prayer debunked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2015, 10:01 AM
RE: prayer debunked
(23-02-2015 09:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  I get excellent results from praying to my massage chair. If I say "Hmm, I need a pick me up for my sore back" and put my fate in the hands of said chair, a healing miracle occurs. Every time.

I worship that chair, best invention ever made. Tongue

I LOVE mine! Nothing like a set of hot balls going up and down your back to make things right.....oh...wait...um.. Unsure

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
23-02-2015, 01:26 PM
I pray to my calculator and my pencil that I do well on my tests.

My results are generally good.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
23-02-2015, 02:07 PM
(23-02-2015 01:26 PM)natachan Wrote:  I pray to my calculator and my pencil that I do well on my tests.

My results are generally good.

Just finished one final, take a mental break, then do the other one Weeping

Best of luck!

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
23-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Got a 100 on linear algebra midterm. Another on drafting midterm. Got two more in surveying and thermo before spring break.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
23-02-2015, 03:16 PM
(20-02-2015 05:46 PM)Dahlia Wrote:  I sometimes imagine what the world would be like if everyone stopped praying and actually did something to help people who are suffering from illness or injury. What if they all became medical professionals or volunteers? The world would be unrecognizable, and in the best possible way.

In one of the TTA podcasts, Seth brought up a tweet from Ricky Gervais about this. It was one of the recent times when bad tornadoes hit Oklahoma, and all these celebrities were tweeting stuff about sending prayers for Oklahoma. Gervais responed "Now I feel stupid. All I sent was money!" (that may be paraphrased).
[+] 3 users Like dogerdog's post
23-02-2015, 03:17 PM
(23-02-2015 02:13 PM)natachan Wrote:  Got a 100 on linear algebra midterm. Another on drafting midterm. Got two more in surveying and thermo before spring break.

Nice!

I just finished my CRJ 565 Leadership Applications in Criminal Justice final *gag* and next I have to do my CRJ 550 Legal Issues in Criminal Justice Administration final *vomit*

I need a drink

[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
23-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Even when I was a theist, the way Christians treat prayer bothered me. The implied belief from what they say is that if enough believers pray for someone's illness, god might change his mind and reverse someone's illness or injury. Here are some implications of that belief:
1) If no one specifically asks, god will ignore the situation
2) If not enough believers ask, god will ignore the situation
3) In either case, god hasn't yet made up his mind on whether or not he will intervene in the situation.
These three implications fly in the face of the claim that god is all-knowing. They also paint a picture of a deity who's out there minding his own business, then suddenly notices people asking for prayer, and then says to himself, "well, it seems like I might ought to intervene, but they just haven't gotten a big enough prayer circle going." The thought that this all-loving, all-knowing father type will only help you if enough people ask is ridiculous. Though now that I think about it, this god does sound like the god of the Torah, who seemed oblivious for a while to the fact that his "chosen people" were slaves in Egypt.
23-02-2015, 03:34 PM
(23-02-2015 03:29 PM)dogerdog Wrote:  Even when I was a theist, the way Christians treat prayer bothered me. The implied belief from what they say is that if enough believers pray for someone's illness, god might change his mind and reverse someone's illness or injury. Here are some implications of that belief:
1) If no one specifically asks, god will ignore the situation
2) If not enough believers ask, god will ignore the situation
3) In either case, god hasn't yet made up his mind on whether or not he will intervene in the situation.
These three implications fly in the face of the claim that god is all-knowing. They also paint a picture of a deity who's out there minding his own business, then suddenly notices people asking for prayer, and then says to himself, "well, it seems like I might ought to intervene, but they just haven't gotten a big enough prayer circle going." The thought that this all-loving, all-knowing father type will only help you if enough people ask is ridiculous. Though now that I think about it, this god does sound like the god of the Torah, who seemed oblivious for a while to the fact that his "chosen people" were slaves in Egypt.

[Image: funny-pictures-jesus-laptop-facebook.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
23-02-2015, 08:08 PM
I prayed that your debunking would be successful Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post