post deleted

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 05:52 PM by ashleypersuasion.)
post deleted
post deleted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 04:53 PM
RE: wanting to seek professional help
It doesn't really matter all that much (although it's nice if it happens) whether s/he cares.

S/he is to your person as a mechanic is to your car. S/he is supposed to understand the issue and know how to fix it.

It's nice if the mechanic is also a nice guy, and the same goes for a health professional. But the rapport is not as important as you may think - what IS important is that he can string together all your symptoms and arrive at a solution that helps.

Now, you may want to do a little research first and figure out which branch of psychology you like, there are many ways to go. You could start here and follow links....

wiki on psychology

I have not had reason to see a psychologist for council, but I have worked with a number of them, and the ones I knew all were very concerned with their patients.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 06:00 PM by amyb.)
RE: wanting to seek professional help
Yeah, I disagree with your mother about hiding things from the psychiatrist, at least if those things are relevant. As long as you aren't seriously threatening to harm yourself or others, s/he has to maintain confidentiality. And if it's something relevant, I think it's best to tell the person.

As for personal experiences, I've had good and bad. Sometimes, as with other doctors and people in general, you just don't click with the person and it makes things more difficult. Other times, you feel totally comfortable and can talk about anything. Currently, i am seeing a counselor (not a psychiatrist) weekly. The rapport may be less important, as Dom said, but it helps to at least feel comfortable if you are talkign about very personal things. Next week I'm also seeing a different counselor, because the place nearby only has counselors, social workers, and psychologists, and they want me to discuss meds with a psychiatrist (and I can't even see him until 3 counseling sessions, in which they apparently try to steal me away from my regular counselor. Won't happen though, I like him and he's withing walking distance).

If you are able to see one and feel it would help, I think it would be worth a try, at least.

ETA: Welp, I'm sorry I wasted time replying to a thread that the OP deleted the first post of.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user