polygamy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2012, 10:58 PM
RE: polygamy
(03-12-2012 05:48 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  If we did allow polygamy to legal, should we put a limit on how many partners a person can have?
For example, A Canadian Mormon leader has over 25 wives and 125 children. Those children, no matter how good they are taken care of, will feel a sense of neglect from the father. Not to mention competiton between the wives and children amongst each other. I have seen the documentary and there was wives who were even 18(I think). How can you in the first place support that many people?
Is this too much?
As a married father of 3, I couldn't imagine how I could be an effective father to 125 children. Even if you remove finances from the equation, there still is a limited amount of time in the day.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2012, 11:50 PM
What is wrong with you people? If two consenting people want to marry, then why not? If three why not? If 30 adults consent? There is no good reason to limit what commitments mentally sound consenting adults want to make. So what if you think it's a bad idea? If you don't like it then don't fucking do it. Most folks in my country think if I don't go to church and worship an imaginary old white dude with a long flowing beard I will burn in the pits of hell for eternity, but thankfully I am allowed to make this decision for myself and if it is a mistake it is mine to make. The same should apply to any decision in which people are not being forced against their will under violence, imprisonment, or threat of either one.

04-12-2012, 11:54 PM
(03-12-2012 03:40 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  As a polyamorous man, I definitely support any effort to make polygamy legal.
Out of curiosity, what is the situation? I have never known anyone in a polyamorous relationship before...

05-12-2012, 12:58 AM
I don't have a problem with polygamy, but here are a few things to ponder?
1) what type of tax cuts or tax benefits should a marriage have if it is more than 2?
2)how should private/public insurance work when you pay for "family" coverage?
All other social/economical/political consequences?

I'm not against it hell legalize it tomorrow.
however doesn't the privileges of marriage lose it's meaning if you can marry up to 100 different people?
Although, no one has brought this up but if there was no limit at all...you can be married to 128 different men and 266 women (where same-sex marriage is legalized)

Then they all get coverage under you benefits from you employer? If that's a ridiculous question...oh you just choose one to be on the plan...what if your 3rd lover has a rare disease
I really don't think this is a straw-man argument. I really believe this is something serious to think about.
If your answer is higher premiums when you add another dependent adult ok...so why don't you just switch your spouse in and out to avoid this? - ok let the employer decide their own policy (blah blah blah this part about insurance could continue for ever)

We aren't going to argue that un-married people and married people inherently (and in all cases) have a different level of love and commitment because that statement is bollocks.
People get married for the privileges of being married.

And how the hell would divorce look like ?

not against it...just really interesting situations would arise that I don't think our monogamous pro-marriage (family unit) society could be agile enough to deal with efficiently.
05-12-2012, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 09:08 AM by Logica Humano.)
How is the legal transfer of property to work? If there is a divorce between one wife and the husband (or one husband and the wife), what will become of her and her children (if she has any)? How will custody work? It would be a legal nightmare from what I understand.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
05-12-2012, 10:30 AM
The Mormon solution to divorce was, and still is for those fundies who practice polygamy today, nobody gets a divorce. In extreme cases, the church can override that and grant a divorce, but all property remains with the only member of the family who owns it, the man. He also gets the kids and has other wives to help raise them anyway.

The ex-wife really gets nothing. But look on the bright side, she's still "sealed" to her ex-husband so he will still be the man/god who calls her from the grave to be his wife in the eternal afterlife, so her divorce was only temporary for her earthly existence.

That's the doctrinal take on it.

On the reality side, legal divorce for a polygamist wife, except the first wife, was always and still is quite easy because polygamy has never been legal therefore wives #2 through #n were never legally married to begin with so all they legally had to do was leave. But since property ownership was really the husband's, they couldn't take anything with them except their clothes and personal effects.

Now, how that will become complicated in the case of legalized polygamy is, well, problematic. The simple solution is a mandatory pre-nuptial agreement detailing who gets what in the case of divorce. Want a second wife, sure, no problem (in this hypothetical future), but you gotta have a contract with a clear dissolution clause.

Welcome to Robert A. Heinlein's world - marriages with end dates and dissolution clauses.

As for healthcare, trust me, it's a mostly self-regulated industry and the day the legislature starts seriously kicking around polygamy laws is the day they begin modifying their corporate policies to include additional premiums for additional spousal coverage. Those insurance companies won't miss a beat, and I guarantee you that as with everything else they do in this industry, the premiums will more than cover the disbursements and the insurance companies will, as always, be ridiculously profitable.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
05-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Nice counterpoints aseptic skeptic. I was quickly looking at polls through Google. About 10 -15% of people believe polygamy should be legal in north america.
I don't think the concept will reach its tipping point soon.

The other reason I don't think it will be socially accepted is there is no big cultural push for this issue.
How many public polygamous do you know?
I only know of one triad personally.
They don't really care about the laws around bigamy because marriage is something none of them wish to engage in.
05-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Isn't one spouse enough of a headache?

[Image: giphy.gif]
05-12-2012, 11:47 PM
(05-12-2012 12:58 AM)marieV Wrote:  I don't have a problem with polygamy, but here are a few things to ponder?
1) what type of tax cuts or tax benefits should a marriage have if it is more than 2?
2)how should private/public insurance work when you pay for "family" coverage?
All other social/economical/political consequences?

I'm not against it hell legalize it tomorrow.
however doesn't the privileges of marriage lose it's meaning if you can marry up to 100 different people?
Although, no one has brought this up but if there was no limit at all...you can be married to 128 different men and 266 women (where same-sex marriage is legalized)

Then they all get coverage under you benefits from you employer? If that's a ridiculous question...oh you just choose one to be on the plan...what if your 3rd lover has a rare disease
I really don't think this is a straw-man argument. I really believe this is something serious to think about.
If your answer is higher premiums when you add another dependent adult ok...so why don't you just switch your spouse in and out to avoid this? - ok let the employer decide their own policy (blah blah blah this part about insurance could continue for ever)

We aren't going to argue that un-married people and married people inherently (and in all cases) have a different level of love and commitment because that statement is bollocks.
People get married for the privileges of being married.

And how the hell would divorce look like ?

not against it...just really interesting situations would arise that I don't think our monogamous pro-marriage (family unit) society could be agile enough to deal with efficiently.
These are all interesting questions, but by no means do they suggest that polygamy couldn't work. If it was this complicated, then the systems that marriage interact with (such as our tax system or health benefits) would accommodate. How could I be so sure? Because they already do. What does your tax agent or employer do if your adopted child gets sick? How about your biological kid that you have little or no contact with, or who you see often but is not in your primary care? How about if you have 30 or so kids, which is entirely possible for males? How do you handle the child of a girlfriend or boyfriend whom you've lived with for 5 years but are not married to?

Life is complicated, and complications are a fact of life. The only reason we don't know how an insurance carrier would handle your 5th wife is because they haven't had to tackle that question, but if they did, we have every reason to expect that it would be managed fine.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2012, 11:50 PM
(05-12-2012 09:02 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  How is the legal transfer of property to work? If there is a divorce between one wife and the husband (or one husband and the wife), what will become of her and her children (if she has any)? How will custody work? It would be a legal nightmare from what I understand.
I doubt it would vary much from the laws concerning death and estates. How would you divide property between several children if there's no will? Seniority, in a sense, which is probably how a multi-marital situation would also work. It would be strange and in some cases difficult, but I hardly think it would be a "legal nightmare".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user