popularity of US beer in the UK!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2016, 05:55 PM
popularity of US beer in the UK!
I know this subject is a bit cliche and hipsterish but I've noticed that in Britain since I started drinking when I was 18 it was common for most people to ridicule American breweries & beers (we have a kind of banter-like supremacist mentality about most things anyway, naturally). Though recently I've noticed American beers and breweries have been getting noticed alot in the UK! They are making some fantastic beers. Most people are beginning to agree.

I recently got a beer named "Gamma-ray" which came in a can that said "American pale ale" on the front. The brewery that made this beer is called Beavertown and is based in London. So I'm wondering, why does it have American pale ale on the front of the can if it's brewed in London? Is it simply just an American style beer?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2016, 06:05 PM
RE: popularity of US beer in the UK!
Old joke:

What do sex in a canoe and American beers have in common?

They're both fucking close to water. Big Grin
[+] 13 users Like pablo's post
18-10-2016, 06:15 PM
(18-10-2016 05:55 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I know this subject is a bit cliche and hipsterish but I've noticed that in Britain since I started drinking when I was 18 it was common for most people to ridicule American breweries & beers (we have a kind of banter-like supremacist mentality about most things anyway, naturally). Though recently I've noticed American beers and breweries have been getting noticed alot in the UK! They are making some fantastic beers. Most people are beginning to agree.

I recently got a beer named "Gamma-ray" which came in a can that said "American pale ale" on the front. The brewery that made this beer is called Beavertown and is based in London. So I'm wondering, why does it have American pale ale on the front of the can if it's brewed in London? Is it simply just an American style beer?

American pale ale is a style of beer. Not quite as hoppy as an India Pale Ale, but close. More hoppy than an ESB....kinda in between the two.

Another style of beer gaining in the U.K. According to a friend is a California common (or steam beer), essentially it's a lager fermented at ale temperatures.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-10-2016, 06:20 PM
(18-10-2016 06:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 05:55 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I know this subject is a bit cliche and hipsterish but I've noticed that in Britain since I started drinking when I was 18 it was common for most people to ridicule American breweries & beers (we have a kind of banter-like supremacist mentality about most things anyway, naturally). Though recently I've noticed American beers and breweries have been getting noticed alot in the UK! They are making some fantastic beers. Most people are beginning to agree.

American pale ale is a style of beer. Not quite as hoppy as an India Pale Ale, but close. More hoppy than an ESB....kinda in between the two.

Another style of beer gaining in the U.K. According to a friend is a California common (or steam beer), essentially it's a lager fermented at ale temperatures.

Ah I see! Thanks for the clarity. I was under the illusion that if an ale was e.g "American" it HAD to be brewed in American. Smile

18-10-2016, 06:21 PM
What's your favourite beer of the moment anyway ? I've really fallen in love with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

18-10-2016, 06:34 PM
(18-10-2016 06:21 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  What's your favourite beer of the moment anyway ? I've really fallen in love with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

After 30 years of home brewing and judging beer in competitions, we've switched to booze.

Right now, I'm into Gin.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-10-2016, 06:39 PM
(18-10-2016 06:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 06:21 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  What's your favourite beer of the moment anyway ? I've really fallen in love with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

After 30 years of home brewing and judging beer in competitions, we've switched to booze.

Right now, I'm into Gin.

Ah booze just means anything alcoholic where I'm from. I do prefer spirits to beer and do drink spirits more often. I've just notice micro-breweries and such have become really popular the past few years!

My partner mainly drinks gin, while I'm a whiskey or rum kind of guy. She recently got a chocolate flavoured one.. it's horrific in my opinion lol. There's a homebrew spirits shop in York, England, that sells about 200 different spirits that have multiple flavours/variations, they all rotate frequently depending on the individuals that sell their homebrews to the shop. My favourite so far was a very simple Ribena Gin! So nice. Needs no ice and no mixer, only 28% alcohol (56 proof) which is pretty low for gin but really nice. Just bang it in a fridge for 10 mins and it goes down nice and smooth Smile

My favourite branded gin has to be Opihr. Such a strange, distinct flavour. I can't think of mixing it with anything but tonic.

[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
18-10-2016, 06:43 PM
These days in Australia most vodkas are made in France or Australia. It is hard to find Russian vodka???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-10-2016, 06:56 PM
(18-10-2016 06:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  These days in Australia most vodkas are made in France or Australia. It is hard to find Russian vodka???

Not here, but even they've gone the "flavored" route.

I don't need or desire lemongrass infused vodka.

Big Grin

Jim Beam has made a apple bourbon...my only thought was why...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-10-2016, 07:00 PM
I just finished a Bass Ale. Will be toddling off to the fridge for one more. I like Sam Adams Boston Lager, but the store I went to yesterday didn't have any, so I settled for the Bass. Not bad, but a little too sweet. There is no accounting for taste, and I don't mean that in a negative way. Moms likes gin, but if all hard liquor tasted like gin (or tequila), I'd never have indulged past the first taste.