polygamy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2012, 06:54 PM
RE: polygamy
What would happen to clan(yes I am calling it a clan) if the husband died? Would all the property be passed to the first wife or the oldest child? Since Mormon women can't go to heaven without being married(or is it that their husbands have to call them?), would they have to find another husband? Would he have to more children of his own? Since if you are to attain Godhood, you need to populate.
I don't know much about Mormons, so correct me if I am wrong.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
(06-12-2012 06:54 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  What would happen to clan(yes I am calling it a clan) if the husband died? Would all the property be passed to the first wife or the oldest child? Since Mormon women can't go to heaven without being married(or is it that their husbands have to call them?), would they have to find another husband? Would he have to more children of his own? Since if you are to attain Godhood, you need to populate.
We aren't talking about just Mormons.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
If I were to die. I would divide all that I have evenly with my wives. I would do the best that K can to show them that I love them all equally.

If one happened to diverse me. I would give them what is theirs and I would also give them some money to start a life. That's just me. I wouldn't suddenly abandon a person just because they lost their love for me or vice versa.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Problems with polygamy are similar as with rude capitalism: it creates society where some people have a lot and some have nothing. Effects: more crime from lower class, more fear of falling into lower class, people work more.
I prefer social sistem-i think country should provide minimal income and occasional sex for everyone.

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
07-12-2012, 12:47 AM
(06-12-2012 06:54 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  What would happen to clan(yes I am calling it a clan) if the husband died? Would all the property be passed to the first wife or the oldest child? Since Mormon women can't go to heaven without being married(or is it that their husbands have to call them?), would they have to find another husband? Would he have to more children of his own? Since if you are to attain Godhood, you need to populate.
Since you asked specifically about Mormons, given the current legal system here, first wife gets the property since she is legally married and none of the others are married. Kids don't get property unless specified in the will or mom is dead. If the only legal wife is also dead, then any heirs the father had with just that wife are next in line, just like it would have been for a monogamous marriage. Since this thread is about legalizing plural marriage, I assume laws would be put in place to divide property evenly among all legal wives and if some of them are dead too, their children may or may not be entitled to some of the division of property - I'm no lawmaker, but I imagine actual lawmakers would work that fine point out. Of course, the father might just have a will which would solve all the questions.

Mormon women are "called from the grave" to the Celestial Kingdom. If they die first, they lie in the grave until hubby dies and calls them up. Men, of course, just walk right in (assuming they are eligible at all). Divorced women are still called by their ex-husbands, even if they remarry. That assumes that they were "sealed" in the temple to their first husband. Sealing is forever. And ever. They cannot be sealed to a second man, even through proper legal divorce and remarrying, unless they get unsealed from the first man, which takes special permission from just about the highest Mormon authorities - it cannot be done by the same low-level neighborhood bishops who would perform marriages (I don't think those guys perform the initial sealing, either). So, woman gets married and sealed, that's her future god, no matter what else happens here on earth, unless she gets legally divorced AND unsealed, the latter of which is not always easy.

Attaining godhood is inevitable and automatic, assuming you're a Mormon man living according to the Doctrines and Covenants. Populating your universe is easy peasy, because you will (probably) have multiple wives (sooner or later, anyway) and you will have all of eternity - it's not necessary to have offspring here on earth for that purpose, since they won't help you populate your universe (your sons will have their own universes and your daughters will marry gods of different universes too).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
07-12-2012, 12:52 AM
If all the men kill one another in war, there are plenty of women to go around.
07-12-2012, 01:11 AM
(07-12-2012 12:52 AM)Diablo Wrote:  If all the men kill one another in war, there are plenty of women to go around.
Wars usually have a winner and a loser. Historically, winners have been pretty brutal to the loser's women, right up until the last century or so, and even that really only counts in the wars taking place in or between first-world countries. Third-world countries still brutalize the women in lands they conquer - brutalized enough that many don't survive. Sad but true. So men killing one another in war isn't necessarily the answer to establishing polygyny.

Side note, the bible supports the winners taking the women for themselves (not necessarily as wives, mind you), so a religious war involving any faiths based even partially on the Old Testament may not fare any better for the loser's women.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
07-12-2012, 03:56 AM
(05-12-2012 11:50 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 09:02 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  How is the legal transfer of property to work? If there is a divorce between one wife and the husband (or one husband and the wife), what will become of her and her children (if she has any)? How will custody work? It would be a legal nightmare from what I understand.
I doubt it would vary much from the laws concerning death and estates. How would you divide property between several children if there's no will? Seniority, in a sense, which is probably how a multi-marital situation would also work. It would be strange and in some cases difficult, but I hardly think it would be a "legal nightmare".
How do you discern seniority among the multiple spouses? How is that righteous? It is a legal nightmare, and before anyone talks about legalizing it, they need to work towards divining how it would work.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
07-12-2012, 11:17 PM
(05-12-2012 12:58 AM)marieV Wrote:  2)how should private/public insurance work when you pay for "family" coverage?

Then they all get coverage under you benefits from you employer? If that's a ridiculous question...oh you just choose one to be on the plan...what if your 3rd lover has a rare disease
I really don't think this is a straw-man argument. I really believe this is something serious to think about.
If your answer is higher premiums when you add another dependent adult ok...so why don't you just switch your spouse in and out to avoid this? - ok let the employer decide their own policy (blah blah blah this part about insurance could continue for ever)
Insurance is based upon math/statistics. If the equations are changed so that there more than two spouses, the premiums and payouts would change as well. Where is an actuary when you need one...