pope wants just distribution of global wealth for the poor and hungry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 07:46 AM
RE: pope wants just distribution of global wealth for the poor and hungry
(03-12-2014 01:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 01:31 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Anybody know the exact figure? The Vatican's yearly donation to charities, I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be zero but I can't find anywhere where it's been disclosed.

I'd like to see their holdings.
Including real estate.

I looked into this once. What the RCC does is create a separate LLC for each dioceses/parish so that in the event a priest gets sued for, oh, I don’t know, something, there is a corporate veil isolating that parish from the rest.

I would think that the RCC is a master at the shell game.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
03-12-2014, 07:52 AM
(03-12-2014 07:46 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 01:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'd like to see their holdings.
Including real estate.

I looked into this once. What the RCC does is create a separate LLC for each dioceses/parish so that in the event a priest gets sued for, oh, I don’t know, something, there is a corporate veil isolating that parish from the rest.

They are actually NPOs (501( c )3), not LLCs. Each parish is sort of stand alone, but ultimately it is the diocese that takes the hit from major lawsuits. If you look at all the ones from the sexual misconduct they are directed at the diocese. There is enough corporate levels to protect the mother church.
03-12-2014, 08:02 AM
(03-12-2014 06:52 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Speaking of Catholics and money...I got a letter the other day from the high school I graduated from. Actually it was specifically from a classmate so I thought maybe it was an invitation for our 40th reunion next summer....noooooooo - they are trying to raise 6.5 million dollars for the school system and want a donation. Like they aren't hitting me up for money about every three months already.

Nice of them to send me a prayer card with the Virgin Mary on it. That's gotta be worth something, right?

They should have saved the stamp and sent it to someone who gives a shit.

but, but .... you could write back and tell them you'll sell some indulgences on eBay and give them some of the profit. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Can I just say that I think the Pope might be the person I hate the most on this planet? Like, I really wish he'd die in some slow, painful way, and the fact that that hasn't happened, to me, is just more proof a loving god does not exist.

Just the sheer idea of having a ton of completely unneeded stuff lying around your house that, without even getting rid of all of it, could be used to literally end world hunger, and probably a bunch of other problems while we're at it, and not just completely ignoring this fact while you talk about the hungry and poor, but also simultaneously being considered the best person to currently walk the Earth by tons of people, and probably yourself, makes me just so completely pissed.

Is it illogical to blame any and all hunger or poverty related deaths on him? Cause I want to.

And meanwhile, all the people on fixed incomes must tithe to the church. Weeping

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
03-12-2014, 09:15 AM
(03-12-2014 07:52 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 07:46 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I looked into this once. What the RCC does is create a separate LLC for each dioceses/parish so that in the event a priest gets sued for, oh, I don’t know, something, there is a corporate veil isolating that parish from the rest.

They are actually NPOs (501( c )3), not LLCs. Each parish is sort of stand alone, but ultimately it is the diocese that takes the hit from major lawsuits. If you look at all the ones from the sexual misconduct they are directed at the diocese. There is enough corporate levels to protect the mother church.

Thanks for the clarification, LLC is what came to mind.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
(03-12-2014 01:09 AM)Ace Wrote:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/20...92132.html

and how much will the catholic church give away ?

Molon labe!!!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
(03-12-2014 05:39 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 01:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'd like to see their holdings.
Including real estate.

Throughout history the Vatican has tried many tricks to convince, impress, and make money from people. They’ve employed the world’s best architects, artists and composers to create the impression of their church’s grandeur with overpowering edifices, music that can move one to tears, and stupendous sculptures and beautiful paintings. These things may be magnificent, and the world would be a poorer place without them, yet they add nothing to the veracity of the bible, or to validate God’s existence. Some of the world’s most fraudulent fiends own palaces and awesome art collections. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmNbecu1V6I).

Ever since the Middle Ages, the Vatican’s worldwide properties and other investments have surpassed the scale of nearly every other business in the world. Its finances are very complex and not transparent, because the Vatican bank isn’t required to pay tax or fill out a tax return. The money comes in from the world’s share markets, businesses, government taxes, thousands of dioceses, religious foundations, and fiduciaries linked to the papal state. Some commentators estimate the liquid assets to be worth over 50 billion US dollars, and that’s very likely a conservative figure. There are also probably hundreds of billions of dollars hoarded away in real estate and works of art. That, in my opinion, is not excusable from an organization preaching charity and humility. (http://www.cai.org/bible-studies/vatican-billions, http://www.chick.com/reading/books/153/153_10.asp, http://www.excatholicsforchrist.com/arti...ances.htm, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di04_vKfqNw).

It’s a remarkable fact that much of the enormous wealth the Vatican owns today was originally obtained from taxpaying Italian and German citizens in the 1930’s and 40’s. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichskonkordat, http://historyannex.com/20th-century-Eur...rds.html). People in those days often listened to priests, and were told how to vote. The Vatican got into bed with Mussolini and Hitler in deals that swapped cash for endorsement. This is one of the reasons the Vatican was loath to criticize Hitler. It’s been argued the Second World War may never have happened without the Vatican’s support for these fascist regimes.

After the war the Vatican helped hundreds of key Nazis escape Germany in return for large cash payments. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratlines_(World_War_II).
Ever since the 1950’s, right up to present times, the Vatican bank has had to fight off accusations of money laundering and deals with shady characters such as men from the Mafia.
(http://www.voxfux.com/features/vaticanmurder.html). Pope Francis is allegedly trying to do something about this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23621235).

Today’s Catholics should be aware of one scam that has put much money in the Vatican’s coffers: canonizing saints. Throughout history the grounds for beatification have been theatrical. Kings, queens, the nobility, warlords and soldiers were sanctified as saints whenever it suited the Vatican. Ignacio de Loloya with his army of Jesuits, Dimingo de Guzman and his Dominican friars, and Jose M Escriva, who founded Opus Dei, each started societies that helped fill Catholic coffers, and have been beatified for their efforts, as if a hypothetical god could care less about a corporation’s annual profit!

The late Pope John Paul II was history’s greatest saint-maker; 484 new saints appeared during his papacy. All other popes in the twentieth century canonized a total of only ninety-eight. New saints keep the cash registers sizzling hot. Canonizations mean television rights, free advertising, visits to shrines, book sales, memento sales etc. People like saints, even if they don’t like their priests, bishops, or their pope, and are gullible enough to subsidize the Vatican for creating them. In centuries past, the Vatican made a fortune trafficking indulgences; today they’re doing the same selling saints. John Paul moved a step closer to becoming a saint himself in 2011 when his successor attributed a miracle to him and announced that he’ll be beatified.

you forgot to add indulgences
simplified explanation:
catholic church made professional pardoners to forgive the sinful (which is everyone ever alive) Facepalm
people paid so they could be forgiven and continue to sin wihout fear of gods wrath Facepalm
bigger the sin the bigger the pay Facepalm
Facepalm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
(03-12-2014 01:09 AM)Ace Wrote:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/20...92132.html

Translation: The wealthy should give more to the poor and hungry so the poor and hungry will have something to give in church. Dodgy
I'm not cynical about the Catholic church at all.
/sarcasm

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
03-12-2014, 10:22 AM
(03-12-2014 05:39 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Ever since the 1950’s, right up to present times, the Vatican bank has had to fight off accusations of money laundering and deals with shady characters such as men from the Mafia.

I recently watched this video and it talked about that. It discusses many things - pedophilia, homosexual parties, etc. - but the money laundering, mafia, and inaccessibility of the bank were among them. It's worth a watch for anyone that hasn't seen it.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
(03-12-2014 06:52 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Speaking of Catholics and money...I got a letter the other day from the high school I graduated from. Actually it was specifically from a classmate so I thought maybe it was an invitation for our 40th reunion next summer....noooooooo - they are trying to raise 6.5 million dollars for the school system and want a donation. Like they aren't hitting me up for money about every three months already.

Send it back with a request for a refund of all the money you donated in the past and never got your money's worth because it's all bullshit. Tongue