I am." I'd also like to point out these things are largely subjective. so even if we have opposite opinions were both still itches. this is largely why I don't buy your... "other game do it better argument. so I'll finish reading your post though.

And I don't understand what you are getting at. I'm not sure if it's your broken grammar or your free verse prose, but it's really hard to parse what you are trying to say.

What do you want? A strong narrative or player freedom? There's a gradient between the two, forcing you to make concessions as you move from one extreme to the other. There are already RPG's with strong narratives, strong freedom, or a mix of both. The thing is, JRPG's no longer have a monopoly on abnegation or strong narrative.

You keep meandering around about a hybrid, but they already exist; but when I point that out, you object, and I don't have the slightest fucking idea why.

So do you want a traditional JRPG with a strong narrative? Well, a lot of their narratives are pretty cliche at this point, but if that doesn't bother you, you have plenty of options; they just tend to be really small and niche, especially outside of Japan. So what else do you want? If you want a little more freedom, but still keep the narrative and menu based combat? Knights of the Old Republic. Is that a bit too much freedom? Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Just want a classic JRPG with all the same baggage? Bravely Default and Bravely Second. Do you actually want to role play (as indeed this started the whole damn thread)? You're not going to find that in a JRPG, because that's simply not what a JRPG is; and the RPG's that come from Japan that embrace that are decidedly western in style, like the aforementioned Demon Souls and Monster Hunter. If you want a JRPG that you can play as a Kunoichi or a witch, then you're going to have to find one where the developers made the protagonist a female ninja and/or witch; as a game that allows you to make a protagonist as such is aping western design sensibilities.

So play JRPG's all you want, enjoy what you like. But if you're going to get offended about me trying to explain why JRPG's are so much less prevalent these days (because they fell behind the times, and other genres now offer the same gameplay 'fix' that JRPG's used to solely excel at), that's a you problem, and I don't have time for it.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2016, 10:39 AM
I think the reason we are having a problem is that you think I'm objecting in the first place. I had mentioned a hybrid on the side. as a kind of meandering.. literally. the thing I am really having a problem with is that was a side issue as well. I am not objecting to your suggestions. I just have no way to account for them in my our side discussions. around the main one. you seem to think just because I say something as a side note means it has anything to do with the issue at hand. sometimes i just say things conversationally because they fit and seem interesting to talk about. I am actually taking your suggestion to play a western style game. mainly because you are right on that point. western style games are the way to go. it should have been obvious that I agreed but it wasn't because we went of on a tangent on the side note. I just got off on a small side note and it really had only ever objecting to that side point not the actual conversation at hand. whether I agree with you or not on that on that, I am still going to take your suggestion. now lets get off that side note. it seems to be a distraction to what needs to be said.

p.s. what games do you suggest. I know you have made several but I am not sure they were suggestions or you just trying to talk about my side point.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
16-10-2016, 06:34 PM
btw.... thinking about buying morrowind again

16-10-2016, 08:43 PM
(16-10-2016 10:39 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  p.s. what games do you suggest. I know you have made several but I am not sure they were suggestions or you just trying to talk about my side point.

What platforms do you have access to or do you otherwise prefer?

16-10-2016, 08:47 PM
(16-10-2016 08:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 10:39 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  p.s. what games do you suggest. I know you have made several but I am not sure they were suggestions or you just trying to talk about my side point.

What platforms do you have access to or do you otherwise prefer?

I got a pc so I use steam and on top of that I got a 3ds if I can find it.. I prefer playstion{don't have but i can get a playstation tv easily}, steam, and 3ds.. I might buy a wii U in the future.

17-10-2016, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2016 12:34 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(16-10-2016 08:47 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 08:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What platforms do you have access to or do you otherwise prefer?

I got a pc so I use steam and on top of that I got a 3ds if I can find it.. I prefer playstion{don't have but i can get a playstation tv easily}, steam, and 3ds.. I might buy a wii U in the future.

Fortunately, the PC gives you access to the largest library of games in history. If you're looking for excellent RPG's, just about everything made by Bethesda, Bioware, and Obsidian Entertainment will do you right.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind can be hard to go back too, but at least on PC you have access to mods and the command console. It has a great story, and one of the most striking worlds Bethesda ever created; but your life will be quite a bit easier if you take a few minutes to read a character creation guide to give you some pointers. At the very least, get a mod that gives you +5 Attribute points at level up, as it can help dig yourself out of a sub-par character build. This game also requires a lot of reading, this came out before Bethesda starting doing complete voice acting for all of their dialogue.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is simply more playable, but also suffers from it's own quirks. The biggest gripe is that the entire game levels up to match you, so you never really get that sense of progression and power, because even lowly road bandits will have some of the best weapons and armor in the late game if you're a high enough level; but that is a simple mod fix away. However this game has the weakest narrative of the bunch, but arguably the best piece of DLC, The Shivering Isles (which is the only thing to surpass the wonderment of Morrowind). Really, the main plot is disposable, but The Shivering Isles alone is worth the price of admission.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is easily the most solid one, both technically and from a gameplay perspective. However with the HD Remaster on the horizon, the Game of the Year Edition (with all the DLC) has seen a price hike, because anyone who already has it (or the game and all DLC) gets the Remaster for free on PC. Also, at a bare minimum you always want to install the available mod community supported Unofficial Patch for any Bethesda game. The main story is more than serviceable, and while the Hearthfire DLC is skipable, the Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC are must sees. Especially the later, where you return to visit the island of Solstheim, last seen in the Bloodmoon expansion for Morrowind; allowing you to see what over a century of time has done to the place.

But if you want the free form open world gameplay of an Elder Scrolls game, but with guns and in post-apocalyptic version of a future America as envisioned by popular science fiction of the 1950's? For that, you have the Fallout series. The first two (developed by Black Isle Studios) still hold up surprisingly well. Once again, unofficial patches are a must. These games are turn based, and play out from an isometric third person perspective. Still, the games have really sharp and funny dialogue, and often offer multiple solutions to just about every problem.

Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 are very much like their Elder Scrolls games; big open world sandboxes with plenty of freedom to do what you like. New Vegas still remains a fan favorite for sticking the closest to the originals, and given the fact that it was developed by Obsidian Entertainment (which is comprised of a lot of former Black Isle staff, the people who made the originals) and was written by the excellent Chris Avellone, it has the best dialogue, quest design, and story of the series. Fallout 3 still has an amazing evocative setting, and 4 still has the best shooting, but New Vegas has the best balance. I only take marks off of it because the art assets that Obsidian created aren't as good, nor do they mesh terribly well, with the template Bethesda started in 3 and continued in 4; Bethesda are still the better world builders.

While I love Bioware, getting the most out of their most recent games is prohibitively expensive. Being a subsidiary of EA now, you won't find their more recent stuff (anything past Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2) on Steam, you have to go through EA's own Origin digital distribution platform. Not only that, but their DLC NEVER goes on sale. Plus for some of their last generation titles, you still need to purchase the DLC through 'Bioware Points' and do so through their own website. It's a fucking horrible mess. So because of this, I cannot recommend the Mass Effect series, because getting the most out of it is prohibitively expensive. There still to this day do not have a 'Game of the Year' or 'Ultimate Edition' of Mass Effect 3 with all of the DLC. Also, the first game is pretty toss and doesn't hold up well anymore; whereas 2 and 3 are still really great third person action games in their own right.

On the PC, you could delve into the archaic mess that is 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, and explore the Forgotten Realms with Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. The originals are great and can be picked up on GoodOldGames.com for relatively cheap, but they also released Enhanced Editions of both in the last few years that include modern OS and widescreen support, in addition to new and restored cut content. These are classic CRPG's, evocative of the traditional pen-and-paper table top experience.

You can also play one of the greatest RPG's ever made, the seminal Knights of the Old Republic, and it's sequel Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Built out of the extended Star Wars universe, and happening thousands of years before the good original movie trilogy, the games are space operas with an amazing supporting cast. Especially so with the second, developed by Obsidian and once again written by Chis Avellone. While the first game has an excellent narrative that the second fails to live up to, the sequel makes up for that with some of the best written NPC companions ever, and a very different and philosophical take on the Force that has never been seen in prior games or the movies. There is an unofficial patch and content restoration mod available on Steam for their version of KotORII, and it really helps flesh out the third act that unfortunately got rushed during development. Also both these games have a hybrid combat system. It is effectively a turn based system running in real time, where you can directly control the position of your people at any time, but select their actions from a menu, that you watch them perform as their turn comes up in the queue.

Now while Obsidian was working on KotORII, Bioware was developing their next game, Jade Empire. Set in a fantastical steampunkesque take on ancient far east culture, crimping heavily from Chinese traditions. The game has an excellent narrative and a great cast of supporting characters that are very atypical given it's setting. It has a far more engaging combat system than KotOR, turning the game into a really good third person brawler; complete with fighting styles, combos, evasive rolls, special attacks, and the use of chi. Now they did release an Enhanced Edition of this, which is available on Mac, iOS, and Steam. An excellent game all around, now that I've reminded myself of it, I'm going to have to play it again once I'm done with my current Mass Effect 3 run. Plus it's not a part of a massive series, it's a nice and tidy single package that wraps itself up nicely at the end. While I'd love a sequel, it doesn't suffer the same way Dragon Age and Mass Effect do if you don't invest in the entire series.

Keeping up with my Chris Avellone Appreciation Association™, I would be remiss to not mention Alpha Protocol. This game, like many Obsidian games, has it's problems. The combat mechanics and moment to moment gameplay are weak in areas, especially in comparison to what Bioware managed to do with Mass Effect 1 &2 (but AP still plays better than ME1). But that's not the draw of this game. Once again, it's Avellone's excellent dialogue and character development that takes center stage. Combine that with a relatively open-ended approach to the game's narrative and central mystery, an excellent dialogue system (similar to Mass Effect, but with a short time limit to make decisions), and a game that allows you to approach every situation like James Bond, Jack Bauer, or Jason Bourne? If you appreciate espionage thrillers and excellent writing, it's hard not to recommend Alpha Protocol, even in spite of it's other shortcomings.

If however you want something on the go and more traditional, it's hard to do much better than Bravely Default for the 3DS. The game evokes the best of classic Squaresoft games. The game's major gameplay conceit is the idea of guarding and saving an action for later (Default), waiting for an opportune time to unless multiple actions as once (Brave). So being able to read an enemy and knowing when to attack and making the most of a small opening is key. Not only that, but you can also use Brave to go negative, taking multiple actions on the first turn at the cost of being left defenseless until you recoup your action deficit. This is great for grinding, if you know that you can wipe out the mob on the first turn with all of your extra attacks. Not only that, but the random encounter rate is adjustable, from 0% up to 200%. Besides that, the game has a traditional skill and jobs system, where you earn XP to level up in addition to earning skill points to level up your job and unlock new abilities; with the option to cross-class and have abilities from two different classes at one. If you are looking for an old-school JRPG with some modern usability improvements, it's hard to find a better example. Plus, it really is a aesthetically beautiful game.

If you also happen to have a New 3DS, the one with the control nub and improved hardware? Take a look at Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. Keep in mind that this is a New 3DS exclusive, and will not run on older models, as this game is a port of a Wii game. But if you were ever curios where that Shulk dude from Super Smash Bros. came from, this is it.

17-10-2016, 01:14 PM
ty... will be researching the games.... ty... I am going to bed early.

17-10-2016, 04:19 PM
leanning towards skyrim so far. any7 suggestions on find and implementing mods.

23-11-2016, 12:25 PM
I may have to apologies to you evelution kills. I may not be able to invest in those games right now. ty for helping me though.