polygamy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
RE: polygamy
(03-12-2012 02:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Should it be legal? Why is it illegal in most countries?
I can imagine that it's not solely for religious/traditional reasons. Forming reasonable laws concerning divorce and child custody could become difficult once more than two partners are involved.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 03:10 PM
(03-12-2012 02:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Should it be legal? Why is it illegal in most countries?
Is it the bible? Does the bible really say "one man and one woman"?

Personally, I think it's women's fault. I think marriage is mostly their idea. Men are dogs. We probably wouldn't be monogamous by nature since most other creatures in nature are not monogamous. If society were completely OK with us having multiple wives, many of us would. Some of us do even when it's not allowed. If society were fully OK with people never getting married, many men would choose that - be a single, bachelor, player, shagging all the women we could get our paws on. Some guys live that way now.

At one time (and still today in some places) most women couldn't survive on their own. Raising kids and plowing fields and hunting and barn raising, etc., was a bit much for most women. Most women couldn't just head into town and get a job (at those times, in those places), since only men were hired for most such jobs. Women living on their own were often victimized by men, raped, whatever, or accused of witchcraft if they seemed too self-reliant. Women's survival depended, mostly, on having a man around.

Sad but true.

So they made sure they got themselves a man, bargaining with the only things they had, sex, housework, raising the man's heirs, whatever - it's all they were allowed to bargain with since they couldn't really provide for the family.

But they didn't want to share their man with other women. So they insisted on monogamy. Get their man and keep him for themselves and nobody else.

And any man who's ever been married knows who's really in charge. Even if the man holds a high seat of political power, he knows who's really running his life behind the scenes. He knows what would happen (at home, privately, or maybe even not so much) to a president or even a king who decided to instigate polygamy in his political purview.

Practically the only successful implementation of polygamy was religiously-motivated. Women can argue with their husbands, cut off the sex, give the constant frigid glares, henpeck, harass, harangue, etc., but they can't do any of that to Almighty God.

(sure, that's a simplified and arguably sexist version, but I was being brief - I am sure that if I had wanted to write a whole dissertation on it, I could have been more specific and complex and maybe even toned down the language a bit to seem less sexist).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
(03-12-2012 03:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
Is it the bible? Does the bible really say "one man and one woman"?
Quite the contrary. There are many examples of polygamous relationships in the Old Testament. Polygamy is not explicitly forbidden anywhere in the Bible.

As always, Christians have all kinds of different views on this matter because the Bible has to be interpreted one way or the other. Drinking Beverage

03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
(03-12-2012 03:03 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Forming reasonable laws concerning divorce and child custody could become difficult once more than two partners are involved.

Absolutely. Because it is uncharted territory. But is being 'difficult' a good reason to not make an effort to form them?
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
(03-12-2012 03:21 PM)Janus Wrote:  Absolutely. Because it is uncharted territory. But is being 'difficult' a good reason to not make an effort to form them?
Of course not. As long as those who are willing to fight for polygamous marriages are prepared to deal with the massive resistance that awaits them, I'd say they should go for it. Thumbsup

03-12-2012, 03:34 PM
To be honest, I am willing to support people doing anything as long as they fully consent to it, their constant is valid in the eyes of me, so no underage people can abuse or be abused, and all parties involved consent as well.

I am for polygamy being a thing. Just like I am for same-sex marriage to be a thing.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-12-2012, 03:40 PM
As a polyamorous man, I definitely support any effort to make polygamy legal.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
(03-12-2012 03:21 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Quite the contrary. There are many examples of polygamous relationships in the Old Testament. Polygamy is not explicitly forbidden anywhere in the Bible.

As always, Christians have all kinds of different views on this matter because the Bible has to be interpreted one way or the other. Drinking Beverage
Different views - Kind of like how slavery is not forbidden in the Bible but is no longer legal in America. America is afterall a Christian nation. Wink
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I am rather indifferent to the entirety of the situation, sort of like I am towards the majority of marriage rights. I, personally, would not be in a polygamous marriage, but I see a some want it, so who cares? Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
03-12-2012, 03:57 PM
(03-12-2012 03:21 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 03:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Is it the bible? Does the bible really say "one man and one woman"?
Quite the contrary. There are many examples of polygamous relationships in the Old Testament. Polygamy is not explicitly forbidden anywhere in the Bible.

Nor does it say anything about incest relationships either.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]