popcorn.gif (a FB discussion about 50 Shades and Christians)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 02:07 PM
RE: popcorn.gif
(16-02-2015 02:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 01:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Which are?

Huh from your FB page maybe?

KingsTwit: 50 Shades of AWESOME! BEST MOVIE EVER

GirylMan: I can't wait! What were your favorite scenes? Was it like the book? What did QueensChosen think?

Huh

I hope you know I was being sardonically facetious.

As for questions:

1) The hardware store scene was actually pretty comical and genuinely awkward.
2) I didn't read the book.
3) She pretty much thinks the same as me. The movie is a legit awful piece of cinema... not as bad as Noah... but still pretty bad.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2015, 02:09 PM
(16-02-2015 02:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 02:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Huh from your FB page maybe?

KingsTwit: 50 Shades of AWESOME! BEST MOVIE EVER

GirylMan: I can't wait! What were your favorite scenes? Was it like the book? What did QueensChosen think?

Huh

I hope you know I was being sardonically facetious.

You suck. Angry

#sigh
16-02-2015, 02:10 PM
(16-02-2015 02:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 02:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I hope you know I was being sardonically facetious.

You suck. Angry

I figured you knew that after all these years.

16-02-2015, 03:10 PM
lol I was asked to not be super harsh in my response.

QC knows me all too well.

17-02-2015, 06:34 AM
(16-02-2015 02:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I cleaned up the names.

Thanks!

(16-02-2015 02:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...but yeah. Fun. I shall now concoct a response.

I'll have to check it out, later. I always liked watching you debate other Christians on this site, hence my comment.
17-02-2015, 06:47 AM
I'm so confused... Popcorn

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-02-2015, 07:39 AM
(17-02-2015 06:34 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 02:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I cleaned up the names.

Thanks!

(16-02-2015 02:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...but yeah. Fun. I shall now concoct a response.

I'll have to check it out, later. I always liked watching you debate other Christians on this site, hence my comment.
My response:

Disclaimer 1: this comment is long.
Disclaimer 2: I will try to address each comment either directly or indirectly
Disclaimer 3: I will attempt to shut down my normal personality of snark, sarcasm, sardonicism, satire, and silliness (except puns), and continue with clarity, bluntness, citations, and logic. No promises. But I’ll try.

First, Mark. When my daughter gets of consenting age and becomes a grown woman, I will not be involved in her sex life or her personal life. I can only hope that the values I instill in her and the Godly principles I teach her will guide her to make the right decisions. That being said, if she is consenting to certain things, that’s none of my business as she would be her own person.

Ok, moving on…

In my years of combating hypocrites, bullies, and people that like to flaunt their piety, it’s always funny (not in a “haha funny” way but a “smh omg this is why people hate Christians type of way”) that those who are called out on being judges inevitably say something akin “but you’re judging me for judging”.

No, I’m not “judging” you. I’m stating facts. If I said, “Charles Manson is a murderer,” am I judging Chuck? No. I’m stating a fact. He is. People who posted FB status about how Christians shouldn't be watching the movie for whatever reason… doesn't matter… and is condemning that action is judging. Tell me how it is not. It’s a fact. You are.

I’ll be the first to admit that this subject is a bit of a gray (dangit) area when it comes to what is a sin and what isn't. It’s not as easily defined as say murder or stealing. This is why, of course, we turn to the Bible for instruction. And Coach, I’m glad you brought up the stumbling block thing; however, you may want to reread Romans 14 and see that it doesn’t actually bolster your claim.

The message of the chapter is to basically stay out of other people’s business and not worry or condemn others that are doing things that could be a shade of gray (omg…). The whole stumbling block thing is in reference to “placing” or actually “causing” someone to stumble – which heavily implies action; meaning someone thrusting (3 already?) this questionable act upon someone. This is how Paul is conveying the stumbling block analogy, and, in fact, he is blatantly saying to not worry yourself with someone else’s actions as it’s not for you to judge.

Whose right is it to judge? Holy Spirit, of course. Then why do you pious chest beaters feel the need to give God a hand in the ole judgey department? Are you doing it for God? Really? He needs YOU to personally convict someone. You. Awesome you. Yeah. You’re right. He doesn't need the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, wholly righteous, Holy Spirit whose JOB it is to convict Christians to do anything because He’s got you. Awesome you. Pious you.

“No Jeremy. I denounced 50 Shades of Trash and told Christians they shouldn't see it because Christians shouldn't be seeing something that sinful.”

Orly?

You sure? You sure you didn't just wait for the right subject to come along so you could stand on your soapbox and let everyone know just how super-Christianly Christian you are? So you could feign your piety for all the world to see? Hrmmm.

So why haven’t y’all coagulated and formed a FB Avengers-type Superhero group and publicly denounced and possibly ban Titanic? What? Do the “fucks”, “god damns”, “shits” and “bitches” not offend you in a PG-13 movie about a true story? What about the full frontal nudity? I’m guessing the non-consensual domestic abuse is a-okay, right? Same with the premarital sex complete with graphic sounds and acting… oh wait… it’s okay. They didn't show nudity in that scene. Lol, silly me. It’s just a normal sex scene then. Almost forgot… what about the violence… that’s cool, right? When the guy gets chopped by the propeller it is kind of funny anyway. Pffft, human life.

Oh but wait… there’s MORE!

Where were y’all at for Gone Girl? Anyone denounce this one and condemn Christians for going to see it? Content wise, 50 Shades of Grey ain’t got crap on this. What about Pulp Fiction? Departed?

Okay, since I've completely failed at my attempt to leave my 5 S’s out of my comment, I’ll be blunt.

If you did not speak out against any of these movies or worse yet, actually saw any of these movies, or ANY movie with nudity, domestic abuse, or profanity, then you are a hypocrite. Yes, hypocrite. You are a hypocrite if you condemned any Christian for seeing 50 Shades of Gray while not publicly condemning basically every Rated R (or PG-13) movie ever and/or if you've viewed any Rated R movie (or Titanic) ever. The Pharisees will see you now (I mean… really, Jeremy?).

See… the whole “denouncing” and “condemning” thing don’t really work if you pick and choose to only fight the trending thing to hate. Sure, sure, sure, I know I’m assuming here… but I’m pretty confident in my bet that there ain’t a single one of y’all that has condemned, denounced, or not seen a movie with the aforementioned prerequisites.

So? Where does that leave us? Yeah. Only one option. Your actions were done completely in a spirit of judgmental condemnation.

Here's another example: I've been convicted of only 2 movies in my life. Sin City and Superbad. Don’t know why. Just was. Walked out on them and never watched them again. It was a sin for me to watch them. I was convicted. Is it a sin for you? Must be, right. I’m a Christian. I was convicted. So obviously that means that it’s a sin for all Christians and any Christian who actually watches those movies is sinning and needs to get back to God, right?

The ocean is blue. Sapphires are blue. Therefore, the ocean is made of sapphires.

Makes sense, right. Logical.

They Holy Spirit doesn't convict everyone for the same stuff. Things that are okay with me might not be okay with you. We all have different struggles. Different convictions.

Don’t impute your own convictions upon others. When you do, you judge them. You’re a bully. You’re a hypocrite.

Look… I’m well aware I’m kind of a jerk. Especially when it comes to this subject. I've spent the last several years of my life trying to build bridges between Christianity and other religions and the irreligious. What you might not know, is your public condemnation of other Christians does way more harm than good. All it does is perpetuate the stereotype that Christians are judgmental a-holes…. Which, sadly… from my experience, is true.

Moreover, don’t think I’m doing this in a spirit of love for my fellow Christians. I’m doing it in a spirit of righteous anger for my fellow Christians. You’re wrong. You’re wrong for condemning. You’re wrong for judging. You’re wrong for proclaiming it publicly like the Pharisees did.

In the end, though, my sense of love for all people wins out. Sometimes, though, I have to speak out against the bullied and judged.

…and well… from my experience, this comment is probably going to fall on deaf ears and probably piss the lot of you off. That’s okay, though. The message is clear. I would hope that there is some reevaluation of actions that do take place, though.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
17-02-2015, 09:35 AM
RE: popcorn.gif (a FB discussion about 50 Shades and Christians)
(17-02-2015 06:47 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm so confused... Popcorn

I clarified in the title. Maybe Angie can post the rest on the comments.

17-02-2015, 11:18 AM
(17-02-2015 07:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 06:34 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Thanks!

My response:

Disclaimer 1: this comment is long.
Disclaimer 2: I will try to address each comment either directly or indirectly
Disclaimer 3: I will attempt to shut down my normal personality of snark, sarcasm, sardonicism, satire, and silliness (except puns), and continue with clarity, bluntness, citations, and logic. No promises. But I’ll try.

First, Mark. When my daughter gets of consenting age and becomes a grown woman, I will not be involved in her sex life or her personal life. I can only hope that the values I instill in her and the Godly principles I teach her will guide her to make the right decisions. That being said, if she is consenting to certain things, that’s none of my business as she would be her own person.

Ok, moving on…

In my years of combating hypocrites, bullies, and people that like to flaunt their piety, it’s always funny (not in a “haha funny” way but a “smh omg this is why people hate Christians type of way”) that those who are called out on being judges inevitably say something akin “but you’re judging me for judging”.

No, I’m not “judging” you. I’m stating facts. If I said, “Charles Manson is a murderer,” am I judging Chuck? No. I’m stating a fact. He is. People who posted FB status about how Christians shouldn't be watching the movie for whatever reason… doesn't matter… and is condemning that action is judging. Tell me how it is not. It’s a fact. You are.

I’ll be the first to admit that this subject is a bit of a gray (dangit) area when it comes to what is a sin and what isn't. It’s not as easily defined as say murder or stealing. This is why, of course, we turn to the Bible for instruction. And Coach, I’m glad you brought up the stumbling block thing; however, you may want to reread Romans 14 and see that it doesn’t actually bolster your claim.

The message of the chapter is to basically stay out of other people’s business and not worry or condemn others that are doing things that could be a shade of gray (omg…). The whole stumbling block thing is in reference to “placing” or actually “causing” someone to stumble – which heavily implies action; meaning someone thrusting (3 already?) this questionable act upon someone. This is how Paul is conveying the stumbling block analogy, and, in fact, he is blatantly saying to not worry yourself with someone else’s actions as it’s not for you to judge.

Whose right is it to judge? Holy Spirit, of course. Then why do you pious chest beaters feel the need to give God a hand in the ole judgey department? Are you doing it for God? Really? He needs YOU to personally convict someone. You. Awesome you. Yeah. You’re right. He doesn't need the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, wholly righteous, Holy Spirit whose JOB it is to convict Christians to do anything because He’s got you. Awesome you. Pious you.

“No Jeremy. I denounced 50 Shades of Trash and told Christians they shouldn't see it because Christians shouldn't be seeing something that sinful.”

Orly?

You sure? You sure you didn't just wait for the right subject to come along so you could stand on your soapbox and let everyone know just how super-Christianly Christian you are? So you could feign your piety for all the world to see? Hrmmm.

So why haven’t y’all coagulated and formed a FB Avengers-type Superhero group and publicly denounced and possibly ban Titanic? What? Do the “fucks”, “god damns”, “shits” and “bitches” not offend you in a PG-13 movie about a true story? What about the full frontal nudity? I’m guessing the non-consensual domestic abuse is a-okay, right? Same with the premarital sex complete with graphic sounds and acting… oh wait… it’s okay. They didn't show nudity in that scene. Lol, silly me. It’s just a normal sex scene then. Almost forgot… what about the violence… that’s cool, right? When the guy gets chopped by the propeller it is kind of funny anyway. Pffft, human life.

Oh but wait… there’s MORE!

Where were y’all at for Gone Girl? Anyone denounce this one and condemn Christians for going to see it? Content wise, 50 Shades of Grey ain’t got crap on this. What about Pulp Fiction? Departed?

Okay, since I've completely failed at my attempt to leave my 5 S’s out of my comment, I’ll be blunt.

If you did not speak out against any of these movies or worse yet, actually saw any of these movies, or ANY movie with nudity, domestic abuse, or profanity, then you are a hypocrite. Yes, hypocrite. You are a hypocrite if you condemned any Christian for seeing 50 Shades of Gray while not publicly condemning basically every Rated R (or PG-13) movie ever and/or if you've viewed any Rated R movie (or Titanic) ever. The Pharisees will see you now (I mean… really, Jeremy?).

See… the whole “denouncing” and “condemning” thing don’t really work if you pick and choose to only fight the trending thing to hate. Sure, sure, sure, I know I’m assuming here… but I’m pretty confident in my bet that there ain’t a single one of y’all that has condemned, denounced, or not seen a movie with the aforementioned prerequisites.

So? Where does that leave us? Yeah. Only one option. Your actions were done completely in a spirit of judgmental condemnation.

Here's another example: I've been convicted of only 2 movies in my life. Sin City and Superbad. Don’t know why. Just was. Walked out on them and never watched them again. It was a sin for me to watch them. I was convicted. Is it a sin for you? Must be, right. I’m a Christian. I was convicted. So obviously that means that it’s a sin for all Christians and any Christian who actually watches those movies is sinning and needs to get back to God, right?

The ocean is blue. Sapphires are blue. Therefore, the ocean is made of sapphires.

Makes sense, right. Logical.

They Holy Spirit doesn't convict everyone for the same stuff. Things that are okay with me might not be okay with you. We all have different struggles. Different convictions.

Don’t impute your own convictions upon others. When you do, you judge them. You’re a bully. You’re a hypocrite.

Look… I’m well aware I’m kind of a jerk. Especially when it comes to this subject. I've spent the last several years of my life trying to build bridges between Christianity and other religions and the irreligious. What you might not know, is your public condemnation of other Christians does way more harm than good. All it does is perpetuate the stereotype that Christians are judgmental a-holes…. Which, sadly… from my experience, is true.

Moreover, don’t think I’m doing this in a spirit of love for my fellow Christians. I’m doing it in a spirit of righteous anger for my fellow Christians. You’re wrong. You’re wrong for condemning. You’re wrong for judging. You’re wrong for proclaiming it publicly like the Pharisees did.

In the end, though, my sense of love for all people wins out. Sometimes, though, I have to speak out against the bullied and judged.

…and well… from my experience, this comment is probably going to fall on deaf ears and probably piss the lot of you off. That’s okay, though. The message is clear. I would hope that there is some reevaluation of actions that do take place, though.

ahhhh I knew I liked you for a reason, you and I are of similar personality traits, just on opposite sides of the theological debate, But I wholeheartedly agree with what you said. Well done. One sarcastic prick can enjoy the well spun sarcasm of another sarcastic prick, especially when laced with copious amount of intellectual barbs and knowledge of the subject.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
17-02-2015, 05:27 PM
(17-02-2015 09:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-02-2015 06:47 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm so confused... Popcorn

I clarified in the title. Maybe Angie can post the rest on the comments.

Sorry, at work and super busy all day.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?