popularity of US beer in the UK!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2016, 07:06 PM
RE: popularity of US beer in the UK!
(18-10-2016 06:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 06:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  These days in Australia most vodkas are made in France or Australia. It is hard to find Russian vodka???

Not here, but even they've gone the "flavored" route.

I don't need or desire lemongrass infused vodka.

Big Grin

Jim Beam has made a apple bourbon...my only thought was why...

Because Jim Beam is awful?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
18-10-2016, 07:10 PM
(18-10-2016 07:00 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I just finished a Bass Ale. Will be toddling off to the fridge for one more. I like Sam Adams Boston Lager, but the store I went to yesterday didn't have any, so I settled for the Bass. Not bad, but a little too sweet. There is no accounting for taste, and I don't mean that in a negative way. Moms likes gin, but if all hard liquor tasted like gin (or tequila), I'd never have indulged past the first taste.

Samuel Adams is actually a relatively popular beer on draught where I'm from in UK. Makes a change from shitty Carlsberg, Carling etc.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
18-10-2016, 07:12 PM
(18-10-2016 06:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  These days in Australia most vodkas are made in France or Australia. It is hard to find Russian vodka???

A lot of Eastern European ones we get in England. One gaining a lot of popularity is a Polish one called Żubrówka. It's bison-grass vodka so it has a really nice distinct taste. I usually can't drink clear spirits straight, but Żubrówka I can if it's chilled! Has a slight green tint to it.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
18-10-2016, 07:58 PM
I had to cut my reply short earlier because I don't like to interfere with my antivirus software (and it just closes all the intertubes anyway, if I close it when it is running). Dodgy I don't generally drink beers from Germany here in the US, because they don't seem to survive the trip without getting skunky. The exception would be some German beer I had at a bar in Glendale, CA, called "The Red Lion". They had a beer on draft which I think was called "Dortmunder Ritterbrau". Best beer ever. Nice bachelor party. Thumbsup Of course, that was 30+ YA. The flavor could have changed, in the interim.
18-10-2016, 08:25 PM
(18-10-2016 07:06 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 06:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Not here, but even they've gone the "flavored" route.

I don't need or desire lemongrass infused vodka.

Big Grin

Jim Beam has made a apple bourbon...my only thought was why...

Because Jim Beam is awful?

I enjoy Jim Beam, it's got some nice vanilla notes that blend well with ginger ale. For a lower end bourbon, it's not terrible. But I find bourbon is a personal thing. I've never been a jack Daniels fan. I just don't understand the need to flavor it...

I'm crazy about Buffalo Trace, but damn it's not cheap here.

For sipping, I prefer a good Irish whiskey or scotch -- but the good stuff hurts the wallet. Smile

For rum my man and son are fond of Blackwell.

For gin, I'm fond of citadelle.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-10-2016, 08:40 PM
(18-10-2016 08:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 07:06 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Because Jim Beam is awful?

I enjoy Jim Beam, it's got some nice vanilla notes that blend well with ginger ale. For a lower end bourbon, it's not terrible. But I find bourbon is a personal thing. I've never been a jack Daniels fan. I just don't understand the need to flavor it...

For sipping, I prefer a good Irish whiskey or scotch -- but the good stuff hurts the wallet. Smile

Best lower shelf bourbon I've found is Weller's. Buffalo Trace is okay. Never been big on Jim or Jack.
18-10-2016, 08:58 PM
funny draft beer story:
At the Kingdome, they had a great selection of microbrews on tap. If the Toronto Blue Jays came to town, they would switch out a couple of the good ones for some godawful Canadian skunk brews. Many Vancouver-ites would come down to watch Toronto, and would complain bitterly about it. It was LOLworthy. A complete backfire, bringing in some common swill like it was some favor to the Canucks.
Laughat
18-10-2016, 09:42 PM
I prefer wine.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
18-10-2016, 10:34 PM
(18-10-2016 08:40 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 08:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I enjoy Jim Beam, it's got some nice vanilla notes that blend well with ginger ale. For a lower end bourbon, it's not terrible. But I find bourbon is a personal thing. I've never been a jack Daniels fan. I just don't understand the need to flavor it...

Best lower shelf bourbon I've found is Weller's. Buffalo Trace is okay. Never been big on Jim or Jack.

Weller's, I can't get here. I can barely find citadelle gin. Eagles Rare (which is totally yummy with ginger ale) is expensive here too -- I buy it on special occasions.

I think that's really how I divide things up. Special occasions, parties and holidays I'll splurge on a higher end bourbon.

I used to like Knob Creek, but I dunno...I find it over-priced for the flavor.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-10-2016, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2016 03:10 AM by Gloucester.)
(18-10-2016 06:39 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 06:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  After 30 years of home brewing and judging beer in competitions, we've switched to booze.

Right now, I'm into Gin.

Ah booze just means anything alcoholic where I'm from. I do prefer spirits to beer and do drink spirits more often. I've just notice micro-breweries and such have become really popular the past few years!

My partner mainly drinks gin, while I'm a whiskey or rum kind of guy. She recently got a chocolate flavoured one.. it's horrific in my opinion lol. There's a homebrew spirits shop in York, England, that sells about 200 different spirits that have multiple flavours/variations, they all rotate frequently depending on the individuals that sell their homebrews to the shop. My favourite so far was a very simple Ribena Gin! So nice. Needs no ice and no mixer, only 28% alcohol (56 proof) which is pretty low for gin but really nice. Just bang it in a fridge for 10 mins and it goes down nice and smooth Smile

My favourite branded gin has to be Opihr. Such a strange, distinct flavour. I can't think of mixing it with anything but tonic.

In London there used to be a pub group that had micro breweries in the actual pubs. The Lewisham one was the Fox & Firkin, I think there was a Goose & Firkin as well. I think one of the favourite brews was called Dog Wobbler.

That was in the 70s, seems the F&F is still going, but cleaned up now, civilised Weeping. Used to have board floors, second hand sofas and a bashed up upright piano that anyone who could play could play. Good, often rude, sing songs! Great atmosphere!

Correction, it was "Dogbolter" ale. History of the breweries.

Added: think "Dog Wobbler" sounds like a good name for an ale! There are great ales and beers available in Gloucester.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.