positive aspects of christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 02:07 PM
positive aspects of christianity
This is an atheist post. i am a heathen, I do not worship a jew who died on a cross or stake in first century palestine as evangelized and Christ-ianized by another hellenistic jew Saul/Paul of Tarsus, which interestingly I just discovered an essay on by Friedrich Nietzsche.

I feel a need at this point in my journey to stress the positive aspects of Christianity, and by extension perhaps all religions, if you desire, but for me, Christianity was my poison. And on my drive to campus today (Sunday) I decided to turn on the radio, AM and all I hear are church services or sermons by professional preachers, stressing love and universalism and grace and salvation. I'd just come back from Europe a few months ago and I've had my head to the grindstone here studying and working, that I forgot or I'm only now seeing how much softcontrol the religious institutions have. I'd been focusing on their opposite number, the advertizing softcontrollers, especially sex in advertizing. You can think of religious programming as a sort of marketing/advertizing, and it reminds me that even though I may not be interested in religion, the religious are interested in me. But the highest form of hate is to ignore something and enjoy life

I left Christianity because of the absurdity/contradiction, combined with the harmful effects I saw it had on people, especially my self, and if there's one entity I want to take good care of and support and nurture it is my Self. My religion is Self-centered, I must love and look after my true Self, and not let this same self be deceived. My self craves and demands power, so that it can exist and enjoy life and complete it's mission on this earth.

I came to realize all the bugs and viruses that are programmed in to our brains and thoughts and emotions and even sex drives, and that is deep, folks. When we sexualize an idea that is relative or even wrong/ like a meme for instance- when we have sexual feelings about this idea- we are hooked good, we are sex slaves of the brain. We are in their pockets, and isn't that what it comes down to? there is no god or no devil but there are on this earth human gods and devils, who design systems or run them or take their positions within them on all levels so that they can fulfill their needs as they deem necessary, even at our expenses. Which is why accounting is so useful to study- because thou knowest not gold's effect Hortensio. But also because it gives one a way of thinking, in terms of revenues and expenses, assets and liabilities, and this can be a path to power, which is breaking free. Remember if you want to poison somebody you don't just give them poison to eat- that is too obvious. You give them poison mixed with sugar and salt and all that tastes good and masks what's truly there. It's the same with religion and all that, and there is much poison in Christianity, but there is also much good that is claimed by Christianity- and also claimed by the psychology movement, and also claimed (implicitly) by business and advertizing marketers, and so on and on. We must be wary and suspicious, we must have the sensibilities of a snake, that fears to be treaded on.

Truths are all around, nobody owns them, and yet institutions and ideologies and movements want to claim them and to monopolize them, and they get the public to so identify the truth with the movement or institution to that it seems to attack the institution is to attack the truth. It's helpful to remember that every business or institution wants in the end to have a monopoly on all things in it's field. Religion wants to monopolize your life, and what is virtue. We've probably seen that in our discussion with theists. They want to monopolize morality. We atheists often argue, no no, a man can be moral without a religion. We get our morality from the same places as you. I would take it one step farther, but then again that may be why I am not so popular. I would say that morality doesn't exist, it is created by man as a sort of weapon or rule or 'institute of the head' to control behavior and thought- or rather, man's sentiment and feeling (which has a lot to do with his relative position in any given game, whether he's on top or on the bottom) gets hijacked and a "universal moral principle" gets attached onto it, so that he thinks even for an atheist, there is a definite morality. I can give you an example. Man doesn't want to hurt an innocent person who is homeless and suffering, even if he is weak. This is because perhaps of his biology and how we would be in a tribal hunter/gatherer society, especially if the man is of our race or bears resemblance in any way to us. Moreover, perhaps the man empathizes with the homeless man, and he pictures himself being in that position, and flinches. This to me is an error, which we make all the time. At least I do -I am always projecting and assuming that what I feel, want or need is what the other person feels, wants and needs, and it probably gets in the way of my own (and the other person's) enjoyment of life, and happiness. I probably do it all the time to women. I don't want to be too offensive or daring because I don't want to make them uncomfortable. I don't want to take advantage of their helplessness, to 'get sex' or get relative power. I wouldn't want to be dependent on a woman so I think I shouldn't get them dependent on me. In fact I have up to now had too much compassion and too little enjoyment of my power and what I do possess. But there is no morality that can be spoken of. There is instilled or fostered morality, based on sentiments, readily occurring or else drummed up. What's worse, the most exploited function of the human brain is man's imagination. We are constantly given extreme "What if" situations to contemplate, and shown unusual and extraordinary situations on the boxes we stare at for hours, with light and sound. Humans are creatures of emotional contagion- that we take on the emotions of those around us, most of them time, and it can be hard to resist. I sometimes think of leaders as those who are strong and who are the primary emotional initiators, unswayed by others but swaying others. How dangerous this emotional contagion can be when someone is acting in fraud- as for example advertisers or paid promoters, paid testifiers as to a product or service sold on the open market, or to a religion. How many people were won to religion because of emotional contagion? But how stupid it is to maintain an emotional connection to a person from this box of light and sound, when they are not even real, or in your vicinity? How fantastic is that? Fantasy past it's prime becomes masturbation of the brain, and as adults, we must really put our head into reality. We should rather have emotional connection with those around us, but first of all with ourselves, so we don't pollute anyone else with sadness or pity or any virus or bug.

But to get back to where I left off, there are so many good things about the Christian system, which are not exclusive to it, but many of which are de facto exclusive, by lack of another system staking a claim to them. These good things are parts of many categories, and what I'll mention is not exhaustive by any means, but they are all important. In modern Christianity, some of these virtues may be waning or disappearing, and we can perhaps more accurately say these virtues are simply more "old fashioned". Also we must consider there is no other institution in the western world like religion or like the church, which can unite people as brothers and sisters, which is organized on both economic and 'moral' levels, let alone one which crosses nations and boundaries. If there was one, like for example a strong racial or tribal movement, then perhaps there would be another entity to claim these virtues, which include the following:

The old fashioned virtues of hard work, industry, gratitude, humility, sexual control and their opposite vices, sloth, envy, pride, lustfulness (lusting in vain)

The encouragement you get when you feel you are part of something bigger than yourself, you are not alone, you are not just an individual, you matter. That in the big picture, warren buffett or jeff bezos is not bigger than you, not your lord.

There is no Lord but there are lords of the earth, and landlords. There is no 'Covenant' but there are covenants. There is no holy law, but there is law of the land, and enforcement of it. There is no Kindgom, but there are earthly dominions and powers. Religion closes one's eyes. yes it feeds one opiates, and makes ones brain and senses dull and represses one's sexuality- if one follows the commands or takes after one's role models in the new testament.

Money is not god, but money is a power, and it should be understood. It is not quite god but almost, but if all you seek is money, you'll be unhappy in the end, but if you don't seek money or don't work to make yourself needed and valuable to others, you'll be unhappy. If you don't either gain independence (as a man) or indispensableness, as a man or woman, you will be unhappy.

I deluded my self.. which means my I must not be my self because why would Me delude ME? IT must have been bugs and viruses that got inside of me, making me giddy and making my behavior laughable and foolish, making me a joke, like I see happening in my training at my job. It is two people in particular, somalians, who are brothers and a third, a white american, who are joking around, trying to make everyone in the class giddy, trying to get everyone off track- distracting people by some insidious design and there's no level of humiliation they won't stoop to, and they play the race card repeatedly- as a joke. How does a king deal with a joker? These jokers must have motives as well and it scares me to not know what those motives are.

My self was therefore deluded, by this social construct which is called "I" you might say, but by outside parties, by media masters and social normalizers, those who we take our social cues from- and make no mistake, they are rich and powerful. You know every bit of shelf space at your supermarket is accounted or as a result of price wars and bidding and business wars. If something exists, it is because it won a place, or else it is passing. If some idea in our culture exists, it is because it is acceptable to the powerful, or else it is at war against counter-ideas, or else it is a fluke, it is passing. And they do not always have YOUR interest at heart. There is no god, but there are gods, and devils, and you must just stay on track, break the curse, design your universe, create karma, work hard and stay on track and know the value of all things in your life. But my self, which I am trying to become, got deluded and deceived, and then too proud to let go, until forced, and this is still underway. I am still proud, but when "I" becomes humbled, and I merges with self, and stays there in all contexts and circumstances, then I will be my Self and fully recognizing truth as seen through pure eyes, in the here and now- nothing mystical or supernatural. It's easy to get to this state in nature or with a girlfriend who is a natural woman, but to make money and keep your sense of self is a trick. But I deluded self with religion and belief, and of course I regret, and the regret, the "it was" keeps me more in a prison, as does my views on gender and sexuality and love- my fairy tale interpretation delusion, where I have to be the prince and the princess should just be a passive woman who receives and decides to accept me. It is not my place to try be a pimp and make women support me economically, but a little bit of equality would not be bad, for the sake of there being a chance at real (erotic) love. So having been so deluded I'm full of regret, which keeps me bonded, because I keep saying "I could have" and "It was", rather than "I willed it thus". When I snap out of this, I will have one more degree of freedom.

And in getting this degree of freedom, and to keep myself free of the danger of falling backwards, I really do NEED to recognize and appreciate, appraise, all the good that Christianity or the Christian system claims for itself, the virtues, and so on. I guess I am entitled to feel special and individual and meaningful and equal to a jeff bezos or a warren buffett, on some level, even without there being a 'god' jehova or lord, because if I don't, and it is my will to feel special, then feeling this way will be conditional on accepting (internalizing/identifying with) some crazy dogma.

It's very good in life to know the score, to assess things at the value they currently are, especially your own place in a given environment. To not know the score when you should is the highest form of delusion, and encompasses many cases of religious delusions, relationship worthiness delusions, and so much more. And even if you are valuable, you must know where your value lies precisely, and why you are loved. When I say you must know your value and be honest, by knowing the score, I mean you must humble yourself where you are too proud, but you must also raise yourself where you are too self-deprecating- and in many cases, value cannot be raised through work or change, but in many, it can. Don't let Christianity be the only game in town for these things and for self-improvement and life change, that works on a deep spiritual level.

I said it before, I'll say it again, I take a lot to inspiration from the Germans, and German history, all the way from the beginning up to the 21st century with few if any breaks. Yeah they are not religious and yet they take a day of rest on sunday, veen more than the religious states of america-- another practice that Christianty doesn't monopolize.

Keep the baby. Through out the bathwater. It's what I"m trying to say. Otherwise you may be at risk for going back and forth in your thinking, a door is open to re-conversion or else polarized confused thinking, or else if nothing else, lack of sensitivity and understanding towards those who believe.

Now if anyone knows a formula or means by which I can make women easily trust me and open up to me and share personal information, the feelings of their hearts, so I can enjoy them. Even if it doesn't lead anywhere physical, I really enjoy a woman who is open to me and like an equal in every way, but yet does most of the talking- not whining, babbling, complaining, commanding, but talking. this is my ideal, what I can enjoy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 02:19 PM
RE: positive aspects of christianity
I have no idea what you trying to say...what does, "When we sexualize an idea that is relative or even wrong/ like a meme for instance- when we have sexual feelings about this idea- we are hooked good, we are sex slaves of the brain." Mean?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
After each viking thread I feel like i need a rape kit for my brain.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 4 users Like sporehux's post
03-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Hahahah! Sporehux!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
The thread title is an oxymoron.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
03-11-2013, 06:41 PM
TLDR but mostly because Viking posted it
Big Grin

Without reading what you wrote, I will respond to the title.

What does christianity do ?
It gathers people together for a fraudulent endeaver of convincing them to part with their money. It commits fraud plain & simple.
It does take a small portion of the funds it obtains to help a few people while keeping the majority of the money for themselves.
Tobacco companies do the same thing by giving to charities while choking the life out of millions
It attempts to control people and their behavior, creating a narrative that preys upon peoples fear of the unknown.

The BTK strangler was a serial killer who was also a scout leader.
The small positive things he did to help kids in the scouts doesn't compare the serial killing he was convicted of.
A little bit of positive doesn't mean a damn thing when the majority of your acts are harmful and sometimes evil, if I may use that word.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-11-2013, 07:27 PM
If it had been anyone else I may have been tempted to read it, but since I am usually appalled by your posts I decided not to. Sorry tldr

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
03-11-2013, 07:29 PM
They sure knew how to keep a good fire going back in the day; I'll give them that. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
(03-11-2013 02:21 PM)sporehux Wrote:  After each viking thread I feel like i need a rape kit for my brain.

I hope you don't mind if I borrow that phrase and add it to my toolkit of witty retorts. Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
03-11-2013, 09:28 PM
(03-11-2013 06:41 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The BTK strangler was a serial killer who was also a scout leader.
The small positive things he did to help kids in the scouts doesn't compare the serial killing he was convicted of.
A little bit of positive doesn't mean a damn thing when the majority of your acts are harmful and sometimes evil, if I may use that word.

This. I have no idea what viking was trying to say, but when people say, "...but xianity sometimes does good things!" I am tempted to say, "so what?" Some good things don't cancel out the bad. Also, I'd say that if a christian does good things, they are often doing good in spite of their religion rather than because of it.

And the so-called "virtues" that viking mentions existed before xianity, xianity doesn't own those things, nor did it come up with any of them first.

Also, wtf is viking's problem with sexuality and women?
Quote:Now if anyone knows a formula or means by which I can make women easily trust me and open up to me and share personal information, the feelings of their hearts, so I can enjoy them.
Yes, because there is a one size fits all "formula" for tricking women into talking to you... Rolleyes If you need someone to talk to, you could always pay a counselor to listen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post