polygamy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
RE: polygamy
(03-12-2012 03:57 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Nor does it say anything about incest relationships either.
Indeed. Even though incest is not explicitly forbidden (or allowed, for that matter), peeps frequently do it in the OT. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
(03-12-2012 02:38 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Obviously the entire world isn't going to start practicing polygamy; wherein a single man marries multiple women.
From the outset, the question is flawed.
Yes, I see now that it is a flawed question. Prior to making the original post/question, I was also wondering why the Mormons thought polygamy would work in the first place. The answer is probably that if you're going to go to the trouble of inventing a religion, why not come up with a system that benefits the men at the top.
[+] 1 user Likes cturner2020's post
03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
(03-12-2012 02:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Should it be legal? Why is it illegal in most countries?

I was wondering this myself just last night. I'm not "dating" anyone, but I'm in a kind of oddball relationship (mostly sexual) with a woman and her sister. I wondered; what if I decided I wanted to be in a serious relationship with them? What if we decided that relationship should lead to marriage? Legally speaking, it seems we'd be shit out of luck.

But, because they're sisters and thus "immediate family", would that not cancel out certain issues such as hospital visitation rights?

Eh, I don't know. I'm thinking out loud. Tongue Anyway, I think polygamy should be legal. As it stands, I can't see any good reason for it not to be.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I am fine with polygamy/polygyny being legal for the sake of polygamy/polygyny. I am not fine with the pretense of religions saying their men will be gods and the wives their goddess if they do it and for it to incorporate brainwashing and victimizing.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
(03-12-2012 03:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Personally, I think it's women's fault. I think marriage is mostly their idea. Men are dogs. We probably wouldn't be monogamous by nature since most other creatures in nature are not monogamous.
I would say that evolution plays a roll in this. Males that have the natural drive to have sex with multiple partners would have more offspring than those that don't. Females that have the natural drive to keep their male partner around would have more security (especially way back when) and would survive in greater numbers than single moms.
03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
(03-12-2012 05:20 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I am fine with polygamy/polygyny being legal for the sake of polygamy/polygyny. I am not fine with the pretense of religions saying their men will be gods and the wives their goddess if they do it and for it to incorporate brainwashing and victimizing.

Spoil sport. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
If we did allow polygamy to legal, should we put a limit on how many partners a person can have?
For example, A Canadian Mormon leader has over 25 wives and 125 children. Those children, no matter how good they are taken care of, will feel a sense of neglect from the father. Not to mention competiton between the wives and children amongst each other. I have seen the documentary and there was wives who were even 18(I think). How can you in the first place support that many people?
Is this too much?

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
(03-12-2012 05:28 PM)cturner2020 Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 03:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Personally, I think it's women's fault. I think marriage is mostly their idea. Men are dogs. We probably wouldn't be monogamous by nature since most other creatures in nature are not monogamous.
I would say that evolution plays a roll in this. Males that have the natural drive to have sex with multiple partners would have more offspring than those that don't. Females that have the natural drive to keep their male partner around would have more security (especially way back when) and would survive in greater numbers than single moms.
I know women who have many sexual partners and don't want to get married. I know women who love being mistresses.

I know many men who are very good fathers and desire to be in a family unit. I know single dad's who have sole custody.

I am sure in the context of mormon religion that some of the wives would love some brother husbands, but they are told it's wrong and evil so they can't. This is not evolution, this is suppression and submission, an issue of power and control.
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
(03-12-2012 05:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 05:20 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I am fine with polygamy/polygyny being legal for the sake of polygamy/polygyny. I am not fine with the pretense of religions saying their men will be gods and the wives their goddess if they do it and for it to incorporate brainwashing and victimizing.

Spoil sport. Angry
?? You wish to be a god?
03-12-2012, 06:29 PM
(03-12-2012 06:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 05:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  Spoil sport. Angry
?? You wish to be a god?
Nah, that's above my pay-grade. Drinking Beverage

I like to have my multiple wives serially.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]