postcard on Postsecret.com

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 01:05 PM
postcard on Postsecret.com
I saw this one today and it got me wondering. Many of us are parents and we have concerns about Santa, God and how we should approach these topics. Typically we think of Santa as the 'trial run' for belief in a god, not the other way around.

[Image: santa.jpg]

discuss..

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2013, 01:15 PM
RE: postcard on Postsecret.com
(22-12-2013 01:05 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I saw this one today and it got me wondering. Many of us are parents and we have concerns about Santa, God and how we should approach these topics. Typically we think of Santa as the 'trial run' for belief in a god, not the other way around.

[Image: santa.jpg]

discuss..
Presents could be viewed as physical evidence of Santa to a child. He even signs them! Surely, it couldn't be the parentsTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
23-12-2013, 12:44 AM
I think Santa is a useful tool in teaching your child to think critically. Never directly give away the non-existence of Santa, but every time a kid has a question offer them up 'well some people think this...' explanation. Eventually (hopefully) their curiosity will overcome their desire for an answer, and they will ask you the 'does he exist?' question. Then, ask them what they think. If they're at that point and they say something along the lines of 'I just think it's all of the parents', tell them 'Congratulations! You figured it out!'.

That lesson will stick with them forever, and they'll remember it if anybody starts telling them about another invisible magical man the in sky...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-12-2013, 08:53 AM
One thing I've noticed about kids believing in Santa is, when they figure it out, I've never heard of a kid resenting their parents for having lied to them. They might be initially crushed, or perhaps humiliated by their friends who figured it out earlier, but I never hear about kids demanding to know "how could you do this to me?" or some such.

I'm actually pretty curious why that is. Is it just the age of the kid when they typically find out? I know that kids are pretty forgiving to their parents for quite some time.

As for my own personal views, if I were raising my kids on my own without my wife, I wouldn't have ever told them Santa was real, but that's just because I don't like lying and I'm not particularly good at it. I do see it as only one step away from teaching your kids religions. The only one difference I see there is that the parents also believe it, and if the kid asks them "is God really real?" the parent will still say "yes".